New apartment -> New Media setup
Hi there,

This is my current Setup:

Raspberry Pi 3 with Kodi for my own media library. I love Kodi so I love my Pi but I really don't like the remote setup. But It has it's flaws:
1. It can't satisfy all my needs so I have to use other solutions paralel to my Pi.
2. I really hate my remote situation. For using my Pi I have this remote. It has a low built quality and the dongle looks really ugly. Additionaly I have to also use a remot power socket to start the Pi with a remote.

My other setup:
-PS4: For Netflix (which I use a lot) I use my PS4 Pro. But I really don't like the TV section of the PS4 menu, I have to use 2 systems to switch from Netflix to Kodi and since the PS3 media remote doesn't work on the PS4 and I did not buy an extra PS4 remote (because I am now aiming for an other device), I have to also keep a PS4 gamepad besides my TV remote and my two Kodi remotes.
-Old PC from work: My girlfriend and I played a lot of Dance Dance Revolution on PS2. Since we don't have our PS2 connected to the TV we can't play the game anymore. Therefore we wanted to try the game Stepmania. I got an old PC from work to install the game. But this is no Mini PC, it is a smaller office PC which is still extremely bulky and loud. Additionally it came without an OS and I installed Debian on it. I got Stepmania to work but using my Dancepads with my current PS2 to USB adapter does not work correctly on Linux. Therefore I should install Windows on the PC to run the game properly.

As you can see all this means many remotes laying around, different hardware connected to the TV and an user experience which is annoying. Therefore I want to replace all that with one device.

My wish:
I want to have one device for Stepmania, Kodi/My Library, Netflix and preferably some emulation up to PSX/N64. An extra would be an build in satellite tuner which is not that important to me. Since I want to run stepmania I can't chose an Android TV Box. Therefore I thought about a Mini PC with Windows 10.

Now I have the following questions:
-Do you think I can realize everything I want to do which one Windows 10 Mini PC?
-How much money do I have to spent?
-Can I realize all this without Dualboot or anything like that? I would prefer using everything with one frontend.
-Can you suggest one multi remote to me which isn't that expensive? Or an Air Mouse remote which also works for replacing my TV remote?
-Can you suggest a box which fullfills all my demands?
(2017-07-24, 02:22)King In The North Wrote: My wish:
I want to have one device for Stepmania, Kodi/My Library, Netflix and preferably some emulation up to PSX/N64.

Now I have the following questions:

-Do you think I can realize everything I want to do which one Windows 10 Mini PC?
Yes, I think ALL of those exact requirements are doable.

Win 10 store will have Netflix and Kodi.

I'm not 100% on Stepmania but I imagine if you got it working in Linux, you should definitely be able to get it happening in Windows.

There are countless "emulation" options for Windows, so up-to-N64 should be more than achieveable.

(2017-07-24, 02:22)King In The North Wrote: -How much money do I have to spent?
With a Kaby Lake CPU, you'd be all sorted with Kodi and Netflix playback up to 4K

(2017-07-24, 02:22)King In The North Wrote: -Can I realize all this without Dualboot or anything like that? I would prefer using everything with one frontend.
Yes Windows 10 should be able to handle everything. There are guides out there that can get you using emulation programs launched from Kodi itself, but Netflix will be better suited launched from windows itself

No dual-boot required

(2017-07-24, 02:22)King In The North Wrote: -Can you suggest one multi remote to me which isn't that expensive? Or an Air Mouse remote which also works for replacing my TV remote?
Get the Xiaomi Mi Box remote separately, it is awesome.

(2017-07-24, 02:22)King In The North Wrote: -Can you suggest a box which fullfills all my demands?
Someone out there will be able to point out more specific boxes, but I'd go a mini-PC with Kaby Lake CPU and as much RAM as you can afford.
I find trying to use the W10 version of Netflix with a remote a little cumbersome (there is an app out there that helps) but it's still nowhere near the ease of use of Android TV or Smart TV versions. You might want to see if you can try it out on another W10 device before committing to W10 has your all in one platform.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New apartment -> New Media setup0