Any good projectors that you can play kodi off of?
I've noticed several YouTube reviews on projectors that feature kodi on them but does anyone know if these are any good? Any advise is appreciated as I'm looking to purchase a projector as a replacement for a TV.

Thank you in advance!
Better off putting money towards the two separate and getting quality.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
alright... sure

Good... kinda

Great... nope
I use Kodi on a Pi with a projector in a dedicated theater room. Projectors work best in a completely light-controlled room with dark walls. Beware of cheap no-name Chinese projectors. If you want great advice from a lot of projector owners, check out AVS.
(2017-07-28, 17:05)GreySkies Wrote: I use Kodi on a Pi with a projector in a dedicated theater room. Projectors work best in a completely light-controlled room with dark walls. Beware of cheap no-name Chinese projectors. If you want great advice from a lot of projector owners, check out AVS.

Thanks for the input!

In regards to the cheap no-name Chinese projector... it looks like there's a lot of those on Amazon but is there a specific way to tell which I should really stay away from. I did see this one on Deal News and since it has android, I don't think there's issues getting Kodi loaded on. It's not there anymore but I found it on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/AAXA-Portable-Pro...words=aaxa . Seems like it should be good but brightness might the issue on that one.

I saw this other one on Amazon as well -- I'm assuming this is a perfect example of a Chinese projector to stay away from: https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Project...rds=erisan -- couldn't even find a website for the company and the reviews seemed to range quite a bit.

Can I ask what projector you're using for your theater room? Trying to see if I might be necessary to increase my budget!
RPi3 + check out projectors on projectorcentral.com
(2017-07-29, 00:46)kubbmander Wrote:
(2017-07-28, 17:05)GreySkies Wrote: I use Kodi on a Pi with a projector in a dedicated theater room. Projectors work best in a completely light-controlled room with dark walls. Beware of cheap no-name Chinese projectors. If you want great advice from a lot of projector owners, check out AVS.

Thanks for the input!

In regards to the cheap no-name Chinese projector... it looks like there's a lot of those on Amazon but is there a specific way to tell which I should really stay away from. I did see this one on Deal News and since it has android, I don't think there's issues getting Kodi loaded on. It's not there anymore but I found it on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/AAXA-Portable-Pro...words=aaxa . Seems like it should be good but brightness might the issue on that one.

I saw this other one on Amazon as well -- I'm assuming this is a perfect example of a Chinese projector to stay away from: https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Project...rds=erisan -- couldn't even find a website for the company and the reviews seemed to range quite a bit.

Can I ask what projector you're using for your theater room? Trying to see if I might be necessary to increase my budget!

Both of those are going to be disappointing. I'm running a Vivitek H1186-WT that was unfortunately produced in small numbers. It's a 1080p single chip DLP with outstanding 3D performance that'll outperform most commercial theaters outside of true 65mm 3D Imax. It also does 2.35:1 natively. You can see my build at bar.marvindog.net

You can find decent projectors for under a grand, and you can build a good screen for a couple hundred.

Be careful, though. Putting in a projector can end up being the first jump on to a very slippery slope. I've seen guys start with a small surround set up, and then end up with a Theo Kalomirakis setup.

Edit: fixed my projector model.
Hahhaa, thank you for your input and for sharing more information!

So essentially, 1080P and over 1000 lumens is the way to go?
(2017-08-02, 22:00)kubbmander Wrote: Hahhaa, thank you for your input and for sharing more information!

So essentially, 1080P and over 1000 lumens is the way to go?

Yep, exactly. Here's a quick rundown on some pros/cons of different projector types. Note that I haven't projector shopped in about two years, so my info may be woefully out of date.

• Decent laser/LED/3-chip-DLP/LCoS projectors are still pricey.

• Single chip DLP with an RGBRGB color wheel are great bang for the buck; other color wheels may be brighter, but won't give as good color fidelity. Some people have problems seeing 'rainbows' with single chip DLPs, though. I see them if I look for them, but otherwise they don't bother me. DLPs also can have great 3D.

• LCDs can have great color fidelity, but poor 3D. As they age, their polarizers may yellow, distorting the image.

