Solved Manually adding a movie that was not picked up by update Library
I went into the video section, went into file found the directory of the movie (AVP) which is aliens vs predator -Requiem right mouse click selected scan to library and nothing happen could someone tell me the proper way of adding a movie

Thanks

Patrick
This wiki pretty well covers most eventualities Video management (wiki)

This is the way Kodi works.

1) You've added your source for the files.
2) You've picked a scraper like the universal scraper
3) You've set the scraper with your choices
4) On exit, you're presented with a requester to scan or not.

For individual files:

1) with the video/movie in focus you bring up the context menu (right mouse or c on the keyboard)
2) select scan to the library. done.

Incorrect and missing videos (wiki)

the movie (AVP) which is aliens vs predator for the IMdb and The Movie Database (TMDb) should have the title. "Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)" it's the date that Kodi might be stumbling up on, and it used to be called [AVPR: Aliens vs Predator - Requiem (original title)] I've also noticed that title with the colon is not handled and replacing it with either hyphen or just removing it will often fix the issue.

suspect ":"
okay, I have done what you have suggested to add movies but, it is not working, I have about 53 discs missing from the library that the add on missing movies picks up but, kodi does not seem to see them.
a couple of titles I changed the name as you suggested and it did work from time to time but, not consistantly. still puzzling
Hello Chefpj,

90% of the time, file naming is the issue that prevents content from being scraped into the library. And reading between the lines of the first post, I believe that is the problem in your case.

It is absolutely critical that movies are named the same way they are displayed at the scraper site.

1. Select a movie that has not scraped.
2. Look up that movie at the scraper site. I assume you are using TMDB https://www.themoviedb.org/
3. Copy the name from the scraper site, and paste it into your Directory/filename. Ensure it also includes the year for Movies.
4. Update library.

It should scrape into your library.

For you example in the first post, it should be named as follows- Aliens vs Predator: Requiem (2007)
Note that Windows will automatically drop the colon as it is an illegal character
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
What happens when a movie contains multiple discs. For instance the movie Alexander Revisited the final cut does not show up in themoviedb.org.
Please provide the link to the movie at the site. It is helpful if you do this everytime you refer to a movie Smile
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
If you convert it to an MKV file, you could always merge them into one file using the free software MKVMerge. That's what I have done with the Lord Of The Rings trilogy. They came on 2 blu-rays per film.
If you have more than one disc it is just a matter of naming the file correctly

http://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files...r_stacking. If you use stacking when you press play it will ask which one to play.

Alexander (2004) disc1.iso
Alexander (2004) disc2.iso

The wiki describes the allowable names. You can also override the allowable names. You can do this by modifying the moviestacking options in your advancedsettings.xml file. I had to do this because I had a lot of files and one of the options was removed at one point.

As Karellen points out your folder and file name needs to match the site you are scraping from. For example I use IMDB which usually very closely matches TMDB. So all of my movies names match those. Every once and awhile it does not match up. In that case you need to browse to the 'file' section of KODI and manually match it. You can press 'c' and 'information' then refresh. At that point your movie name should pop up. If it is not in your scraper you will need to make an nfo file and then update. Every once and awhile it will not pop up from imdb/tmdb. You can use the tt name from the URL from imdb to search for instead of the real name.

In your case you are running into an 'alias' problem. Some movies have alt names in different territories or re-release versions. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0346491/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2 https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/1966-alexander The 'real' name is 'Alexander (2004)'. You can get it to scrape in using that then just rename it to what you recognize. I have a couple of other movies like that.

99.9% of the time if you name it right and do update it will scape correctly. But like you found out every once and awhile. The trick is getting the right name.
(2017-08-09, 01:58)lharms Wrote: If you have more than one disc it is just a matter of naming the file correctly

http://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files...r_stacking. If you use stacking when you press play it will ask which one to play.

Alexander (2004) disc1.iso
Alexander (2004) disc2.iso

The wiki describes the allowable names. You can also override the allowable names. You can do this by modifying the moviestacking options in your advancedsettings.xml file. I had to do this because I had a lot of files and one of the options was removed at one point.

As Karellen points out your folder and file name needs to match the site you are scraping from. For example I use IMDB which usually very closely matches TMDB. So all of my movies names match those. Every once and awhile it does not match up. In that case you need to browse to the 'file' section of KODI and manually match it. You can press 'c' and 'information' then refresh. At that point your movie name should pop up. If it is not in your scraper you will need to make an nfo file and then update. Every once and awhile it will not pop up from imdb/tmdb. You can use the tt name from the URL from imdb to search for instead of the real name.

