v17 Hardware
Hi Everyone
I was wondering if you guys could please help me
I own a Minix 8H & it has come to the end of its useful life.
The question now is should I get a Minix 9H or should I get a
a notepad or laptop computer with obviously enough ram to run Kodi 17
& of course an HDMI output socket
Any advice would be much appreciated
Huh
A Minix is one of the xx-thousand'th cheap Android boxes for a fixed location (near a TV or monitor) , a notebook/laptop is for portable usage. Those are two pretty different solutions.

Enough RAM to run Kodi? LibreELEC runs on 512MB internal memory basically. I don't think RAM will be an issue.
What is your 'use case'? 1080p only? Hevc? 4K? Sound setup?

There are simple laptops with Apollo Lake (J3350/3455/4205/etc) CPU's that can do 4K/10bit.
Some devices like the ODroid C2 and the Wetek HUB have been testdriven to the max by now.
Thread moved to the main hardware section. Peripherals is for addon bits like remotes and keyboards
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-07-20, 14:41)Ernie Oldiron Wrote: I own a Minix 8H & it has come to the end of its useful life.
Unless you really really need Android and before buying new Hardware realise the S812-H is still fully capable. The GPU in it is actually superior to the AMLogic S905's which means the Kodi interface is snappier.

I would try flashing this to a Samsung EVO, Sandisk or Lexar 300x microSDHC card first:

S802/S812-Libreelec images for 7/8/x

Why do I say this. Well I've spent a couple of days running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on a pretty ancient AML S805 - ODROID C1 and its actually smoother and faster than the S905's I have running LibreELEC. Works really well with a MINIX A2 Lite remote. Smile

Then there is this from MINIX:

X8-H PLUS Lollipop RC2 firmware (July 2017)

(2017-07-20, 19:19)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-07-20, 14:41)Ernie Oldiron Wrote: I own a Minix 8H & it has come to the end of its useful life.
Unless you really really need Android and before buying new Hardware realise the S812-H is still fully capable. The GPU in it is actually superior to the AMLogic S905's which means the Kodi interface is snappier.

I would try flashing this to a Samsung EVO, Sandisk or Lexar 300x microSDHC card first:

S802/S812-Libreelec images for 7/8/x

Why do I say this. Well I've spent a couple of days running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on a pretty ancient AML S805 - ODROID C1 and its actually smoother and faster than the S905's I have running LibreELEC. Works really well with a MINIX A2 Lite remote. Smile

Then there is this from MINIX:

X8-H PLUS Lollipop RC2 firmware (July 2017)
Are you saying the odroid C1 runs better than the C2?
I'm saying combined with a Wireless MINIX A2 Lite remote, the speed of Kodi GUI and GUI smoothness is superior on the 8bit C1 vs the 10bit C2 for some reason, both running LibreELEC. A new user would be happy with the C2 tho. for a bit of 10bit future proofing.

In terms of raw performance numbers the C2 beats the C1 - especially when you start using 10bit 1080p/4K HEVC content.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware0