Win Recording playback and timeshift broken
Hello all,
I'm a newbie here and to Kodi in general but have just switched over from WMC7.
Switching over is a bit of a pain because I have 3 client PCs. Totally digging Kodi so far other than the footwork getting everything configured. Anyways...
I'm attempting to use Mediaportal 1.16.0 with the Kodi plugin 1.15.0.137 and the latest version of Kodi Krypton with the mediaportal pvr client addon. Initially I attempted it with MP2.1 but had no luck at all with the kodi client, only the mediaportal client which I found to be sluggish. We'll leave that(MP2.1) for another thread, another time unless you folks think my problems may be related.
All of this was installed in the last couple weeks and I have had some success with MP 1.16 Server. Everything seems to connect, the EPG data downloads, I'm able to schedule recordings, wonderful. Two problems; I can't timeshift at all and I can't play recordings in Kodi from the TV menu.
The recorded files play fine through a media player of your choice.
I've tried disabling DXVA, disabling bitstreaming and a few other settings already to no avail. This is happening on all 3 client machines with the same version software.
I think it may be because the default settings (TSReader) didn't work at all initially, only ffmpeg. I'm a newbie so I could be wrong about that entirely.

I've read a lot of different things about TSReader. At some point, LIVE555 was removed from the client build. So this may be a problem. I dunno.

Anyways, I've read way too much without knowing much if you get my meaning. Hopefully you guys can help me figure it out.
If you agree that it has to do with TSReader, I can test the setting and upload logs. Just let me know.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Well... my question has been up a week and still no responses.
Could someone at least tell me if what I am trying to accomplish is even supported in the versions I am using?
Check your shares and network credentials for your timeshifting and recordings folder! This is essential for TSReader.
(2017-08-01, 00:56)pünktchen Wrote: Check your shares and network credentials for your timeshifting and recordings folder! This is essential for TSReader.

Thanks for getting back.
I have a local user on the host (TV server) machine with full control to the folder share and have added that to the client settings. Just to be sure, I've granted full control to 'Everyone' and have taken down all firewalls between the servers and clients as well.
Can this be a local user since I don't have a domain controller or AD server?
Thank you again for getting back to me. I've double(well triple actually) checked the permissions and still no luck.
What's wierd is that the timeshift buffer file is actually getting created when I select a channel to play. When I close out, it deletes.
I know that doesn't totally eliminate permissions as a possibility but it seems strange that it can create the file but can't seem to access it to play.

BTW, I've tried with both the RTSP option on and off just for testing.

I wonder, I've created one network share with two subfolders for rec and timeshift. Does that matter? Should I instead create the shares directly on the subfolders?
(2017-08-01, 23:34)zumaval Wrote: Thank you again for getting back to me. I've double(well triple actually) checked the permissions and still no luck.
What's wierd is that the timeshift buffer file is actually getting created when I select a channel to play. When I close out, it deletes.
I know that doesn't totally eliminate permissions as a possibility but it seems strange that it can create the file but can't seem to access it to play.

I wonder, I've created one network share with two subfolders for rec and timeshift. Does that matter? Should I instead create the shares directly on the subfolders?
The easiest way to check your shares is to browse for them through Kodi's file explorer.
Otherwise you have to post a debug log to pastebin!
I have been using a nightly build on my desktop PC, and it just doesn't work.

I don't recall which build I am using on my TV server, but that works fine. My Raspberry Pi's connect fine and play TV.

I'm afraid I haven't had time to work out when the problems started. I'll do that when I can.
(2017-08-02, 09:01)mcelliott Wrote: I have been using a nightly build on my desktop PC, and it just doesn't work.

I don't recall which build I am using on my TV server, but that works fine. My Raspberry Pi's connect fine and play TV.

I'm afraid I haven't had time to work out when the problems started. I'll do that when I can.

The nightlies don't work because of this: 259830 (thread)
(2017-08-02, 01:44)pünktchen Wrote:
(2017-08-01, 23:34)zumaval Wrote: Thank you again for getting back to me. I've double(well triple actually) checked the permissions and still no luck.

The easiest way to check your shares is to browse for them through Kodi's file explorer.
Otherwise you have to post a debug log to pastebin!

That is a very helpful suggestion. After trying the kodi file explorer, I was able to play files in the recorded tv folder without any issue.
I couldn't test the timeshift folder because there aren't any files in there unless it's playing but they are both set up the same way.
Does that eliminate the share permissions as the issue? Could it be something else?
Also just noticed that the user listed on the TVServer is XBMCpvrclient3. Is that normal or should it be listing the windows account designated by the client config?
I wonder if having a user with no password on the client is causing trouble with the RTSP stream. I still have the authenticated user listed in config for the SMB share but still... seems strange.