In your case you are running into an 'alias' problem. Some movies have alt names in different territories or re-release versions. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0346491/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2 https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/1966-alexander The 'real' name is 'Alexander (2004)'. You can get it to scrape in using that then just rename it to what you recognize. I have a couple of other movies like that.

99.9% of the time if you name it right and do update it will scape correctly. But like you found out every once and awhile. The trick is getting the right name.
In my experience, which is somewhat limited, Kodi gets files right about 90-95% of the time. This might be useful for a movie player when im looking for something random or wanting suggestions; but it is almost useless as a means to play series.

That may sound harsh but I will give an example. If Kodi is only seeing part of a series, even though it is typed out to a t and matches the scraper, the user ends up missing content and not knowing it until a random reference is made and you check your folders vs kodi. Thanks to a nice addon you can see most of the missing files, but there seems to be no simple way of adding them. By simple I mean not creating a nfo file every time kodi glitches, which would would be quite time consuming and frankly not worth the effeort. Smart Audiobook Player alerts you to files which are correctly recognized at the time of scanning instead of having you search for an addon, dig through that addon, then scan to see most of what was missed originally.. without offering suggestions for how to fix it

Another key feature missing for series is the ability to resume a series. I'm guessing their is an add-on somewhere as I thought I saw one at a friends once. But why is this not a built in feature? Another feature missing is the ability to tag series being added by genre (the built in genres are ridiculous) as you can with JRiver.

Is there not a simple way to force add a file that Kodi has obviously seen, it shows in missing episodes, but refuses to scrape it? 

Yes I know its a lot of griping for my first post. I have tried Kodi several times now and always give up. It is an app which seems to be designed for ppl who want an easier media experience for their personal collection but expects you to dig through menus and have some coding interest to make it work which seems very contradictory to what I thought was the purpose.
Kodi is more for tinkerers. A default setup does not please everybody, so Kodi was designed to be modified to suit your own needs, but this requires moderate to advanced knowledge of computers.

As for your scraping issues, you say your naming is perfect, but my experience on the forum (look at my post count) it rarely is. So provide a Debug Log which captures you trying to scrape a failed show, and I will tell you what the problem is. First see if you can spot the problem using this list... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=336969 And it is rare that you need to create nfo files for titles that are listed at the Information Providers websites.

As for Genres. You can install the Metadata Add-on, and you can edit almost anything in your library... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=349035
My Signature
(2020-04-21, 23:38)Karellen Wrote: Kodi is more for tinkerers. A default setup does not please everybody, so Kodi was designed to be modified to suit your own needs, but this requires moderate to advanced knowledge of computers.

As for your scraping issues, you say your naming is perfect, but my experience on the forum (look at my post count) it rarely is. So provide a Debug Log which captures you trying to scrape a failed show, and I will tell you what the problem is. First see if you can spot the problem using this list... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=336969 And it is rare that you need to create nfo files for titles that are listed at the Information Providers websites.

As for Genres. You can install the Metadata Add-on, and you can edit almost anything in your library... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=349035

I think I give up again. I tried to instal the logfile add-on. I found it in the third place I looked since the directions dont come with where to locate it. The logfile app does not work.

I am having problems with several series (wanted, the witcher, the river...) Some of which may be naming problems although I know wanted is not and neither is The River.

The river shows 7 out of 8 episodes which were originally all named identically. I cleaned up the audio/video nonsense after the name then got progressively more anal making it match identically the tmdb name which was not necessary for the rest of that particular show.

I guess I will look again in another year and hope there are further improvements. I was hoping for something my kids could easily use. MPC has better built in controls anyway

A simple fix would be to get an alert when files are not scanned and ask if you would like them added to the folder/group in folder with the other recognized files with the already assigned name. Props to all you coders making this happen, but it's not currently for me
(2020-04-22, 02:21)hulioman Wrote: The logfile app does not work.
You are on Windows, you don't need the logfile app. Go to C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Kodi and the log is there. The guide states that.

Anyway as you have given up, I won't devote any time to it.

Best of luck.
My Signature
Thread marked solved.
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Manually adding a movie that was not picked up by update Library0