4K Kodi
Question 
Hi

I'm new to the Kodi world, I sideloaded on my Apple TV 4 and fell in love. I was living on Popcorn Time and Chromecast before! So my question is, if I have a 4K TV that does HDR too, also I'm getting a 5.1.2 or 7.1 sound system setup, which would be the optimal hardware to run Kodi? Something that'll give me 5.1.2+ passthrough and run 4K effortlessly? Would the Apple TV 4 handle that? Or is it Vero 4K (from what I gathered from other posts)? Or something else? Please help. I just want to stream from Kodi I don't care about anything else.
Start here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
(2017-07-23, 08:52)Klojum Wrote: Start here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

Like I said, I've read that post. But I don't fully understand it.
Quote:(from what I gathered from other posts)
Quote:Like I said, I've read that post.
Ah, of course...
Quote:But I don't fully understand it.
So which part(s) don't you understand? Perhaps we can clarify things.
A 4K HDR TV should already have 4K HDR streaming Apps like Netflix, Amazon, Youtube and others...so....

AMLogic S905(x) - LibreELEC / OSMC - Kodi Krypton - 4K Options:

(Includes full HD Audio passthrough support and 16bit/192kHz Multichannel PCM audio output.)

Important Notes:
AML S905 = 99% of devices have Gigabit Ethernet (still check carefully)
AML S905X = Slower 100M Ethernet only & can handle HDR. Can decode 4K VP9 as well for what minor VP9 content there is. Good luck finding properly encoded 4K HDR content with correct HDR Metadata outside of Android TV only - HDR Netflix and HDR Amazon video streaming.

Q. I need Android 5.1/7.1 Audio passthrough (inc. Dolby Atmos/TrueHD, DTS:X/HD-Master) when using Kodi Krypton ?
NOTE: Android devices must meet the Google IEC61937 standard, more details in Welcome to Android MediaCodec standards
  • WeTek Play2
  • WeTek Hub
  • MINIX U9
  • NVIDIA Shield running Android Nougat (**Be aware - Audio passthrough is unreliable for some users)
  • Xiaomi Mi Box (uses backported Nougat Audio code)

Android Kodi does NOT have Auto 1080p/4K resolution switching for optimal 1080p/4K picture outputs when used with a 4K TV.
It does not fit the definition of "effortlessly".

Your question is not which 4K HDR capable media player hardware it is where are you going to get properly encoded 4K HDR content from anyway ?
Dodgy re-encodes will not really fulfill the purpose if you want the best out of a 4K HDR TV- you are better off using 4K HDR streaming Apps like Netflix & Amazon.

A LOT of people get caught up in the 4K HDR Marketing Hype. Its all B.S. unless you can actually source properly encoded 4K HDR content.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K Kodi0