A More Positive Attitude
You certainly have a negative attitude towards people who aren't using Kodi the way you want them to use it. If you don't want people using particular add-ons or repositories then those should be banned through the application itself. It's incredibly disappointing that your support team will refuse to even answer a question or provide assistance simply based on the posters supposed intended usage of an add-on (not that you'd know, as you simply close the topic after jumping to your own conclusion).

Way to make other media options look a lot more appealing simply based on your support forum. I think I'll try a different media solution, I don't like the feeling of judgement I get from your website. Please take a good look at your rules and support staff and consider being a little more open minded and a little less assumptive. It isn't difficult to try and be helpful but you guys definitely will use poor excuses to refuse help.

Have a nice day.
From your entire post it is immensely clear you don't understand what kind of 'company' we are, what the software is about, or what is and is not possible with open source.

We are not a company but a group of enthusiasts who constantly have to deal with people who can't understand or don't read faq's, the wiki or forum rules, but who cán find the correct subforum to complain.

I personally think you're making a correct choice.
Have a nice day and goodbye.
(2017-07-25, 23:40)Kib Wrote: We are not a company but a group of enthusiasts

That explains your response and the way the forums are run.

Good day.
Just to be clear, we are also not a media solution. Maybe you should have actually read the rules, and something about the software.
Quote:posters supposed intended usage of an add-on
It is not a "supposed" usage. There is only one usage. That usage is to obtain content that is Pirated and Copyright Infringing. This is illegal. We will not assist those that have them installed.

There is no other possible use for these add-ons as they are created to do only one thing.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-07-26, 00:11)Karellen Wrote:
Quote:posters supposed intended usage of an add-on
It is not a "supposed" usage. There is only one usage. That usage is to obtain content that is Pirated and Copyright Infringing. This is illegal. We will not assist those that have them installed.

There is no other possible use for these add-ons as they are created to do only one thing.

I wasn't aware that I was unable to watch movies considered as public domain or whose copyrights had ended via those add-ons.

(2017-07-26, 00:05)Kib Wrote: Just to be clear, we are also not a media solution. Maybe you should have actually read the rules, and something about the software.

Sorry, I thought this was software that allowed me to play my media and stream via my Plex server. I clearly misunderstood.
(2017-07-26, 00:22)bluetoon Wrote: I wasn't aware that I was unable to watch movies considered as public domain or whose copyrights had ended via those add-ons.
If you have a bag of household tools in the boot of your car and the police charge you with carrying housebreaking implements, it isn't a defence to say that you could be using them to fix your house. Of course you could, but that doesn't answer the question as to why they are in a car at midnight and not in your toolshed at home.

There are all sorts of scenarios. Do you really expect a software project to investigate whether a particular person with a bag of tools in their car is doing so for an innocent purpose? Of course not. Certain behaviours have to be banned outright, whether or not there is some conscientious and knowledgable user who carefully investigates the copyright status of every piece of media. So it is with banned add-ons.
I haven't been on this forum long, and what I can see is a bunch of Devs sick of their trademark being dragged in the dirt by tabloid media, YouTube authors and dodgy salesmen selling fully loaded boxes, and the devs now have zero tolerance regarding banned addons that enable piracy.

Do your research before posting on a public forum.

Also there are official addons for streaming media, so really a null argument.
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |
(2017-07-25, 23:35)bluetoon Wrote: If you don't want people using particular add-ons or repositories then those should be banned through the application itself.
Noone is saying they don't want you to use illegal add-ons. They (Kodi) are simply saying they do not want to be associated with those add-ons and therefore will not give or allow support. They have every right to do so. I don't think you are in any position to complain about that as it is something you agree upon by signing up, let alone telling anyone how Kodi should do anything in the application.

Quote:It's incredibly disappointing that your support team will refuse to even answer a question or provide assistance simply based on the posters supposed intended usage of an add-on (not that you'd know, as you simply close the topic after jumping to your own conclusion).
That has to be the worst attempt at playing innocent. You know damn well why those add-ons are on your device. You don't need them for public domain material. If you think a conclusion like that is jumping the gun, well then you clearly aren't able to see things in the right perspective.

Quote:Way to make other media options look a lot more appealing simply based on your support forum. I think I'll try a different media solution
I have to laugh everytime I see people use these "you better improve" or else I am going to switch to a different "media" solution threats, as if they are a paying customer and Kodi has anything to lose from your departure.

