• 8(current)
Win Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC
I've got a GT 1030 running nicely in my HTPC with Kodi 18 beta.

It's a great card and handles everthing I've thrown at it, including 4K HDR

If you need HDR switching its a bit of a pain.  I've currently got MPC-BE configured as an external player with MadVR and it switches the TV into HDR as required.  I use Kodi built in Videoplayer for everything day to day that isn't HDR.

Some people will tell you that a GT 1030 isn't powerful enough for MadVR... its fine.  If you only want HDR output then just configure everything for DXVA and it will use a hardware path putting very little load on the GPU/CPU, the quality will be no different to what Kodi can produce.
Reading this and other threads I buyed gt1030 for my old HTPC. When run kodi without madVR support, 4k hdr video plays fine and gpu load <50% but 'washed' colors. When install another kodi version with madVR support video plays with normal colors TV mode changed to HDR automatically but video plays whith stutters and low fps. GPU load ~100%, gpu mem load ~2Gb, gpu core clock ~1700MHz. So why in my case its impossible to play 4k hdr video with gt1030?
These are the conditions for stable playback:
  • madVR is set to its default video processing settings and/or image upscaling is set to DXVA2;
  • The CPU and GPU queue sizes remain at 8/8 or lower;
  • XySubFilter is not used to render subtitles;
  • No 3D LUTs or tone mapping by pixel shaders are applied.

Try resetting madVR to its defaults in the installation folder.
(2018-10-12, 12:16)Бaton Wrote: Reading this and other threads I buyed gt1030 for my old HTPC. When run kodi without madVR support, 4k hdr video plays fine and gpu load <50% but 'washed' colors. When install another kodi version with madVR support video plays with normal colors TV mode changed to HDR automatically but video plays whith stutters and low fps. GPU load ~100%, gpu mem load ~2Gb, gpu core clock ~1700MHz. So why in my case its impossible to play 4k hdr video with gt1030?
     I have the same problem, the same symptoms have a liquid image but faded colors.
Please write the rest of your computer's specifications.

My HTPC
Pentium 3420,GT 1030, 4 GB RAM, SSD 60GB + 2x 4TB HDD
(2018-10-25, 13:10)kosmitagt Wrote:      I have the same problem, the same symptoms have a liquid image but faded colors.
Please write the rest of your computer's specifications.
AMD A4-5300, GT 1030, 8GB RAM, SSD 120GB

I've solved my issue. In kodi I made filter for playing files with "hdr" in name through external player (mpc-be+madvr) and now everything playes fine - no stutter and no washed colors.
Hello world from Africa!
I have read through the whole thread, some of which went over my head cos I am not as familiar with this stuff as you guys are.
So please don't kill me if I ask some n00b questions... I have tried to make sense of as much of this thread as I can.
Ok, so I'm in a position where I need to decide if I should get the 1030 for cheap for my HTPC, or to spend a lot more on something else (which i can't afford).
Which effectively is the difference between me having 1080p as my ceiling , or being able to move up to 4k.
So can I humbly ask if someone would be so kind as to confirm if I'm correct in gathering from this thread that 4k 30fps HEVC works fine if I am running Kodi v18 RC4 on Windows 10 with a GT 1030.
And if the above will need me to change any settings (I have seen the terms "external player", "madvr", "tone mapping" etc) or just run everything as it comes out of the box?
I am very willing to go learn what all those things are, but only if I'll need to use them.
Then if I want to add HDR on top of this, what must change for me to still get problem-free payback?
Then if I want all of this at 60Hz, what must change?
If I am asking too much, please let me know
Sorry for the double post, but one more question:
If I was able to get an RX560 for marginally more... does that change everything?
If you are sticking with Windows, Kodi can play everything but HDR10 content. For HDR10 content, you must use an external media player such as MPC-HC or MPC-BE. This player would only launch when a 4K HDR file is played.

You can find out how to do it here: 209596 (thread)

If you are committed to doing this, the RX 560 is a much better GPU than the GT 1030.
Thanks!! Definitely will go with the RX560 then... it's the 2GB version, but looked to be the better choice on paper... I am happy that someone confirmed it for me.
I would love to hear the experience of guys that are running in on their HTPC's.
Ok, time to go learn a few things about external players and HDR10
Again, thanks for replying and for the link to the other thread.
I would get the version with 4 GB of VRAM if you can afford it. 2GB of VRAM is cutting it close for 4K playback.
Too expensive over here Sad
Double the price, in my case cos I'm getting the RX560 2GB for almost the price of the GT1030.
But I take your point... I'm gonna have to think about a 4GB GPU as my next upgrade, when I can afford it.

Also ...Sorry for taking the thread off topic.
(2019-01-12, 03:55)Warner306 Wrote: I would get the version with 4 GB of VRAM if you can afford it. 2GB of VRAM is cutting it close for 4K playback.

Are you sure? The GT1030 can do 8K video with 2GB RAM. So unless AMD are doing something wrong, 2GB should be enough.
If you are using madVR, 4K UHD playback will use around 2GB of VRAM with normal playback with the default video processing settings. Some manage to go over 2GB by changing only a few settings. It is just safer to have the extra VRAM to avoid any potential stuttering because you can easily go over the 2GB limit. Overall performance, on Windows at least, can be much better with a 4GB card. A 3GB card also offers plenty of headroom.

But, yes, just decoding and playing most video can be handled by not adding any unnecessary processing. The madVR control panel has a bunch of settings that eat up available memory. Use the 2GB wisely...
(2018-10-22, 00:54)Warner306 Wrote: These are the conditions for stable playback:
  • madVR is set to its default video processing settings and/or image upscaling is set to DXVA2;
  • The CPU and GPU queue sizes remain at 8/8 or lower;
  • XySubFilter is not used to render subtitles;
  • No 3D LUTs or tone mapping by pixel shaders are applied.

Try resetting madVR to its defaults in the installation folder. 
Hi!
Little help please! This is driving me crazy!With this settings (I think) i am able to run a 4K HDR with 40% or less on the GPU on a any-size window. But the moment I go to full screen my GPU goes to 100% and I get 3 or 4 frames per second. 
What am I missing?
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC2