• 4(current)
v17 Grid for Krypton
(2017-07-23, 20:33)kingogondo Wrote:
(2017-07-23, 17:00)IdiotSavante Wrote:
(2017-07-23, 08:53)AssafM Wrote: Looks good.
i think the home screen needs some more work, it doesn't look like it belongs with the rest.
Agree to disagree, I think the Home Screen is perfect. Simple, elegant, no fuss.
Same here. It's elegant. I like a design that is not overloaded.

Nod

+1 It's stunning!
Arctic Fuse - Alpha now available. Support me on Ko-fi.
So in an earlier comment I mentioned that the widget implementation in Grid is slightly unconventional.

If there is one thing that bugs me about "traditional" widget implementations, it's that for many entries one would find in home menus there just aren't any truly useful applications imo. Sure, for movies, tv shows, music, etc. you can display recently added items, unwatched items and so on. But when it comes to pictures or settings for example it comes down to either not showing any widget for those items (which looks weird imo) or to just put stuff there for the sake of having something there.

So my plan for Grid was to cut out the placeholders and fillers and to "detach" widgets from the home menu completely. No matter what item is highlighted in the main menu, I want fast access to the widgets that matter. If I need to scroll to a certain menu item first to be able to get to a certain widget, the widget has mostly missed it's primary goal anyway imo.

In Grid pressing right on the main menu will always bring you to the same group of widgets you have configured. Think of it more like a newsfeed or something like that.

Anyway, some screenshots of the widgets are below. I don't think it will come across right by looking at screenshots but I'm too lazy too make a video at the moment Tongue Scrolling through the items in the widget can be done by using left/right. Pressing up/down will move to the previous/next widget. Pressing left from the first item in the widget or pressing back will return focus to the main menu and hide the widgets again.

Widget layout options
Per widget there are several layout options:

Fullscreen
Well, it's a fullscreen widget... Showing the fanart of the movie, tvshow or artist plus metadata and (plot) descriptions. Please ignore the double title here, that's an issue I didn't notice when I made the screenshot

Spotlight
A 21:9 wide image with the same info as a fullscreen widget.

Posters
Pretty self explanatory

Wide
Also in the screenshot above, 16:9 landscape images you that you also find in the library views. In this widget you can choose to display either 16:9 thumbnails or fanart combined with logo's and in the case of a widget displaying episodes, episode thumbnails.

Square
Square images mainly aimed at album covers. No access available to a screenshot of this at the moment but you get the picture Smile

Configuring the widgets
The tricky part here is that the Skin Shortcuts add-on is not (yet) prepared for a widget implementation separate from the main menu. Because of that, configuring the widgets currently is a bit jarring and not very logical for this implementation. To add a widget you still need to add it to a main menu item even though functionally its not connected to that main menu item.

Configuring the widgets this way is a temporary solution because the amazing Bob Cratchett has let me know he is looking into adding support for this in the Skin Shortcuts add-on, however it's not a trivial request so it might take a while for that to see the light.

Further customization
  • Not shown in the screenshots above are the widget titles and item counts. These can be turned on in the skin settings.
  • An alternate homescreen layout will have the widgets feed permanently visible next to the main menu instead of it hidden offscreen until focused
oh god
looks so stunning to me
INTEL: Celeron - UHD 610 | KODI: 18.3
This is great work! Beautiful!
Jaw = Dropped.. The colours are just perfect! very much looking forward to the public beta release. Thank you for your hard work Smile
~Web and graphic designer... Linux enthusiast... Python Fan... A Gooner~
[AMD A10-7850K 3.7 Ghz, Radeon R7]
[Fedora 27] | [Kodi - 17.6 / Skin - Grid]

Thanks folks!

I'm not going to set a date for the public beta release (mainly because I have failed so many I did set in the past) but I just rounded up our internal Beta 2 release, which means all focus is now on cleaning up the code and ironing out any last bugs that may come out of testing.

Just so you know this isn't going to drag on for months Smile
Wow, it's stunning. That widget implementation with a spotlight is something I've been looking for for a while (it should look very nice in a tv setup like mine).

Hit me up if you need a Spanish translation.
(2017-07-27, 21:47)tico10d Wrote: Wow, it's stunning. That widget implementation with a spotlight is something I've been looking for for a while (it should look very nice in a tv setup like mine).

Hit me up if you need a Spanish translation.

Definitely, translation efforts will be very welcome.

When the public beta is released I will post some details on the translation process.

Cheers,

Jeroen
keep on the good work. cant wait for the beta release
Great work jeroen, excited to give this a go. Knowing how your work on refocus turned out, I'm sure this too will beat expectations.
Goodness gracious, step up from refocus which was great.
Move on to even greater things!
Looks stunning!
I've been a fan of ReFocus all along and can't wait to try out Grid.

Would also be happy to support the project with a german translation. Smile
This skin looks absolutely amazing! Keep up the good work. Can't wait for the beta release, really want to try it Smile
Thanks folks,

I have decided on a (provisional) release target. I plan to put up a preview release somewhere in the weekend of August 12th. This is subject to change but I do have the intention of following up on it Smile

(2017-08-04, 14:22)Lenn Wrote: Looks stunning!
I've been a fan of ReFocus all along and can't wait to try out Grid.

Would also be happy to support the project with a german translation. Smile

Translations are definitely welcome. If you want to get a head start, the Transifex project is up Smile

And thank you for your donation!
Loving everything I see here and can't wait to try it. Hope you add Imdb/meta/rotton tomatoes rating to the views as an option perhaps!
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Grid for Krypton10