v17 HDR10 playback on "standard" equipment
Hello !

After searching around, I post here my question, which I hope will help other people (and me!)

When playing in Kodi an MKV with HDR10 and H265, the colors are super dull, and dark.
Important : the file is played through a projector which is not HDR-capable.

Here are some technical details about the file and the hardware

MEDIA FILE
------------------
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Profil du format : Main [email protected]@high
Identifiant du codec : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Durée : 2 h 2 min
Débit : 10,7 Mb/s
Largeur : 1 920 pixels
Hauteur : 800 pixels
Format à l'écran : 2,40:1
Type d'images/s : Constant
Images par seconde : 23,976 (24000/1001) Im/s
Espace de couleurs : YUV
Sous-échantillonnage de la chrominance : 4:2:0
Profondeur des couleurs : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Image) : 0.290
Taille du flux : 9,10 Gio (96%)
Langue : Français
Default : Oui
Forced : Non
Gamme de couleurs : Full
Coordonnées de chromaticité : BT.2020
Caractéristiques du transfert : SMPTE ST 2084
Coefficients de la matrice : BT.2020 non-constant

GPU / CPU
-------
GPU : Intel HD Graphics 530 (integrated)
CPU : Core i7 6700

So, question is, is there something I can do to play decently this type of media files ? (I understand that I will NOT get 10 bit colors)

Thank you!
Afaik, the internal Kodi player cannot decode HDR. You would need to use an external player with Kodi that can decode HDR. Given that, your display isn't even HDR capable. There is however a recently developed app that automatically makes adjustments in the external software player that you define and save per title. This way you can get something out of an HDR title with non-compliant software and/or hardware other than the "dull and dark" playback you are currently experiencing. How well this works with your Intel Graphics I can't comment let alone how well it works in general? I've never tried it. Search around for XDR with Kodi.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Will do that !
Kodi DSPlayer -build with MadVR is also able to convert HDR to SDR. MadVR can put a lot of stress to GPU, I'm afraid that your integrated Intel GPU can't handle that.
Hi, I gave a shot on MadVR and Kodi+DSP, but the result is at first sight the same. Indeed, I did not play with every madVR settings (they are too many).

Plus, that Kodi+MadVR combination was much less stable than the standard 17.3. Kodi crashed few times during my tests.

I will for a fully integrated solution, and meanwhile will not try to read H265+HDR files,sadly.
Hello

I have a intel NUC latest kaby lake running kodi 18.
i also have a 4k sony projector which supports HDR Sony VW285ES

How do I play 4k HDR 10 encoded MKV.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDR10 playback on "standard" equipment0