Req Replaygain support for music videos
Greetings all.

First, I know this isn't really a top priority, but I think that it can be done fairly quickly, as support for replaygain tags in music already exists.
MKV files support Replaygain tags so it would be nice if Kodi would read them and handle them accordingly.
How to utilize them... when adding source folders for Music Videos, in 'Set content' add an option that RG tag should be used when playing videos from that folder.

Scanning and tagging could be done from within foobar2000, it works. Other formats are easily converted to MKV, as MKV supports various AV codec combinations, just by stream copying into new container.
Currently, there is no support for reading tags in video media. Aside from mkv, mp4 also has a robust tag feature. It is possible to add mkv and mp4 file extensions to the list of filetypes the music library can scan, and then create a music source with the music video files (though music taglib doesn't read mkv tags, so only mp4 is viable). In this case RPG tags would be read from mp4, but playback is still via videoplayer that I don't think supports using any music tags. This is sort of a bastardized use of the music library and I don't think Kodi will ever bless it.

It's a PITA, but you could extract the audio stream and measure and apply RPG to the stream then remux it. I don't think typical MV audio is what I would call "pristine" so adjusting the amplitude isn't really degrading it.

scott s.
There is another option, and that is scanning local files, saving RG values into database, and when playing, adjusting volume level accordingly. No need for reading tags, as the values are calculated on scan.
I know not much people are storing music videos, but I am a fan of those, also my youngest like them too.
As for making video player adjusting volume based on tags... well, it can adjust volume now, manually, I really see just adding support for reading RG tags from video files - no need for any other tags.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Replaygain support for music videos0