How can I access Kodi from outside my home network?
I've recently figured out how to access kodi and stream to my phone from my home network. I was wondering if there was a faq or a sticky about accessing your kodi media center from public networks. I know my external IP, and i know i need to forward Kodi's port to that ip and different port. And I'm going to want it password protected so random people don't stumble into it. But I can't seem to get it to work.

I have att U-verse, which has a combo router/modem I've never dealt with before.

My kodi is running openelec 8.0.4, Kodi 17.3, on a raspi3.

Haven't tried asking ATT yet, hoping to keep them out of my doings as much as possible.
Sorry for asking, how to stream my mkv files collection?

Sent from my EVA-L09
@EvilWayz: Access from the outside into your local network works by opening the related port(s) in your router. Port forwarding is set up differently in each router. I would also recommend to use different ports for outside to prevent port scanners having an easy time. Example: use port 3244 external to internal 8080 (webserver). Other than that, it depends on which services you use: Samba, NFS, SSH, etcetera... BTW, port forwarding does not work with passwords.

@atupi: Why are you hijacking someone else's topic?
So theres no secure way to access your media center on the public net? can i at least secure my smb shares?
Photo 
I know this isn't Kodi support but I was just wondering if I had this right.

(2017-07-16, 23:01)EvilWayz Wrote: can i at least secure my smb shares?

Yes, turn them off.

Port forwarding to an OpenELEC - and even LibreELEC - device, is a really bad idea IMHO, doubly so if SMB is involved.

You're exposing these devices to the entire internet, and their security is very limited (non-existant in the case of SMB). It's probably a nigh on certainty that they will be compromised eventually, and then the rest of your network will be next.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
*sigh* I just wanted to watch my media on my phone when I'm out. :/
So take it with you on uSD card or something?
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Set up a properly secured webserver
plex!
(2017-07-17, 09:35)wsnipex Wrote: Set up a properly secured webserver
 Or if you truly want the kodi interface (shared library perhaps), setup OpenVPN or Wireguard.
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
Hi everyone,

I have my personal VPN in Italy and I have the .ovpn file. Now I am USA and I would like to know how can I connect to my vpn from Kodi (raspberryPi-LibreELEC) using OpenVpn.

thanks!
(2019-09-29, 17:40)maureyes Wrote: have my personal VPN in Italy

That's all very nice, but we have a VPN policy (wiki) on this forum.
Also posting in an old thread is not the best way to ask questions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How can I access Kodi from outside my home network?0