Web Browser Add-On?
I have been looking for an Internet browser add-on for Kodi to replace the CBSN add-on that was removed from the Kodi repo. CBSN is freely available over the Internet but it would be very nice to be able to watch it directly through Kodi.

Anyone able to help out on this?

Cheers,
Clive
I believe CBSN is available in the PlutoTV add-on.

If you want a web browser add-on, one already exists - Chrome Launcher.
Kodi Matrix on Dell Optiplex 980 Lubuntu 22.04 | Kodi Matrix on HTPC Lubuntu 20.04 | My Add-ons | Legacy Repo | Matrix Repo
>>>>> Newest MetalChris Addons: Local Now | Redbox | NEWSnet| NHL Radio | Weather Unlocked
there is also another web browser addon called Browser Launcher - a modded version of the chrome browser but will allow you to use different web browsers.
(2017-08-07, 01:50)MetalChris Wrote: I believe CBSN is available in the PlutoTV add-on.

If you want a web browser add-on, one already exists - Chrome Launcher.
I'll have a look at Pluto TV soon.

Had a look at Chrome Launcher, mostly just reading the thread on here to try to understand how to get it installed and how it works. Still not there though.

Thanks for your suggestions, much appreciated.
(2017-08-07, 13:55)udangaribaldi Wrote: there is also another web browser addon called Browser Launcher - a modded version of the chrome browser but will allow you to use different web browsers.
Did a search on Kodi for Browser Launcher but came up with a lot of generic launcher information but nothing specific to Browser Launcher.

Sometimes finding what you are after is difficult.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try again.
As @MetalChris mentioned Pluto.TV has CBSN and is less error prone than launching other applications using Launcher.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
So, I installed Chrome Launcher and it appears that , as the name suggests, I need to have Chrome installed somewhere. Could not find it anywhere in Kodi so I'm assuming it must be run from Linux.

(2017-08-09, 20:17)Lunatixz Wrote: As @MetalChris mentioned Pluto.TV has CBSN and is less error prone than launching other applications using Launcher.
Thanks for the heads up. Pluto TV is getting tried next.

How is PseudoTV_Live coming along? I played with it for a while when it first came out but coding is a struggle for me so left it for easier options. Getting live news for some reason seems to be not very well supported through Kodi.
(2017-08-09, 23:23)camos Wrote: So, I installed Chrome Launcher and it appears that , as the name suggests, I need to have Chrome installed somewhere. Could not find it anywhere in Kodi so I'm assuming it must be run from Linux.

(2017-08-09, 20:17)Lunatixz Wrote: As @MetalChris mentioned Pluto.TV has CBSN and is less error prone than launching other applications using Launcher.
Thanks for the heads up. Pluto TV is getting tried next.

How is PseudoTV_Live coming along? I played with it for a while when it first came out but coding is a struggle for me so left it for easier options. Getting live news for some reason seems to be not very well supported through Kodi.

PseudoTV Live v.0.9.x is coming along, its 95% new refactored code and performs like a dream.. Closed beta testing will start soon.

As for Live news.. that's a premature statement to make... Hell my last few plugins were news related.

If you are looking for "Live" news.... here are a few.

Pluto.TV - gives you ABC Live, CBSN, bloomberg and more
NewsOn - has some CBS, NBC and ABC affiliates by region.
Cheddar - Wallstreet news
News12 - NYC tri-state live news

There is also RT news, BBC news and more from other developers.

If there is a source in particular you are looking for post a request for a plugin.
https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=251
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
(2017-08-09, 23:51)Lunatixz Wrote: PseudoTV Live v.0.9.x is coming along, its 95% new refactored code and performs like a dream.. Closed beta testing will start soon.
Looking forward to giving it a try when it becomes available.

(2017-08-09, 23:51)Lunatixz Wrote: As for Live news.. that's a premature statement to make... Hell my last few plugins were news related.
I can see how my comment could be considered somewhat thoughtless. I was fairly content with the CBSN Live app and it was a real loss when it was discontinued in Kodi. Being able to flip it on whenever was a real plus compared to having to actively search for news segments. Lately I have been watching Aljazeera Live on YouTube. I was surprised to find that it has quite balanced reporting and they do offer some insightful specials however its focus is mainly on the Middle East, Asia and Africa and not so much about what's happening in North America. Anyway, there is no working app for it but putting a link to it in the Kodi favourites works well enough..

(2017-08-09, 23:51)Lunatixz Wrote: If you are looking for "Live" news.... here are a few.

Pluto.TV - gives you ABC Live, CBSN, bloomberg and more
NewsOn - has some CBS, NBC and ABC affiliates by region.
Cheddar - Wallstreet news
News12 - NYC tri-state live news

There is also RT news, BBC news and more from other developers.
Yes, which is why I am in pursuit of Pluto.TV lately. A while ago I tried NewsOn and BBC apps but for reasons I can't remember, I was not satisfied with them. Perhaps it was just that CBSN Live was the perfect format for me.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out.
(2017-08-09, 23:23)camos Wrote: So, I installed Chrome Launcher and it appears that , as the name suggests, I need to have Chrome installed somewhere. Could not find it anywhere in Kodi so I'm assuming it must be run from Linux.
Anyone care to comment on what needs to be done to get Chrome Launcher or any other Web Browser App working inside Kodi?
(2017-08-10, 17:54)camos Wrote:
Anyone care to comment on what needs to be done to get Chrome Launcher or any other Web Browser App working inside Kodi?

I use this with Firefox on Linux. You need to modify the browser.sh and script.sh files in the addon folder. Replace the path for Chrome to your path for Firefox. In my case it's /usr/bin/firefox.

My script.sh file looks like this:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
openbox &
/usr/bin/firefox
kill %1

And in my browser.sh file, I changed line 26 to this:

Code:
/usr/bin/firefox "$@" &

I'm running version 1.1.5 of the Chrome launcher. Not sure if that's the latest version or if the files are different in other versions. I've posted what works for me, and I did this a loooooong time ago so might be forgetting something. YMMV...

All the info to do this is buried somewhere in the 40 pages of the Chrome Launcher thread.
Kodi Matrix on Dell Optiplex 980 Lubuntu 22.04 | Kodi Matrix on HTPC Lubuntu 20.04 | My Add-ons | Legacy Repo | Matrix Repo
>>>>> Newest MetalChris Addons: Local Now | Redbox | NEWSnet| NHL Radio | Weather Unlocked
(2017-08-11, 00:35)MetalChris Wrote: I'm running version 1.1.5 of the Chrome launcher. Not sure if that's the latest version or if the files are different in other versions. I've posted what works for me, and I did this a loooooong time ago so might be forgetting something. YMMV...

All the info to do this is buried somewhere in the 40 pages of the Chrome Launcher thread.
Yah, 40 pages is rather daunting. Confused
You never said it but by inference it looks like I was correct in guessing I need to install a browser into KodiBuntu if there isn't one already there. Now I just have to figure out how to do that. I know, pretty pathetic, right? Confused

Thanks for the help. Cool
sudo apt-get install firefox (or chromium-browser)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-08-12, 04:35)nickr Wrote: sudo apt-get install firefox (or chromium-browser)
Seems I have to keep re-learning the basics.
Thanks much appreciated. Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Web Browser Add-On?0