Minix Neo U1 Android and Kodi 17.3: hopeless, or possible?
Question 
I've been reading these forums (and several other places) but I've not had a definitive answer to this very simple question:
Is it possible to get reasonable non-jittery 1080p video from a Minix Neo U1 (based on Amlogic S905) under Android 5.1.1 with Kodi 17.3 or should I ditch Android and go for LibreELEC (or downgrade to Kodi 16)?
Yes, I've read FAQs until I've started turning blue in the face. Yes, I've read through long and detailed explanations why the situation with Kodi 17 is what it is (and as a programmer, I understand why the decision was made). What I haven't found is a list of hardware manufacturers who seem to have their shit together and produce appropriate firmware libraries for Android and Kodi to hook into. Is Minix just a random take-the-money-and-run manufacturer or do they fix problems like this? Or do just I have an incorrect value in one of the million settings that have been liberally sprinkled into different places in Android and Kodi?
Can someone please help me with this, I haven't had reasonable playback frame rates since Kodi 17, and really have no idea even after all the reading how to debug and fix this?
I saw the same video playback issues on the WeTek Hub / Play2 S905 devices when running the old Android Lollipop 5.1.1 and Kodi 17.3

The three Android Marshmallow devices I do know that now have working refresh switching and smooth video playback with Mediacodec Hardware acceleration and Kodi 17.3 are the MINIX U9 and the WeTek Hub & Play2.

Interestingly another test version of SPMC 17.x (Kodi Krypton) has been released with working Amcodec hardware acceleration plugged back into it. Seems to work OK when briefly Tested last night with MM Firmware.
I would give that a try:
https://github.com/koying/SPMC/issues/936

Unless MINIX upgrade the U1's OS to Marshmallow you will likely have to run LibreELEC Kodi Krypton from an external microSDHC to get reliable, smooth Krypton video playback.

I know what MINIX are going to say to. It will be that AMLogic do not support Android Marshmallow on S905 devices, so they are unable/unwilling to either.
But then you find companies like Ugoos and WeTek have upgraded their Android OS to Marshmallow on their AML S905 devices - so it is possible if developers put in the work.

Hassle MINIX on their forums to upgrade the U1 to Android MM.

(2017-07-25, 06:22)wrxtasy Wrote: Interestingly another test version of SPMC 17.x (Kodi Krypton) has been released with working Amcodec hardware acceleration plugged back into it. Seems to work OK when briefly Tested last night with MM Firmware.
I would give that a try:
https://github.com/koying/SPMC/issues/936
Tried that with somewhat mixed results, wrote about it on Github.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Minix Neo U1 Android and Kodi 17.3: hopeless, or possible?0