Touchscreen + HDMI
So I'm planning a project involving Kodi on a Pi, and am wondering if anyone else has done something similar.

Background
My wife and I are buying a new house that's an original Mid-Century Modern house, and there's literally no place in the great room to hang a TV on a wall (all glass), with the exception of the rock fireplace wall, and no TV is going to be hanging on the rock. So, the plan is to build an old-school stereo cabinet in a Mid-Century design.

The Plan
I've designed and built plenty of furniture, and have an extensive set of woodworking tools. I've also designed and built speakers and subwoofers. The cabinet will look like a typical MCM sideboard, but when the TV is turned on from a remote, it'll rise out of the cabinet, and be hidden when off. For audio, it'll be stereo only, with the speaker design based on whether I can design a folded horn subwoofer to fit inside the cabinet or not.

I'll be using Kodi on a Pi as my primary media player, for movies, PVR (whole-house MythTV OTA), and especially music. All gear will be located left and right of the cabinet, accessed from the top of the cabinet from flip up panels (see the attached photo below).

The Question
As one avenue of control, I'd like to put a Pi touchscreen inside the cabinet under one of the flip-up panels, where the touch screen would be the main display, but then have the player output via HDMI. So, one could walk to the cabinet, open a lid, use the touchscreen to select a movie which would play on the TV, while the Kodi interface remains on the touchscreen.

I know that video output can be directed to HDMI on a Pi where the touchscreen is the default display as in the following example:
PHP Code:
# omxplayer --display=5 video.mkv 
But the question is—has anyone here done anything similar? Or, does anyone know if the player can be routed in this manner (I think it can)?

If no one knows, I'll try to hack it myself and get it to work and report back.

BTW, when I was a kid, we had the stereo TV cabinet in the middle of this advert. The tuners were on the right side, and turntable on the left.
Or barring dual displays on a Pi, perhaps using Kodi on a touchscreen Pi to control another (e.g., more powerful) Kodi box? That is, using the Pi as a remote, but with the full Kodi interface.
I would be more tempted to use an Android tablet as the pop up, with kore or yatse to control your Kodi machine (which could be a pi.).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I currently use Yatse to control my 5 Kodi boxes, and plan on using it in the new house as well, and that might work. Do you know of any Android tablets that have an Ethernet port? 'Cause wifi is a deal breaker for inclusion inside the cabinet.
There will be some that have the ability to use a USB to Ethernet I think. The raspberry pi with touch screen could also be used via web browser to control another raspberry running Kodi.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-07-14, 01:22)nickr Wrote: The raspberry pi with touch screen could also be used via web browser to control another raspberry running Kodi.

I think that's going to be my go to if I can't get the full interface idea to work.
Why is wifi out of the question?
I don't like the idea of using wifi in a permanent installation. I know that I'd be the only person who knows it's using wifi, but it would bug me everyday. And all it would have to do is fail once, and the wife would never trust it again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Touchscreen + HDMI0