Help with Apollo Lake NUC and 4K 60Hz and HD Audio
Hi everyone, I need some help in getting my box working.
I was happy with everything until I got a 4k tv recently, since then I've had nothing but trouble.
Here's where I am at the moment.

NUC - NUC6CAYH > Integra DRX-3 AVR > TV

As I understand it, my NUC supports HDMI 2.0 and should be able to output 4k 60Hz as well as decoding of HDR HVEC 265 4k etc. My AVR and my TV both support HDMI 2, and HDCP 2.2 4k 60Hz etc.

The NUC is running LibreElec 8.x (latest).

My first problem is that I can not get 4k 60Hz. I've tried connecting it to the AVR as well as directly to the TV, always 4k 30Hz. Have tried different cables also. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a setting somewhere?

The second problem is that the HD audio formats such as DTS-MA and DD-HD dosen't work. I've been told that this is because it's not supported by the kernel used by LibreElec. Is this correct?

The third problem is that I can't get 4k 10bit HVEC 265 video to playback smoothly. I was under the impression that the NUC should be able to play it. I had read somewhere that this is a problem with LibreElec not supporting the hardware on the Apollo Lake NUCs, but I also get the same problem when using a Mi Box, which is also meant to be able to play these videos. Again, am I doing something wrong? Or do these devices not able to do what they are advertised?

Thanks in advanced.
(2017-08-03, 07:49)puunda Wrote: The second problem is that the HD audio formats such as DTS-MA and DD-HD doesn't work. I've been told that this is because it's not supported by the kernel used by LibreElec. Is this correct?

GDay... No not correct, Intel - Linux driver issue.

Did you read the existing Apollo Lake thread, that Q has already been answered:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2622228

My question is why did you buy this Apollo Lake NUC in the first place - were you not aware of the already existing
Megachip Display Port > HDMI 2.0 Adapter - linux driver problems ?

(2017-08-03, 08:04)wrxtasy Wrote: My question is why did you buy this Apollo Lake NUC in the first place - were you not aware of the already existing
Megachip Display Port > HDMI 2.0 Adapter - linux driver problems ?

I bought the Apollo Lake NUC because believed it would play 4k 60Hz fine since it's support HDMI 2. Is it another linux driver issue with the HDMI 2?
Other Apollo Lake users can answer that for you but...

Basically - you have been conned like a whole bunch of other Intel Apollo / Kaby Lake - Linux/LibreELEC users. Intel Linux support is not what it used to be it seems.

There was some talk of trying out a USB-C > HDMI 2.0 adapter to see if that could possibly fix the HD Audio problem.

LibreELEC/Linux developers when I questioned them last month recommended users avoid Intel Apollo / Kaby Lake all together and wait for a proper HDMI 2.0 port implementation instead of this problematic DP > HDMI 2.0 adapter.

I believe you will have to wait for Intel - Coffee Lake.

(2017-08-03, 08:52)wrxtasy Wrote: Other Apollo Lake users can answer that for you but...

Basically - you have been conned like a whole bunch of other Intel Apollo / Kaby Lake - Linux/LibreELEC users. Intel Linux support is not what it used to be it seems.

There was some talk of trying out a USB-C > HDMI 2.0 adapter to see if that could possibly fix the HD Audio problem.

LibreELEC/Linux developers when I questioned them last month recommended users avoid Intel Apollo / Kaby Lake all together and wait for a proper HDMI 2.0 port implementation instead of this problematic DP > HDMI 2.0 adapter.

It would appear that way. But if it's an Intel Linux driver issue, then would using Windows fix this? This would fix the HD audio problem, but will it fix the 4k 60Hz problem?
I've not used Windows since the resolution stuffs up when I turn the tv off. But from what I've read, there are ways to fix this.
(2017-08-03, 09:39)puunda Wrote:
(2017-08-03, 08:52)wrxtasy Wrote: Other Apollo Lake users can answer that for you but...

It would appear that way. But if it's an Intel Linux driver issue, then would using Windows fix this? This would fix the HD audio problem, but will it fix the 4k 60Hz problem?
I've not used Windows since the resolution stuffs up when I turn the tv off. But from what I've read, there are ways to fix this.