As said before, you clearly do not understand anything about the type of software and organization.
(2017-07-25, 23:35)bluetoon Wrote: If you don't want people using particular add-ons or repositories then those should be banned through the application itself.
All the addons you want help with are third-party addons that are banned, among other reasons because they destroy the repulation of legal ways to use Kodi.

Those addons are not installed by default but have been installed by either yourself, directly or indirectly by some devious distribution of Kodi you got.

Why would you expect to get support for those here when those specific addons are banned here and actually destroy the good repulation of Kodi as a product.

Do you know what side-loading means? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sideloading

The concept of a software application or operating-system allowing you to install third-party addons or apps is not new and allowed on many platforms.

Sideloading gives you the freedom to install whatever addons you want, but it does not give you the right to get help an support with whatever you install.

Google also allow side-loading of third-party apps on Android (OS), does that mean that Google should support if you side-load a piracy app on Android?

Microsoft and Apple allow you to install almost any application on Windows and OS X, does that mean they should support you if you install piracy apps?

Of course not, so why get angry when the Kodi team here get annoyed with you for asking them you help you with banned addons, a paid company would too.

(2017-07-26, 00:22)bluetoon Wrote: I wasn't aware that I was unable to watch movies considered as public domain or whose copyrights had ended via those add-ons.
Don't be so naive thinking that anyone here would fall for you playing the "I did not know better" card. None of the movies those addons offer are in the public domain. And all commercial movies made within the last 50 years can be considered to still be bound under copyright in most contries in the world, and the last 70 years if they was made in the USA, unless the authors have specifically released it as public domain.

The list for of films in the public domain in the United States is very short and can be found on wikipedia here => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fi...ted_States

So in general you can by default consider all full-lenght English-language movies/films with made in the past 50 years to not be in the public domain.
Yes, but unlike Google or Microsoft, Kodi forum moderators refuse support if you have any "banned" addons installed. As far as I know, Microsoft doesn't refuse support if you have i.e. a pirate copy of Photoshop on your PC and you have a problem with Outlook.....
A pirated version of Photoshop wouldn't interfere with Outlook though, whereas a "fully-loaded build" on Kodi could do all kinds of things to screw up the general operation of the software. Not to mention the legal & ethical aspect of it. Microsoft for example wouldn't help you if you told them you had a "cracked" version of MS Office Smile
There's a slight difference between pirated copies of legitimate programs and piracy add-ons in Kodi.

The former is still professionally written code, albeit essentially stolen copies of it. The latter in many cases isn't particularly well written, and in the worst cases actively sticks its tentacles in places it has no business in doing so to make it more difficult to remove or just because it's poorly written. In doing so it can seriously destabilise the general workings of Kodi, causing crashes and other issues.

We used to have to deal with that kind of scenario over and over again, which is why we do not support any device containing any banned addon (wiki). That is of course in addition to all the valid points raised above, and also why we have the forum rules (wiki) in the first place which everyone who registers here has to agree to abide by. The fact that almost all of those people don't actually bother to read them before doing so is not our fault, and nor is such ignorance any justification or excuse when stuff gets binned.

In the end the Kodi Foundation is a non-profit open-source organisation. And as has been said several times before, we don't hugely care about how many people use Kodi, that's not especially why its produced. Indeed if we lost the majority of our user base in exchange for losing the whole piracy aspect of everything, then we would be quite happy to do so. We don't sell anything, so there's nothing much to lose.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-07-26, 12:08)DarrenHill Wrote: We used to have to deal with that kind of scenario over and over again, which is why we do not support any device containing any banned addon (wiki). That is of course in addition to all the valid points raised above, and also why we have the forum rules (wiki) in the first place which everyone who registers here has to agree to abide by. The fact that almost all of those people don't actually bother to read them before doing so is not our fault, and nor is such ignorance any justification or excuse when stuff gets binned.
I can't see where that's written in the forum rules.
Could you quote the bit that makes it clear?

Edit: obviously you can do whatever you want - but if you're saying 'people are stoopid, they don't read the rules' then making sure the rules are clear and unambiguous would seem like a plan.
Quote:While Team Kodi does not regulate what users install or use, we offer no support when your install includes add-ons that violate the forum rules. Failure to do so may result in a ban.

From the top of the banned addons (wiki) forum rules page (3rd line down).

But the point about perhaps directly including that in the main forum rules (wiki) page as well is a valid one to make it even more clear.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A More Positive Attitude0