Router recommendations (USA)
Wasn't sure where to post this. I am struggling with inconsistent internet speeds. I am currently using the Charter Spectrum provided Arris TM822A modem & the Sagemcom F@st 5260 router. I am changing out both of them. I am pretty sure I want the Motorola MB7420 modem but there are so many routers available I'm just not sure what to get. I have a Minix Neo U1, if that makes any difference. I do a lot of streaming, not much gaming a all.
That's a modem only. They should have a webpage listing modem/router combos that are compatible with their system. Search a Netgear C6300.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Why would he want a combo?
(2017-07-21, 18:59)brazen1 Wrote: That's a modem only. They should have a webpage listing modem/router combos that are compatible with their system. Search a Netgear C6300.

Right...sorry. I wasn't clear on that. I meant that I already have a modem picked out but I am looking for recommendations for a router. I'll remove that part. It's unnecessary info.
Depends on what you want/need in a router. Best advice is to purchase local, so you can exchange if you don't like the one you purchase.

My Trendnet router died a few months ago, so I had to find a replacement. First one, did not have much WiFi range, second one had a horrible interface and lacked key features that I needed. Ended up with a Asus router and it is fantastic. Even before I purchased a router, I did several days of research of different routers, but that still did not help with real home evaluation.
I think a netgear R7000 is more than enough and should last you a few years. Mine has been very good and never had issues with it, multiple people streaming at the same time, wifi range is great and covers the full house even though the router is in the basement.

I tested about 5 routers in same price range and specs and netgear was top, didn't test Asus as its expensive to source. But if you can that would be best as I heard merlin firmware is amazing.
I am far from an expert but have had good luck with ASUS routers, running alternative firmwares- the most recent purchase was a refurbished RT-AC87R purchase from NewEgg in 2015, I installed asuswrt-merlin and it has been serving us well. This replaced an Asus RT-N66U ( also running merlin) that was purchased in 2013. I keep the RT-N66U setup for a plug and play backup for my wife to easily swap them out if needed as we use a VOIP phone service. We have business class ( network access only) and it is extremely consistent, but it is more expensive than the special packages with TV etc.
In the past I always went for Netgear or Asus top models. But there's not really a need for that anymore, that is "top models". I would still stick with Asus/Netgear but Asus AC66U (or higher) and Netgear R7000 (or higher) (both are both very suitable and should be more than good enough. I've had both and both are highly recommended. If you want to go up then there's always R7800 and AC68/87. Anything higher than this and the benefits are very very slim in real world applications.
I got the Google Wifi mesh 3 pack and it's great (all hardwired - if it's not hardwired it's alright but I wouldn't get it). I also have 3 Airport Extremes (802.11AC models) that are just wifi access points, but I'll replace those soon with 3 more Google Wifi's.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
What is your budget? And how large of an house do you have exactly?

If you have a large house then look into getting a set of "Mesh" WiFi system that is usually sold in either 2-pack or 3-pack today.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi...king-kits/
https://www.lifewire.com/best-mesh-wi-fi...ms-4139748
http://uk.pcmag.com/eero/87178/guide/the...ms-of-2017

Best brands if you got the budget for them are Linksys and Netgear.

If you have a smaller budget and only want one WiFi access-point then yes Asus gets you high-end hardware at a lower price.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Router recommendations (USA)0