4K Video and TV
So I am in need of a new TV and am thinking of getting one with 4K...thta's pretty much what they all are now...aside from OLED which I cannot bring myself to buy until prices drop.
I don't have any 4K content and likely won't acquire any anytime soon (although I may consider buying the new XBox once released.
Anyway.
So I have decided to try playing a 4K video on my current setup (yes my current tv is not 4K capable but that doesn't really matter), HTPC, custom built with a video card that supports 4K.

When playing the 4K mkv file, the audio is perfect but the video stutters constantly.... is there specific settings in Kodi that need addressing fro 4K playback ?

I guess my real question is will my 1080p movies look fine on a 4K tv being played from Kodi, has anyone gone down this road yet?

Thank you
For playing 4k videos you would need a graphic card which support H.265 hardware decoding.- otherwise you have stuttering as you already noticed.

1080p videos looks fine on a 4k TV - but no real difference between a fullHDTV and 4kTV.
1080p titles will be up scaled to 2160p. A good upscale will look similar to a native UHD but not as precise. A good upscale will depend on your displays capabilities which almost always is best done at display vs. software player. I think there is some controversy how best to achieve that? It may depend on platform (O/S) used, software combinations, and displays themselves? For example; Many advise 1080p settings at O/S and software levels to allow the display to do the upscale which makes perfect sense. However, this does not pan out in the real world for me using W10 and a Samsung display. Instead I do just the opposite and set everything at 2160p and my display does the upscale otherwise 1080p settings look absolutely terrible. This is true for the desktop, video playback, Kodi GUI, and anything that produces an image of any kind. Others may need to keep this in mind.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
wow, topic is a bit more involved then I suspected.
This is the video card I currently have : ZOTAC GeForce GT 730
Obviously, as mentioned, it doesn't fully support 4K content.
Any recommendations on how best to shop for a capable GPU , is there a specific site that will tell you if it is 4k h.265 ?

So would you recommend not getting a 4K tv and staying with standard HDTV ?
Is everything that is not 4K, I like my fibe tv, going to look like crap unless I do some tweaking on the TV?
No one is recommending you don't upgrade to 4k. I highly encourage it. Along with the display, you will need a either a PC, HTPC, (any PC will work with a capable video card either existing or upgradeable. A laptop with a non-compatible GPU will not work), streaming box or gaming console. The most affordable way to ensure you will be able to playback ANYTHING is upgrading a video card. It will be your only cost and the display of course. Displays come in many flavors. Select one with the features you require. The least expensive GPU I know of that will playback anything is an NVidia GTX 960. GPU's need to be selected carefully. Just because numbers are higher or newer generations does not mean they are superior and many times are less capable. A GTX 970 vs a 960 is a perfect example. The manufactures site lists specifications. Various forums discuss specific limitations or advantages for specific formats and or usage. Again, a GTX 960 4GB covers all my bases. I have not found any scenario or title I cannot playback perfectly. There may be others. Keep in mind this opinion is for PLAYBACK. Ripping is another story. Ripping 4k is not possible yet and when/if it is will most likely require specific hardware beyond simply video cards. Until then, if at all, we are all guessing if that is fact or not.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Is this the card you are referring to?
Zotac GeForce GTX 960 2GB DDR5 PCI-E 3.0

I will make the leap then to the 4K world, great information, thank you all
I use this https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Installed-Ba...B00UOYQ5LA
I purchased two of them used at half that price though. I suggest you get something with at least two fans if you want it to be silent. Netflix will require at least 3GB fwiw. There is also a GTX 1030 3GB that folks claim is decent although I've never put one through its trials. The cost new would be about the same as a used 960 I think but it may or may not perform as well?

(2017-08-09, 15:37)laola Wrote: For playing 4k videos you would need a graphic card which support H.265 hardware decoding.- otherwise you have stuttering as you already noticed.
This is not true. There's plenty of h.264 4k sources and graphic card support. Without knowing what OPs hardware is and what video format he's trying to play you just can't make such a statement.
Just my 2c.

I have a Sony Bravia television 4k model 55in. purchased a year ago. Thought this was going to be a great addition. I'm not 100% sure 4k is really worth the upgrade.

My content sources are 2160 movies, Netflix, YouTube. They all look wonderful when standing 1 foot from the television. From 10 feet sitting on the couch, hard to tell 4k from a decent 1080 source.

In order to play 4k movie content, I must cycle through 3 different players using Kodi (SPMC actually). Mx Player, Sony Player, Kodi internal. I have created a custom playercorexml file to do just that.

I'm not a gamer, so I can not comment on game play. I suspect they look wonderful in 4k.

cwh
Thanks for the information guys, greatly appreciate all the input and advice
Keep in mind if you are going to do 4K/UHD on your PC you need to be mindful of the HDMI spec of both graphics card and TV input.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
(2017-08-09, 15:37)laola Wrote: For playing 4k videos you would need a graphic card which support H.265 hardware decoding.- otherwise you have stuttering as you already noticed.

1080p videos looks fine on a 4k TV - but no real difference between a fullHDTV and 4kTV.

True 4k isn't that much of a leap from 1080p, however HDR is a game changer. I'd much rather have 1080p HDR then standard 4k. With a good panel its like night and day!
(2017-08-10, 10:59)cosmo321 Wrote:
This is not true. There's plenty of h.264 4k sources and graphic card support. Without knowing what OPs hardware is and what video format he's trying to play you just can't make such a statement.

4k TV signals are normally encoded in H265 globally - 4k UHD disk are also encoded in H265. - most (if not all) 4k MKV I know are also encoded in H265. For sure you can also encode in H264 - but the file size will be MUCH bigger...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K Video and TV0