Concept Thoughts on concept skin (orig. for plex/OpenPHT) by Vane Jung
Hi all!

I'd like to hear your opinions on this concept design by Vane Jung, a very talented UX Architect.

Someone somewhere on the Reddits shared this a while back, hoping to get someone to make this a reality for OpenPHT, to no avail. However, not all is lost! I feel like this would be a wonderful addition to the amazing selection of skins available today, and would help fill what I believe to be a void in the Kodi skin database for this style of work (help me out here, not sure what you'd call this, minimalist?). Vane Jung continued with this theme again here as well as a concept icon here.

Now I'm no designer (actually currently at uni studying computer science... wish me luck!) but if any of you talented folk feel like picking this one up that would be fantastic! (and I'll try my best to support you in your endeavours!). The only thing I'm not too sure on is the 'home' screen, where the horizontal main navigation is (Movies, TV Shows, etc.) as I feel like a skin like this is all about showing off the artwork and hiding it behind text and a harsh gradient kind of harms the effect. A 'home' screen more like the first image (slideshow concept on his website, first image in imgur) would be more appropriate, with links at the bottom, in similar style of course!

So if nothing comes of this I might see if I can pick this up myself (once again... wish me luck!) but first I'd like to hear your thoughts:
  • Is this feasible with the Kodi skin engine?
  • What more would need to be designed in order to make this 'compatible' and,
  • What sort of time frame/work load are we looking at here?

Now for the good bits, what it looks like!

watch gallery

Alright, well thanks for your time! Tell me what you think and if you'd like to help make this a reality please let me know!
(2017-07-27, 13:16)Firelfy Wrote:
  • Is this feasible with the Kodi skin engine?
The Blur may be tricky, as the script which could do this isnt verry well documented. (there are also no real "squere-Thumbs" for TV-Shows,Seasons and Episodes, so no Idea how well it will look for different shows at the End.)

• What more would need to be designed in order to make this 'compatible' and,
every other Window / Dialogue Kodi needs

• What sort of time frame/work load are we looking at here?
Would say depends on how fast u learn to deal with new stuf, and which basics/knewledge u already have. (+ of course the "spare-time" u have, can, and r willing to spend. -> would say expect several 14-to 16 hours "work" Weekends at the beginning (eating in front of the Screen Big GrinTongue .).)
Wow is it really over 2 year since I followed his weekly designs!

I was going to have a go at doing it myself (I even tried to contact Vane but got no reply) but there's just not enough to work with to be completely honest.

EDIT: Found the original thread - Concept - IMDb meets Plex
Blur is easy,.. very well documented (for script.colorbox anyways).
(2017-07-27, 16:04)Hitcher Wrote: Wow is it really over 2 year since I followed his weekly designs!

I was going to have a go at doing it myself (I even tried to contact Vane but got no reply) but there's just not enough to work with to be completely honest.

I remember this thread going around.

My criticism is the same as last time: the font sizes are too small. For Arctic and Fuse I always have complaints about font sizes and the fonts I use in both those skins are much larger than the fonts here.

Also, viewtypes are the easy part of making a skin. The hard part is all the little dialogs and settings screens and osd and all the weird corner cases with different plugins and artwork types. The problem with all these types of mockups is that they are a couple of really nice looking views and maybe a home screen or info screen and that's it -- there is never a mockup of what dialogs are going to look like, what busy indicators, progress bars, notifications, volume, mute, osd controls etc will all look like.
Arctic Fuse - Alpha now available. Support me on Ko-fi.
(2017-07-27, 16:04)Hitcher Wrote: Wow is it really over 2 year since I followed his weekly designs!

I actually have a lot of this with the blur side done... Of course I had put my own twist on it. but this skin is very well do able just going to take u a while to do it.

I was actually using this and Apple TV as my inspiration... Which in the end is more like Microsoft fluent design
Shield TV | Windows 10 | Mariadb | Mii Box
Evolve Ecosystem Repo | TV Melodies | Madnox Holiday Mod
(2017-07-28, 05:01)jurialmunkey Wrote:

I remember this thread going around.

My criticism is the same as last time: the font sizes are too small. For Arctic and Fuse I always have complaints about font sizes and the fonts I use in both those skins are much larger than the fonts here.

Also, viewtypes are the easy part of making a skin. The hard part is all the little dialogs and settings screens and osd and all the weird corner cases with different plugins and artwork types. The problem with all these types of mockups is that they are a couple of really nice looking views and maybe a home screen or info screen and that's it -- there is never a mockup of what dialogs are going to look like, what busy indicators, progress bars, notifications, volume, mute, osd controls etc will all look like.

Those are some very good points. If I decide to pick this up it might be a while before I even begin (too much stuff going on at the moment as it is)!

Looks like a nice concept that might have to change a little too much just to get to work well, which is a shame. I was also looking at contacting Vane Jung myself, but by the sounds of it maybe I shouldn't bother.

When I get more free time we'll see...
If you get stuck with blur PM me

That's been a while indeed! I liked that series a lot!

Loved the design he made back then as well Smile so, good luck @Firelfy

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thoughts on concept skin (orig. for plex/OpenPHT) by Vane Jung0