Every time I want to buy something, I read something new
I have been thinking of getting an android box for a while now, but I just can't make up my mind what I want because of the surfeit of TV boxes around these days. Initially, I thought I just needed any android box that could load Kodi, stream from an IPTV app, and run a couple of console emulators, particularly N64.

I searched a while and I was convinced that YokaTV Pro was the one for me. It had all the right specs, had great reviews, and not to mention the price. Then, I watched some more reviews and realized that all these android boxes that come from China seem to be running the same firmware. That made me pause. I also came across @wrxtasy 's very comprehensive write-up here and realized I had just dodged a bullet. I've been trying out custom ROMs on my android phones for years and I know what it means to have a crappy OS: apps crash, CPU somethings goes wild, occasional reboots, some apps won't run, etc,. I've come to value stability over having that little bit additional functionality. That is how I came across the Minix U9.

I became convinced the U9 was the safest bet, but it is quite expensive. I will need to pay $160 (with A3 remote) and $25 shipping to where I currently reside. I've always heard of the Nvidia Shield, but always thought it was extremely expensive. It was only a couple of days ago that I realized that the Shield costs "only" $200. The Shield blows the U9 out of the water in terms of performance and only costs an extra $40. That extra performance could allow me to run more demanding emulators. That would have been a no brainier if it wasn't for the fact that it doesn't run open android.

So, based on my needs, what should I get ?

Thanks.

MOD EDIT: I changed the topic title for you.
wrxtasy is the expert as you have already found, I bought a Wetek Hub on the back of his recommendation & it has performed just fine. I've no idea if it meets your needs as I don't use emulators and the like, but for Kodi the Hub or Play2 should be fine & also reasonably future-proof. Ultimately though it's your choice but the guys here will have more accurate knowledge than anywhere else on the web.
Please rename your topic title to something more HTPC appropriate.
Anything is possible with Elbow grease Wink

[ROM][b][Full Android Nougat for Shield TV][v.1.3]

(2017-07-18, 20:38)wrxtasy Wrote: Anything is possible with Elbow grease Wink

[ROM][b][Full Android Nougat for Shield TV][v.1.3]

What's the catch here ? Surely, this is too good to be true. Something must definitely give for this to happen.
The catch is you have to read all 125 pages of support info for the "Full Android Nougat" experience Wink

(2017-07-18, 21:39)wrxtasy Wrote: The catch is you have to read all 125 pages of support info for the "Full Android Nougat" experience Wink

I actually don't mind that. In fact, I've read a 750 page thread on mobileread when someone gave me his Sony PRS-650 e-reader.

What I was trying to ask is, don't I lose some of the DRM features like watching Netflix in 4k ?
Welcome to the world of tech where nothing stands still and if you wait you wait forever.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Every time I want to buy something, I read something new0