Win Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC
(2017-07-27, 13:33)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-07-27, 12:45)Klojum Wrote: The Nvidia Linux video driver only does 8bit, the Nvidia Windows video driver does 4K hevc 10bit just fine on the GT1030.

So how can this NVIDA Card be future proofed if that sort of 10bit HEVC decoding is not possible in say LibreELEC ?
Or have I got it all wrong.
Correction: Not possible TODAY! But not because of hardware limitations but instead because of software limitation in Nvidia's current device drivers only. And this device driver limitations is not limities to the GeForce GT 1030 cards alone but to all GeForce GTX 10-series of graphics cards, even the high-end ones. It is in Nvidia's best interest to fix this soon.

The hardware supports it so of course Nvidia will add support for it in its device drivers sooner or later, it is just a matter of time. And personally I believe that it will be sooner rather than later because Nvidia will loose money and reputation the longer it takes for them to add the support in their device drivers. People will buy less cards if the hardware knowingly support features that is not yet enabled in the available device drivers, and others who already bought the cards will complain that they can't use the functions promised by the hardware specifications, which will give Nvidia and especially all its GeForce GTX 10-series of graphics cards.

As a comparision, Nvidia Shield TV did not support 10-bit HEVC on its launch day either, as that support came with a later software/firmware upgrade. Today Nvidia have a good reputation for driver/firmware and I'm sure that they want to keep that good reputation.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC - by RockerC - 2017-07-27, 13:56

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC2
This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.