Kodi needs to go commercial
Hey,

I realize this wont win me any popularity contests, but here goes any way...

Imho Kodi needs to be a commercial product, or maybe even a subscription based license. Here's why:

Open source is all well and good, and it's amazing what the Kodi dev team has done so far, but the fact is that ancient issues in the coding aren't being tackled. Requested features that require a lot of recoding aren't being implemented because no one wants to tackle them because they are too much of a hassle. There is NO incentive to work on lucrative partnerships which could push the future of kodi further because well... it ISN'T lucrative, it's free!

There is nothing more motivating than a big payday, and that's a fact.

I have used Kodi for years, ever since the early XBMC versions, and I still run into the same issues. I love Kodi, but it's a PITA, and I would gladly pay up to several hundred $ for a fully working, headache free version of Kodi. I would gladly pay a subscription service to keep it going, and I would have no problem with new retail versions coming out every year or every other year.

If only these old nagging pains could be hammered out...

- Kodi library integration is becoming a pain with all these new streaming services coming out. There needs to be a better way to use the library with streaming services. Otherwise what's the point of Kodi? I can just use my smart TV to watch netflix! The real power of Kodi is in it's sleek design, and that's exactly what you don't get when you use streaming services.

- Playlists, and especially tags are a hassle for large collections. There needs to be a better way to manage tags. Preferably in the form of more powerful integrated tag manager or a stand alone online tag manager along the lines of trakt.tv, only... better... and actually able to manage tags.

- The not mixing series and movies in the same category. This is an issue for documentaries, and this issue has been around since the stone age. I understand it's a big PITA to work around this and get it implemented. I also understand a lot of people are willing to PAY good money to see this happen.

- More user friendly skin customization. Short of a few skins in Kodi are a hassle to customize and sometimes extremely technical to do so. Having your Kodi look the way you want shouldn't be a full time job, it should be a weekend project.

So now we have a bazillion streaming services, none of them play nice with kodi library and none of them offer everything you might have in your collection, so you are stuck with library integration and hopping between streaming services. This is not desirable, what is desirable is a single interface that handles everything, and Kodi is the perfect interface to do just that... if only it could.

So there you have it. Kodi is great as it is, especially for the price point, which is well... 0. It would be BETTER if it was more streamlined with todays streaming services, and imho, the only way to motivate people to do this is to pay them, to cut them in, to make partnerships with existing streaming services, partnerships that will be lucrative to them, and so Kodi needs to be lucrative.

So this is me, putting my money down for a better and brighter future for Kodi.
* ironic_monkey shakes head.

man how far this community has fallen from its origins.
(2017-07-13, 13:54)Mercury Wrote: There is nothing more motivating than a big payday, and that's a fact.

I have to disagree with this point, and would humbly submit that it is actually just a personal statement by the OP rather than a fact.
Kodi Nexus on Dell Optiplex 980 Lubuntu 22.04 | Kodi Nexus on HTPC Lubuntu 20.04 | My Add-ons | Legacy Repo | Matrix Repo
>>>>> Newest MetalChris Addons: Redbox | NEWSnet | NHL Radio | Weather Unlocked
Hey, you could just try plex or as I understand it (and I may be wrong), there is nothing to stop anyone from creating a fork and do what you want, as long as they don't call it kodi

I don't use kodi to play any on line streams so for my needs it is just about perfect (video fanart as standard would be nice though nudge nudge)
HTPC
PC: Home Built
Processor: i7 6700k
GPU: GTX 980 ti
Ram: 16GB DDR4
XBMC: Kodi Jarvis
Skin: Aeon Badnox Beta

(2017-07-13, 14:02)ironic_monkey Wrote: * ironic_monkey shakes head.

man how far this community has fallen from its origins.
+1

Sent from my SM-G935T
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
If you're willing to "... gladly pay up to several hundred $" please donate. We can always buy more beer, pizza, peanuts, etc.

Code is always welcome to fix "ancient issues in the coding [that] aren't being tackled."
f**k..... started editing without sudo | M.K.

Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
On a semi-related subject, I just read SoundCloud is going bust. Speak about big paydays Wink
Quote:Otherwise what's the point of Kodi?
Although streaming video is one aspect of Kodi it's not the prime reason the program exists. I didn't think there was "bazillion streaming services" in the official repository, perhaps I miscounted, or more likely your priorities are skewed.

old nagging user pains hammered out...

-As noted your priorities are skewed, https://kodi.tv/about/software

-Manage tags for the selected item from the context menu (add-on)

-19 posts and feel you have contributed to skin development?

-@toineb Plex is what happens when someone thinks Kodi should go commercial.

Quote: I would gladly pay a subscription service to keep it going
reoccurring donations are appreciated and automated https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate
Kodi should NOT become a commercial product. Not becoz i wouldnt wana pay a few bucks for it. But because kodi would then likely become the umpteenth case of a brilliant product (conceived by a bunch of tech guys who just wana make the best of breed), becoming screwed over 10 times coz a band of marketing aholes wanna use every feature to squeeze the living daylights out of the user base. That would kill it. Nobody wants kodi to answer to a shareholder. Kodi needs to answer to its users only
Hold on... Who says we need to answer to the users as well?
We do it got our own fun.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I've used htpcs since 2003, and have used windows media centre and XBMC/kodi only one of those is still around... one had paid staff and the other one didn't, money was th motivator to kill MCE it wasn't making much:.:
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |
Kodi is a meda player. I've already got a smart TV with access to Amazon, Netflix etc. Even if I didn't have a smart TV a Roku easily gives you access to subscription and free streaming services.

I use Kodi to have a great media player for my local content (and Plex to access it remotly but thats not the subject here). I dont see any point changing Kodi in this regard.
(2017-07-13, 13:54)Mercury Wrote: - Kodi library integration is becoming a pain with all these new streaming services coming out. There needs to be a better way to use the library with streaming services. Otherwise what's the point of Kodi? I can just use my smart TV to watch netflix! The real power of Kodi is in it's sleek design, and that's exactly what you don't get when you use streaming services.

Buuut... Kodi's primary design is for local/LAN content playback...
Buuuut the OP is saying we need to concentrate on streaming services as well as local lan playback. And that would be nice, but co-operation by netflix, amazon et al isn't the greatest. But efforts are ongoing, netflix support within Kodi has been enormously improved without any payday incemtive.

Quite how the OP thinks all the people who have ever contributed to Kodi (and are therefore copyright holders) are going to agree to the licence changing is beyond me.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I have another idea/

If the OP would gladly pay up to several hundred $ for a fully working, headache free version of Kodi, how about using that money on a coding course so that you can fix the issues.

Then, when he has made it perfect, he can make lots of money from all the media outlets clamouring for interviews.

But whilst my tongue is in cheek, I am being a tad unfair to the OP.

We are all different people and sociopaths will always of course, choose the route of most fortune, so we should have empathy for the diversity of human characteristics.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi needs to go commercial0