Plex Vs Emby Vs MySql on Raspbian
Brick 
I have a Pi2 server running the latest version of raspbian, SFTP to my NAS drives, PiHole and a MySQL Kodi database.

Everything is running fine, however I like tinkering and wonder if I should use Plex or Emby for Kodi?

From what I have managed to work out (1) MySQL = fastest, (2) Plex = easiest to use/install, (3) Emby = more options, but for the technical minded user.

Is this a case of "If it 'aint broke, don't fix it", or should I migrate to Plex / Emby?

Thanks
eh - really up to you. I use emby as my back end and blow away my kodi installations and am back to where I am in 2 minutes besides installing the hdhomerun add-on
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Personally I'd drop SFTP and use NFS and keep MySQL. On a low powered server it pays to keep things simple.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
(2017-08-02, 19:58)speedwell68 Wrote: Personally I'd drop SFTP and use NFS and keep MySQL. On a low powered server it pays to keep things simple.
Whoops! I meant Nfs! So basically stay as it is, and don't fiddle. :-)

Sent from my SM-G925F
(2017-08-02, 20:30)mildenhall Wrote:
(2017-08-02, 19:58)speedwell68 Wrote: Personally I'd drop SFTP and use NFS and keep MySQL. On a low powered server it pays to keep things simple.
Whoops! I meant Nfs! So basically stay as it is, and don't fiddle. :-)

Sent from my SM-G925F (typie typie)

Basically, yes.

I have a 'low rent' media server, namely an old Acer Revo R3610. I tried Plex on it and it made it work hard, with NFS and MySQL it hardly touches the sides.

How does an RPI 2 perform as a media server? Mine can stream 1080p to 4 clients simultaneously with no issues.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Plex Vs Emby Vs MySql on Raspbian0