Bug Next Episodes widget causes Kodi to crash (Kodi 17.3, Titan Beta 3.7.61)
Hi Marcel,

Apparently the "Next Episodes" widget from Skin Helper Widgets is causing Kodi to crash. I'm using Krypton 17.3 with Titan Beta 3.7.61, and I use the Emby add-on. If I use the Next Episodes widget, Kodi crashes every time I focus on the related main menu item (in this case "TV Shows"). I get the "exception caught on main loop error" every time. I can navigate all other menu items without incident, but as soon as the TV Shows menu item is focused, Kodi crashes.

Another user reported the exact same behavior on the Windows support forum here:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2629548

For now, I've removed the widget and it's not a big deal to me anyway, but thought you'd want to have a look at it.

Thanks!
Yes, I have the same issue. Seems to only happen when I use the windows 10 layout, all the other ones seem to be ok with the same widgets. I always used windows 10 layout and noticed it about 2 weeks ago.
(2017-08-10, 00:39)matty_g_8 Wrote: Yes, I have the same issue. Seems to only happen when I use the windows 10 layout, all the other ones seem to be ok with the same widgets. I always used windows 10 layout and noticed it about 2 weeks ago.

I typically only use the Windows 10 layout also. Didn't even think to test it on other menu structures. Weird. Maybe Marcel can figure it out and give us some insight. Awesome skin overall, though.
Ok, update on this issue. Just had a crash eerily similar to the original problem posted here, but this time I only had the "Recently Added Episodes" widget active. Again, using Windows 10 menu layout. Something's definitely going on there with the TV episodes widgets. I had no issues until I navigated to the TV shows menu item (where the "Recently Added Episodes" widget is active) and bam - crashed out on me with the same "exception caught on main loop" error. Sure hoping Marcel can figure this one out, I'd hate to disable all episode widgets!

FYI, I have updated to the latest version Marcel pushed out this afternoon.

Log is posted here:

https://pastebin.com/6ssFbxmc

EDIT: Additional info. Just tested again by changing the "Recently Added Episodes" widget. Instead of using the Skin Helper Widgets version, I chose the "Recently Added Episodes" from the TV show library directly. Same result, crashes as soon as I navigate to the TV Shows menu item. Additional log file here:

https://pastebin.com/yv8tLHii

EDIT #2: Just tried again, this time using "Recently Added Episodes" widget from Smart Shortcuts and guess what? No crash! Here's the log file for this one also:

https://pastebin.com/Ha8hSY3x
Any update to this?
(2017-08-14, 00:43)matty_g_8 Wrote: Any update to this?

Was just coming here to post the same question. I've now discovered that this seems to affect more than just the "next episodes" widget. At first, it seemed I could change to some other widget - "Recently Added TV Shows" for instance - and all would be OK. But now I'm getting crashes on and off with this widget also. Same type of behavior - all is well until I navigate to the TV Shows main menu item where the widget is associated and then the crash occurs. And again, this seems to be only with the 'Windows 10' menu layout.

Really hoping Marcel can look into this soon, I basically have all TV Shows widgets disabled right now as I am fond of my Windows 10 layout!

EDIT: Just tested with "In Progress Episodes" and this also crashes. And it doesn't seem to matter if I select a widget from Skin Service Widgets or Smart Shortcuts, TV show/episode widgets from both cause Kodi to crash. And oddly enough, it doesn't crash each and every time. Like just now, I exited and restarted Kodi with the "In Progress Episodes" widget still active, and this time I could navigate to it OK. It's really weird and hard to reproduce consistently depending the widget that is used. But there is definitely something weird going on with a combination of the Emby add-on, the Windows 10 menu layout, and TV Shows widgets in general. Again, hopefully Marcel can figure something out.
I recently rewrote a significant part of the Next Episodes widget, so I might be able to help. The widget should throw an exception in specific circumstances, but that still shouldn't be causing Kodi to crash. However, Emby or the Windows layout might be interacting weirdly with how the exception is handled. If you mark the last episode of every TV show as unwatched, that should prevent the widget from causing an exception. Can you try that, then let me know if Kodi still crashes when loading the Next Episodes widget?
(2017-08-17, 00:31)supersaiyan3 Wrote: I recently rewrote a significant part of the Next Episodes widget, so I might be able to help. The widget should throw an exception in specific circumstances, but that still shouldn't be causing Kodi to crash. However, Emby or the Windows layout might be interacting weirdly with how the exception is handled. If you mark the last episode of every TV show as unwatched, that should prevent the widget from causing an exception. Can you try that, then let me know if Kodi still crashes when loading the Next Episodes widget?

OK, did as you asked and it still crashes.
Ok, thanks for testing that. I'm not sure what would be causing it then. Hopefully Marcel can find something
(2017-08-14, 01:41)ktide1 Wrote:
(2017-08-14, 00:43)matty_g_8 Wrote: Any update to this?

Was just coming here to post the same question. I've now discovered that this seems to affect more than just the "next episodes" widget. At first, it seemed I could change to some other widget - "Recently Added TV Shows" for instance - and all would be OK. But now I'm getting crashes on and off with this widget also. Same type of behavior - all is well until I navigate to the TV Shows main menu item where the widget is associated and then the crash occurs. And again, this seems to be only with the 'Windows 10' menu layout.

Really hoping Marcel can look into this soon, I basically have all TV Shows widgets disabled right now as I am fond of my Windows 10 layout!

EDIT: Just tested with "In Progress Episodes" and this also crashes. And it doesn't seem to matter if I select a widget from Skin Service Widgets or Smart Shortcuts, TV show/episode widgets from both cause Kodi to crash. And oddly enough, it doesn't crash each and every time. Like just now, I exited and restarted Kodi with the "In Progress Episodes" widget still active, and this time I could navigate to it OK. It's really weird and hard to reproduce consistently depending the widget that is used. But there is definitely something weird going on with a combination of the Emby add-on, the Windows 10 menu layout, and TV Shows widgets in general. Again, hopefully Marcel can figure something out.

Not just windows 10 layout, I'm using Netflix style 2 with same issues, latest Kodi on FTV box

Sent from my iPhone
I can still not reproduce this issue. I doubt it's an issue with the widgets itself, more like some issue within the skin or a combination.
Did you guys test with a virgin Kodi install ? Change settings/add add-ons one by one until the issue appears again ?
Thanks marcel,

I have 2 boxes setup the same & find that addons stop responding on both boxes at different times, I tried resolving by doing fresh installs but a few weeks later the same issue arises. The only solution I found was to change skin to default restart allow addons to load & then swap skin back to titan. Few weeks later follow the same process.

I will post a log next time.

Sent from my iPhone

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Next Episodes widget causes Kodi to crash (Kodi 17.3, Titan Beta 3.7.61)0