• Cheap LED projectors are going to be dim with rather poor color.
We purchased an Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 Projector in 2013 along with a 120" 16x9 manual screen that is ceiling mounted at about 17 feet distance from the projector. It has been working OK but we don't use it every day. Most of the time we use our old Samsung 58" plasma. The plasma has richer color but the Epson is easier on the eyes, no need for glasses with the picture that seems 4 times bigger. It takes the Epson a few minutes to reach full brightness, whereas the plasma is a few seconds. Small imperfections in the screen are quickly forgotten as we get more interested in the movie. We do keep the room darkened. We were running an HDMI splitter until we replaced our A/V receiver with one that has 2 HDMI outputs. Naturally the better quality video source is, the better the projected picture will be. On the other hand we have some old black & white movies from the 40s-50s that we enjoy as well, reminds us of the the drive in/backyard theaters when we were young. The biggest downside of the Epson is it's huge size, wall mounted at about 7' it sticks out like a sore thumb. There are a lot better setups, but not worth the additional cost for our personal needs, We have no desires for a projector only setup, and we do not need a system to entertain guests.
I've owned projectors since 2002. I currently have an Epson EH-TW5210 2200 Lumens 1080p LCD 3D Projector that I bought about a year ago for about €800 but they can be had on Amazon for €580. We just project it on a bare Magnolia painted wall. 130" screen and with the 2200 lumens we can even watch stuff during the day with the venetians closed if its cloudy outside. Have to wait till evening if its not.

Don't waste money on a no name chinese PJ when decent recognised brands can be had for so little.
Epson always comes up as a good and reliable brand. May need to go for a refurbished since the price point is a bit higher than I can work with right now. After finding that AAXA P2-A and looking more into the brand, there's actually a lot of articles that mention them and I noticed they have a 1080P model with 1200 lumens that just came out, retailing at $599.00. Curious to check it out since it seemed to get a decent rating on the PC Mag website, so at least that's a good clue that it should be in the running with the bigger brands such as Epson and Optoma.

Although like you mentioned, Pajoe, the Epsons do seem to be quite big so something on the smaller end would be best.

I'm thinking I can easily play Kodi off a Fire Stick when plugging it into a decent projector.
I didn't see anything mentioned, but in case you haven't thought of it, you'll need a stereo for sound. The speakers in any projector are going to be very disappointing.
(2017-08-10, 20:46)kubbmander Wrote: Epson always comes up as a good and reliable brand. May need to go for a refurbished since the price point is a bit higher than I can work with right now. After finding that AAXA P2-A and looking more into the brand, there's actually a lot of articles that mention them and I noticed they have a 1080P model with 1200 lumens that just came out, retailing at $599.00. Curious to check it out since it seemed to get a decent rating on the PC Mag website, so at least that's a good clue that it should be in the running with the bigger brands such as Epson and Optoma.

Although like you mentioned, Pajoe, the Epsons do seem to be quite big so something on the smaller end would be best.

I'm thinking I can easily play Kodi off a Fire Stick when plugging it into a decent projector.

Don't buy the P2-A if you cannot control the light. It's only over 100 lumens. Though I like the size, I have to return it 'cause it needs me to turn off all lights at night.

But I do agree AAXA has some good reviews on a couple of platforms. I bought P2-A and M5 from Amazon (and returned P2A later). It's not a brand as big as Epson or Optoma, therefore, the price is affordable. The M5 works well for me in my dorm. I appreciate the portability. I brought it to my friend's place for a double screen gaming night! lol.

I was excited about this new gadget and exploring all kinds of use. I did just realize you can use chrome cast to mirror your phone. Very convenient wireless connection.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGJ4DSYpOZg
(2017-08-16, 18:58)Will1986 Wrote:
(2017-08-10, 20:46)kubbmander Wrote: Epson always comes up as a good and reliable brand. May need to go for a refurbished since the price point is a bit higher than I can work with right now. After finding that AAXA P2-A and looking more into the brand, there's actually a lot of articles that mention them and I noticed they have a 1080P model with 1200 lumens that just came out, retailing at $599.00. Curious to check it out since it seemed to get a decent rating on the PC Mag website, so at least that's a good clue that it should be in the running with the bigger brands such as Epson and Optoma.

Don't buy the P2-A if you cannot control the light. It's only over 100 lumens. Though I like the size, I have to return it 'cause it needs me to turn off all lights at night.

But I do agree AAXA has some good reviews on a couple of platforms. I bought P2-A and M5 from Amazon (and returned P2A later). It's not a brand as big as Epson or Optoma, therefore, the price is affordable. The M5 works well for me in my dorm. I appreciate the portability. I brought it to my friend's place for a double screen gaming night! lol.

I was excited about this new gadget and exploring all kinds of use. I did just realize you can use chrome cast to mirror your phone. Very convenient wireless connection.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGJ4DSYpOZg

Thanks for the comments! I finally decided to go with AAXA M5, too after comparing it with Optoma, Epson and BenQ. But I have to say the Optoma 750 is so small. I would definitely buy it if the price can go down a bit and it has a built-in battery.

*mod edit- link removed* promotes banned add-ons
https://youtu.be/AU2vLIc7Uzc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaw1Zo3FKiU

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any good projectors that you can play kodi off of?0