• 2(current)
Win Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC
(2017-07-27, 13:33)wrxtasy Wrote: So how can this NVIDA Card be future proofed if that sort of 10bit HEVC decoding is not possible in say LibreELEC ?
Or have I got it all wrong.
I have this GT 1030 card since yesterday.
Haven't got it to work with OpenElec or LibrElec yet. Both don't have the latest NVIDIA drivers apparently...
(2017-07-28, 09:34)Banzi Wrote: I have this GT 1030 card since yesterday.
Haven't got it to work with OpenElec or LibrElec yet. Both don't have the latest NVIDIA drivers apparently...

For LibreELEC, the latest LE9/Kodi 18a1 test build includes GT 1030 support: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=298462

Once Kodi 17.4 is released, the next official LibreELEC 8.2 release will include GT 1030 support.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2017-07-27, 21:26)runningnaked Wrote: @RockerC Thanks for the info.
(2017-07-27, 11:25)RockerC Wrote: Good to know if that PCI-Express is a backwards compatible format most newer cards will also work in PCI-E 2.0 and even PCI-E 1.0 slots, so you could possibly use them on many older motherboards as long as it has a free right-size PCI-Express x16 slot with enough lanes (uses x4).
By this, do you mean that if my crappy motherboard has one of those situations where there's 2 full-length x16 slots that share lanes ("1 x16 slot, 1 x8 slot; when the x8 slot is occupied, the x16 slot runs at x8"), if I do populate the 2nd slot with say a RAID card, this card won't be affected since it only uses x4 lanes anyway? I'm not very knowledgeable about these things (I don't game), and didn't know an x16 slot card might not actually use all lanes available. If this is the case, this card could be a great find!
Yes one of these Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards should still work fine in any PCI-Express x16 slot even if you have a RAID-cards in your motherboards other PCI-Express slots.

The available PCIe lanes and their bandwidth will never notice any bottlenecks with these Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards, no matter what other cards you have in your other PCIe slots.

If you wanted to you could in fact even place two Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 graphics cards in each of those slot PCI-Express x16 slots and they would still work fine as these are low-end cards.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articl...mance-518/

The x4 lanes these Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards requires is very few/low in practice and they use very little of the PCI-Express capable bandwidth so it won't be a bottleneck.

And since we here in the Kodi forum are really only talking about video playback and not gaming we will never reach those limites with these GeForce GT 1030 cards, even for 4K.

Summery; don't worry about PCIe lane bandwidth for graphics cards, especially not when using when your goal is to have a dedicated 4K HTPC for Kodi and not a high-end gaming PC.
(2017-07-28, 09:41)Milhouse Wrote: For LibreELEC, the latest LE9/Kodi 18a1 test build includes GT 1030 support: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=298462

Once Kodi 17.4 is released, the next official LibreELEC 8.2 release will include GT 1030 support.
Jesus - I have not looked over in that x86_64 Linux/LibreELEC thread for a while.
We really need to nickname you Bob the Buildmaster with that amount of detailed info in that post. Wink

So back to the original question does LE 8.2 / Kodi 17.4 with GT 1030 support have 10bit 4K HEVC decoding working ?
What about LE 8.2 Kodi 17.4 - 4K VP9 ?

This is what people are interested in if recycling old hardware with a new Graphics card.

(2017-07-28, 10:28)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-07-28, 09:41)Milhouse Wrote: For LibreELEC, the latest LE9/Kodi 18a1 test build includes GT 1030 support: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=298462

...back to the original question does LE 8.2 / Kodi 17.4 with GT 1030 support have 10bit 4K HEVC decoding working ?

What about LE 8.2 Kodi 17.4 - 4K VP9 ?
Yes what about 10-bit HEVC and 10-bit VP9 on Linux with Nvidia GeForce 10-series card?

@wrxtasy, I believe the issue is that Nvidia's Linux drivers don't support 10-bit color yet. Resolution should not be a related issue here, but question is if Nvidia'x Linux drivers support 10-bit HEVC and 10-bit VP9 hardware video decoding or not so far? If not then does anyone know when Nvidia plans on adding support for 10-bit HEVC and 10-bit VP9 hardware video decoding to their Linux drivers?
I'm asking this because it need if there is no 10bit HEVC/VP9 Hardware decoding when using Linux/LibreELEC I need to note it in the START HERE thread.
I'm do not care to much about 10bit output at the moment its the hardware decoding component I would like to know about.

So Hardware decoding 10bit HEVC/VP9 -- YES or NO for Linux/LibreELEC - anyone know, Millhouse ?

(2017-07-28, 12:34)wrxtasy Wrote: So Hardware decoding 10bit HEVC/VP9 -- YES or NO for Linux/LibreELEC - anyone know, Millhouse ?

I don't believe it does due to driver limitations, but the best way to know for sure is try it (I don't have the nvidia hardware myself to test it).
(2017-04-19, 18:19)fritsch Wrote:
(2017-04-19, 17:35)kowalmisiek Wrote: Hello milhouse

Is there any chance to support geforce 1050 in new builds? (Hevc 10bit)

No single chance. VDPAU is not developed anymore by nvidia, so it's stagnating with 8 bit hevc only. It has no future anyways as it's bound to X11 which is slowly dieing ...
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
@Milhouse
Just put it in your next build, I have a GT1030 to test with.
@Klojum GT 1030 has been supported since #0724.
Cheers Millhouse, I'm sure Klojum can give us some definitive Hardware decode answer pretty soon.

(2017-07-28, 13:02)wrxtasy Wrote: Cheers Millhouse, I'm sure Klojum can give us some definitive Hardware decode answer pretty soon.
My current HTPC had a dual-boot between openelec and windows 7 (HD 4290 card wasn't compatible with windows 10).

At the moment I'm preparing my dual-boot between your #727 and windows 10. Anything I should test? I know Kodi 18 is still in alpha phase, but I was able to put a movie on...
(2017-07-28, 12:44)Milhouse Wrote: @Klojum GT 1030 has been supported since #0724.
I testdrove one of escalade's extended builds, and it worked fine with the 1030. No 10bit support though.

Sorry but I'm not testing all your builds, I just pick one out from time to time Angel
I have to divide my availabe time wisely, hehe.

But if 10bit functionality is already available the latest MH builds, I'm happy to test.
(2017-07-28, 12:41)Klojum Wrote: I have a GT1030 to test with.
@Klojum, maybe test some of the 4K HEVC & VP9 samples listed here?:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Samples#4K_.28UltraHD.29

There even looks to be an 8K sample there, and a 5K sample too.

Report on audio output over HDMI and DP/DVI would also be nice Wink
(2017-07-28, 15:02)Klojum Wrote:
(2017-07-28, 12:44)Milhouse Wrote: @Klojum GT 1030 has been supported since #0724.
I testdrove one of escalade's extended builds, and it worked fine with the 1030. No 10bit support though.

Sorry but I'm not testing all your builds, I just pick one out from time to time Angel
I have to divide my availabe time wisely, hehe.

But if 10bit functionality is already available the latest MH builds, I'm happy to test.

I am confused...does the gt1030 support hevc 10bit with hw acceleration on kodi 17? On wjndows 7?
I've just downloaded the latest build with no luck. Blank screen when playing local media and iPlayer Add-on returns to program listing almost immediately.
Tries disabling automatic refresh rate change and hardware acceleration to no effect.
Looks like the 1030 will have to go back in its box until 17.4 is out...
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC2