Linux My current MOBO is dying - what to do next
Hi!

I've got a ubuntu LTS rig with a bunch of HDDs in a nice HTPC case. Right now I have there some G41 mobo, X3220 cpu and an Nvidia G210 GPU. This is old, but runs fine. The mobo starts to die. It powers on once every 3 tries, sometimes it does not come up at all.

So it is time for new gear !

I'm using the box mostly to view kids movies, it works as a NAS as well. We do watch a lot of JPEGs on it - all of the family photos are there and we show them at least 2-3 times a week. The only cpu consuming thing that the setup does is running scripts that compress images into smaller sizes and headless google photos sync.

The question is - what to buy now? Since current hardware lasted so long, I think that the new one should be 4k 10bit AVC capable. I would like to go down with the price and power consumption as possible. I do not want to get rid of current HDDs and chassis.

Options:
- G3930 with a H110 mobo and some 4G of ram
- G3900 with a H110 mobo and some 4G of ram
- j4205 mobo with some 4G of ram. (a tad more money but so much less power used and one fan less)
- j3455 or j3355 + 4G of ram?
- cross fingers and wait for Gemini Lake?

Should I be worried that the speed of decompressing 16 MPix JPEGs would drop or should I not?
You sure it's the motherboard? It could also be the power supply.

J4205 + j3455 mobos have 4 SATA ports, so 1 ssd + 3 hdds maximum, can do 4K60fps 10bit (no hdr) and need no extra video card.
Coffee Lake / Gemini Lake (?) were rumored to be released earlier, but it's all wait-and-see.

H110 motherboards are the simple boards, so only HDMI 1.4 output (4K30fps) on the motherboard. But they have upto 6 SATA ports.

Ubuntu LTS + Nvidia => Only 8bit video support. Windows and Nvidia = 10 bit.
Nvidia had stopped VDPAU support, so future support in Kodi Linux is uncertain.

In terms of video support, Intel is the safer choice for Kodi.
fair point - I'll check the PSU.

So there is no reason to pay more for the J4205? And for video decoding the J3455 is just as good?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My current MOBO is dying - what to do next0