I'm looking for a way to upload the log but I don't see it. I could just paste the pertinent text out of it. Is that usually the way it's handled?
Quote:That is a very helpful suggestion. After trying the kodi file explorer, I was able to play files in the recorded tv folder without any issue.
I couldn't test the timeshift folder because there aren't any files in there unless it's playing but they are both set up the same way.
Does that eliminate the share permissions as the issue?
I think yes.
Quote:Also just noticed that the user listed on the TVServer is XBMCpvrclient3. Is that normal or should it be listing the windows account designated by the client config?
XBMCpvrclient3 is okay.
Quote:I wonder if having a user with no password on the client is causing trouble with the RTSP stream. I still have the authenticated user listed in config for the SMB share but still... seems strange.
Forget the RTSP mode! You wouldn't need shares for RTSP, but i've also never got it to work in Kodi. We should concentrate on the TSReader mode.
Quote:I'm looking for a way to upload the log but I don't see it. I could just paste the pertinent text out of it. Is that usually the way it's handled?
Open the log file with a text editor, copy all the content and put it on http://pastebin.com. Than post the link to pastebin.
Just found an interesting article on kodi about using Homegroups and how it can screw with SMB sharing.
Do you folks think this might be what I'm running into since I do have a homegroup established?
http://kodi.wiki/view/SMB/Windows
Specifically the 'Share with' method.

Anyways, I'm going to try and follow the instructions to remove the homegroup and set up sharing without it. We'll see how that goes.

Thanks again for all your help. It's really great to know there are people out there who actually give a crap.
That's it probably. Some of the first things i'm doing after Windows install is to disable those f****** homegroup and enable password protected sharing.
(2017-08-02, 17:15)pünktchen Wrote:
(2017-08-02, 09:01)mcelliott Wrote: I have been using a nightly build on my desktop PC, and it just doesn't work.

The nightlies don't work because of this: 259830 (thread)

Ah, do you know when this was added to the Windows nightly builds? I know it has just been added to the RPi builds, so I won't be updating those any more.
(2017-08-02, 23:38)pünktchen Wrote:
Quote:That is a very helpful suggestion. After trying the kodi file explorer, I was able to play files in the recorded tv folder without any issue.
Does that eliminate the share permissions as the issue?
I think yes.
Quote:Also just noticed that the user listed on the TVServer is XBMCpvrclient3. Is that normal or should it be listing the windows account designated by the client config?
XBMCpvrclient3 is okay.
Quote:I wonder if having a user with no password on the client is causing trouble with the RTSP stream. I still have the authenticated user listed in config for the SMB share but still... seems strange.
Forget the RTSP mode! You wouldn't need shares for RTSP, but i've also never got it to work in Kodi. We should concentrate on the TSReader mode.
Quote:I'm looking for a way to upload the log but I don't see it. I could just paste the pertinent text out of it. Is that usually the way it's handled?
Open the log file with a text editor, copy all the content and put it on http://pastebin.com. Than post the link to pastebin.

Ok. Feels like we're making progress although still no joy. I've disabled RTSP on all the clients. The reason I thought that was the way to go was because it's the only way I've been successful in getting the server to create the tsbuffer files. Anyways, moving on.

I've decided to apply a password to my login account on the client at least for troubleshooting this issue. I don't know if it makes any difference but I've also added my server user account as a credential on the client account. I think that only matters for RDP though. Sometimes I wish I had a full AD server. It would really simplify things.

I've uploaded my log file (redacted password).
https://pastebin.com/Bz8JLXVH

The more I'm reading through the log, the more I think your initial instinct, share permissions, was correct. What's strange is when I browse to the files in the recorded TV folder, I can play them without issue. Just not through TV > Recorded TV.

The log says it needs a true UNC path but from what I'm seeing "\\APOLLO\... is a UNC path. Also a bit strange. Unless you can see something obvious about the path, I don't see a problem there. APOLLO is the PC name, timeshift is the share name and I can browse to \\APOLLO\timeshift from any of the PC's, no problem.

Anyways, thanks again.
(2017-08-03, 01:22)zumaval Wrote: Ok. Feels like we're making progress although still no joy. I've disabled RTSP on all the clients. The reason I thought that was the way to go was because it's the only way I've been successful in getting the server to create the tsbuffer files. Anyways, moving on.

I've decided to apply a password to my login account on the client at least for troubleshooting this issue. I don't know if it makes any difference but I've also added my server user account as a credential on the client account. I think that only matters for RDP though. Sometimes I wish I had a full AD server. It would really simplify things.

I've uploaded my log file (redacted password).
https://pastebin.com/Bz8JLXVH

The more I'm reading through the log, the more I think your initial instinct, share permissions, was correct. What's strange is when I browse to the files in the recorded TV folder, I can play them without issue. Just not through TV > Recorded TV.

The log says it needs a true UNC path but from what I'm seeing "\\APOLLO\... is a UNC path. Also a bit strange. Unless you can see something obvious about the path, I don't see a problem there. APOLLO is the PC name, timeshift is the share name and I can browse to \\APOLLO\timeshift from any of the PC's, no problem.

Anyways, thanks again.

I got it. The smb user in the addon has to be only "EHS" and not "APOLLO/EHS"!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recording playback and timeshift broken0