Export/Import and local artist art improvements
(2017-10-12, 06:27)bilgepump Wrote: Is there a logistic reason why it can't be in with the music?  My music is in a folder called "music".  It makes sense to me to shove the "artist info" folder in that folder too, but I can put it wherever it has to go.
The Artist Info Folder can be wherever you like, also for backwards compatibility it is not mandatory, but it could be useful to have one especially if you want to provide artist and nfo for song artists, or those on collabloration albums etc.  But if the Artist Info Folder is an existing folder with other things already in it then it could cause confusion.

Within the folder you give as Artist Info Folder Kodi will look for a folders that match artist names (or name + partial mbid if not unique within library), and within those for the artist.nfo and artwork. Structure like this
PHP Code:
My_Artist_Info (Artist Info Folder)
---
ABBA (folder)
----------
artist.nfo
----------fanart.jpg
----------folder.jpg (artist thumb)
---
John Williams_53b1(folder)
----------
artist.nfo
----------fanart.jpg
---
John Williams_8b8a (folder)
----------
artist.nfo
----------fanart.jpg
---
U2 (folder)
----------
artist.nfo
----------fanart.jpg

If you already have a <my music>/<artist name>/<album name> structure, you might even want to set  <my music> as the Artist Info Folder. If you have ever used cdArt addon, or skins that use Skin helper Service you will understand this has consequences. Your music collection will gain folders for other artists that just contain art not music. And if your artist name is not an exact match for what Kodi is using for that artist it will have a second folder with art.

Some people are happy with that mix, others are not. So my recommendation (just to avoid confusion) is to have an Artist Info Folder different from your music folder. It can be a folder under the music folder, as @jjd_uk described, but best not the one,  if you already have that structure, already containing artist folders with music them unless you clearly understand what is happening.

Quote:
Quote:The purpose of the music export facility is to help (more advanced) users to manipulate/control the local additional data that Kodi can handle for artists and albums. It is support for local scraping, and really useful if your music collection is not mainstream.

In time I also hope it will be used to reduce the need to refetch the same data from the online sources, when say transfering to a new device or doing a clean install. But those activities are also advanced.
Is Kodi making use of this info in your build, or is that still being worked on?  The export seemed to work, it took all the "mishmash" artists out of the kodi library and put them into the "artist info" folder (which I'd actually created in the "music" folder, I hadn't reread this thread properly before I started mucking about.)  Is it possible to scan that extra info into Kodi, or get it to show up automagically, or do we just need to browse to it to "suck it into" Kodi?
This build makes it possible to load and save local art and nfo for all artists (something previously only possible for album artists within limits). This means that experienced users could use it to minimise repeat online scraping when reinstalling Kodi, but that is not something I am expecting beginners to do.

If you are a beginner with nothing but music files, then nothing here changes anything for you. You scan the tags, and scrape artist and album art and info from online sources (either as part of scanning because scan + scrape that works together OK in v18, or as a second action).

But if you have local artist art you want used, then you can put it all in the artist info folder and Kodi will find it as part of scraping (automagically as you say). If you have album artist stuff already saved with you music files Kodi will continue tofind it, but now you will be able to provide local art for composers and conductors, or song artists etc. too.

Or say you have fetched everything online, and pick images you like etc., and want to keep thay after a clean reinstallation or move to new device. Well export that art and nfo. The tell the new Kodi installation where the artist info folder is, and Kodi will pick up the local art without having to scrape online.

Although it seems that this change is about exporting, actually is is accompanied by some nice improvemements to local art and nfo handling too.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Music Export/Import improvements - by DaveBlake - 2017-10-12, 15:06

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Export/Import and local artist art improvements0
This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.