Mod Commercial Display Panel software
Hey kodudes,

I am tentatively researching the idea of writing custom software to drive display panels in shops and restaurants (where store owners can update content). Some displays will be made of many panels.

I'm considering using KODI as a platform.

Any comments about it being fit for the purpose?

I thought I would start by making a custom skin, and then going from there.

Does the API allow for things like picture in picture?

Would I implement this as a skin/mod?

I don't want to be writing anything in C, but I would be comfortable using Python.
FWIW, Kodi does support multiple screens only as clones. Not 4-8 displays as 1 big screen.
There is also this add-on, that is somewhat related to what you are doing... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=298093
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
mplayer has some interesting output options.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Cheers. In the case of multiple displays, there is usually a bit of hardware which routes the pixels. I only need to export one hi-res image.

I'm more interested in the other aspects of control like sending multiple feeds to the one output as picture-in-picture (or split screen etc).
Kodi does not support PIP.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Commercial Display Panel software0