I don't know exactly about ApolloLake, but I bought a KabyLake NUC today, and it does output 4k60 in Windows. Make sure that you go into display properties, if you install Windows, and set the display refresh rate to 60hz.
(2017-08-05, 03:58)atarijedi Wrote: I don't know exactly about ApolloLake, but I bought a KabyLake NUC today, and it does output 4k60 in Windows. Make sure that you go into display properties, if you install Windows, and set the display refresh rate to 60hz.

I've just tested it with Windows 10, and by default it outputs 4k 30Hz, but you can go change that in the Intel display settings and it will output 4k 60Hz. Windows also plays all the 4k 10bit HEVC videos fine.
Looks like the Apollo Lakes work fine in Windows
(2017-08-06, 13:49)puunda Wrote:
(2017-08-05, 03:58)atarijedi Wrote: I don't know exactly about ApolloLake, but I bought a KabyLake NUC today, and it does output 4k60 in Windows. Make sure that you go into display properties, if you install Windows, and set the display refresh rate to 60hz.

I've just tested it with Windows 10, and by default it outputs 4k 30Hz, but you can go change that in the Intel display settings and it will output 4k 60Hz. Windows also plays all the 4k 10bit HEVC videos fine.
Looks like the Apollo Lakes work fine in Windows

Not with HDR it won't.
Why's it so hard to find the perfect media player? So Apollo Lake is no good for what I want. I'll have to keep looking.
Currently using the Mi Box. It's good, but can't get bit accurate music and I can't seem to get multi channel AAC playing. Anything AAC plays as 2 channel PCM.
Turn on Kodi AC3 Transcoding for 5.1/7.1 AAC:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2409146

The conclusion for a while now is to avoid Apollo and Kaby Lake NUC's all together. Too many issues currently if you want a fully flexible Linux / Win media player.

(2017-08-08, 13:45)wrxtasy Wrote: Turn on Kodi AC3 Transcoding for 5.1/7.1 AAC:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2409146

I've looked at that post, but can't find Kodi AC3 Transcoding for 5.1/7.1 AAC
(2017-08-03, 08:52)wrxtasy Wrote: There was some talk of trying out a USB-C > HDMI 2.0 adapter to see if that could possibly fix the HD Audio problem.

And this can be a minefield too - as there are three - at least - ways of carrying video over a USB Type-C connector.

1. DisplayLink. This is effectively a USB video card type solution, and uses the USB Type-C connector as - well - USB. DisplayLink has been around since USB 2.0 days - but with the advent of USB 3.0 and 3.1 bandwidths it is much more viable as a video output solution. However Displaylink drivers are usually Windows (and sometimes MacOS/OS X) only - with Linux support less clear. This isn't using the USB Type-C 'alternative' mode - it's a regular USB connection (and could be carried over USB 3.0/3.1 non-Type C connectors I think)

2. HDMI Alt Mode for USB Type-C connector. This is an HDMI standard for carrying HDMI video over the USB Type-C connector, but the connector is then not running 'regular' USB - it's switched to an alternate mode. ( http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmialt...typec.aspx ) I'm not sure if it supports HDMI 2.0 - the original spec was HDMI 1.4b max - but this may have changed. It appears as if a straight USB Type-C to HDMI cable should be available for this functionality - and you get full HDMI support (ARC, CEC, Ethernet over HDMI, HDCP 1.4 and 2.2 etc.) This is only available with a Type-C connector.

3. Displayport Alt Mode over USB Type-C. This is a Displayport standard, again leveraging the USB Type-C alt mode, but this time to carry native Displayport data, which is very different to HDMI. Again - only available with a Type-C connector I believe. You can convert DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 using active adaptors as we all know...
( https://www.displayport.org/displayport-over-usb-c/ )

Then there is the whole realm of Thunderbolt 3 over USB Type-C stuff that Apple have got with their Macbook Pros - and some PC motherboards offer (Though - just to confuse things - the original Macbook USB Type-C connector isn't Thunderbolt AIUI)...

The whole 'video over USB Type-C' thing is NOT straightforward.

When people talk about 'using a USB Type-C > HDMI 2.0 adaptor' you need to clarify what approach it is using.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with Apollo Lake NUC and 4K 60Hz and HD Audio0