SMB for Music was working in Kodi 17.3, but it stopped.
Hello, and Bless you for this Forum!!!

SMB for Music was working in Kodi 17.3 on an Amazon Fire TV Stick (Ver 2), but it stopped. I had it successfully configured and working from my NAS in a fresh installation of Krypton 17.3 with nothing else installed into Kodi, but when I installed some Video add-ons like ESPN, it stopped working. I tried to set it up after that for Video via SMB, but that doesn't work either. When it stopped working, I was getting a Timeout message from the previously working configuration, so I cleared Kodi by deleting all data to start over.

Now, browsing for Windows network (SMB) finds nothing anymore. When I try "Add network location" with Protocol set to "Windows network (SMB)," browsing finds nothing. When I have the SMB added manually and named, it doesn't see it, and it still does not work if I add it anyway. I have tried configuring it manually to the Router IP, and to the NAS IP. Kodi itself is set to the Router IP, and the Workgroup is properly named.

If it matters, it's a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo that is connect via CAT5E to the Router. The NAS can be accessed and is working with various Windows PCs, but not by Kodi. I tried the Kodi setup several ways: giving it an entered name, and leaving the name the IP Address, but nothing works anymore. I named it ReadyNAS, 192.168.1.1 (the Router), and 192.168.1.107 (the ReadyNAS). I used to be able to Browse and see computers and the NAS, but not anymore. Sad

For the record, I have Jesus Box TV Media Pro installed outside of Kodi for everything else. I started using that when Indigo became unavailable. After installing a movie package into Jesus Box Media Pro, it no longer has SMB Music ability, that I can find. However, Kodi used to work for this complete setup, with Kodi used for only Music via SMB, but after installing ESPN and such into Kodi (or maybe into the Fire Stick), SMB stopped working.

I am willing to totally clear the Fire Stick and start over again, if that's what it takes... even though I've already done that (this worked previously when Kodi broke before by adding video add-ons, but not now). I have completely started over 3 times now because adding things breaks SMB in Kodi. However, there may be specific steps that I need to follow, so if this is the case, your guidance will be appreciated.

If there are any questions about my configurations, please ask.

Any help will be appreciated! Smile Thanks in advance,

Craig
I'll raise an eyebrow at the mentions of what that "Jesus Box" stuff appears to be, and of Indigo. We want nothing to do with those, as per the forum rules (wiki) you've previously accepted. We're not interested in pirate streaming.

However, taking it on good faith that you've genuinely got a problem with vanilla Kodi, installed from a suitable site (e.g. here or an official store) - please post a debug log (wiki) so we can see what's going on.
Search | Banned addons (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | FAQs (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Add-ons (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Debug log (wiki)Free Content
(2017-07-16, 18:23)Prof Yaffle Wrote: I'll raise an eyebrow at the mentions of what that "Jesus Box" stuff appears to be, and of Indigo. We want nothing to do with those, as per the forum rules (wiki) you've previously accepted. We're not interested in pirate streaming.

However, taking it on good faith that you've genuinely got a problem with vanilla Kodi, installed from a suitable site (e.g. here or an official store) - please post a debug log (wiki) so we can see what's going on.
OK, sorry. I did not read the forum rules. Blush I'll start over again on my own. I don't know anything about pastebin yet, so if I keep getting stuck, I'll come back here. I'll try it with nothing but Kodi... no add-ons to it or anything else.

Please don't mark this one closed yet. I may need to come back. Tongue I'll let yo know. OK?

Thanks for your fast reply,

Craig
Which version of Kodi do you recommend? I'm following the kodi wiki and there are three versions listed.

Thanks. Smile
(2017-07-16, 18:23)Prof Yaffle Wrote: However, taking it on good faith that you've genuinely got a problem with vanilla Kodi, installed from a suitable site (e.g. here or an official store) - please post a debug log (wiki) so we can see what's going on.
OK, I'm back. To be clear, this is an Amazon Fire TV Stick (Ver 2) that was purchased for $40 from Best Buy.

I reset it factory defaults, started over by installing the free and legal things I wanted from Amazon, then installed Downloader, and got Kodi Krypton 17.3 by following the Kodi Wiki instructions using Downloader by going to bit.ly/kodi173 (or whatever it was).

With a clean installation of Kodi, I still have the same SMB problems as before, so this is a link created by Kodi Logfile Uploader...

https://paste.ubuntu.com/25108534/

Thanks
In your log I see several lines with
Code:
"19:43:55.467 T:18446744072493203272   ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://ReadyNAS%20Duo/'
                                            unix_err:'6f' error : 'Connection refused'
  • I would expect at least a share name behind the address, like 'smb:/ReadyNAS%20Duo/Music', that might be a problem.
  • usually it is also faster/more reliable to use an IP address instead of a name, as long as the NAS has a fixed IP address.
  • Another thing might be that you have support for SMB 1.0 disabled, Windows doesn't need that but Android usually does.
  • The Android device might be using a wrong account to log on or might be blacklisted on the NAS.
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
(2017-07-17, 10:30)PH-SYM Wrote: In your log I see several lines with
Code:
"19:43:55.467 T:18446744072493203272   ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://ReadyNAS%20Duo/'
                                            unix_err:'6f' error : 'Connection refused'
  • I would expect at least a share name behind the address, like 'smb:/ReadyNAS%20Duo/Music', that might be a problem.
  • usually it is also faster/more reliable to use an IP address instead of a name, as long as the NAS has a fixed IP address.
  • Another thing might be that you have support for SMB 1.0 disabled, Windows doesn't need that but Android usually does.
  • The Android device might be using a wrong account to log on or might be blacklisted on the NAS.
Thanks for the reply!

After yesterday's rebuild, that was the first time that I ever saw "Connection refused," and it only said that once, that I noticed - the first time. I'll look into your suggestions and do what I can figure out from them. The first thing I'll do is try the actual share name (Music), then try naming it the IP address (again).

But what stumps me in having to reconfigure it in the first place is, what would have changed anything like that when it was actually working before? There have been no changes made to the Network, the Router configuration, or the NAS configuration that would have broken it in the first place. All that happened before it broke the first time was installing some of the free and legal Amazon things like "Watch ESPN". And why won't it let me Browse anymore? I used to be able to browse and see 2 computers and the NAS. Undecided

I'll report back this afternoon or evening. I have some appointments in town today. Thanks again,

Craig
It's not telling me Connection refused now. I get Timed out. Maybe error logging caused that? Huh
Music 
I found the problem. Nerd It's working now. Music

It was something that the devil made me do Devil so I can't say here. Angel

Thanks for everything and your great support! And thanks again for the forum,

Craig
Yes I can confirm no issues here with SMB and music sources on my LibreELEC setup.
Jesus Box has to be the worst named Piracy oriented Kodi Fork I've seen. o.o

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB for Music was working in Kodi 17.3, but it stopped.0