official skin and add-on license?
(2017-08-14, 11:14)Jeroen Wrote: Let's put things in perspective. Creating skins for Kodi, and even the entire Kodi project is a hobby project. I am saying this without intending to devalue any contributions made to either. So no, skinners will not set up a legal document to ensure people will temporarily keep it under wraps.

So in those circumstances people will go with their instincts and belief in people's intentions and honesty. And the way I see it, that is what is the main issue here. Not copyright law, license agreements or what legally constitutes an idea or invention.

I am not defending OP wanting to use a non-derivative license, but I do think he has the right to feel betrayed and can understand it to a certain extent.

Totally agree. I'm not sure what was taken, but it is a pretty low blow to release something to a handful of testers and have someone lift ideas out of it before its even finished. It was the same thing on _djh's new Aeon project where the list view was being copied in the AeonMQ mod as soon as there was a screenshot of it. I mean, give creators the chance to fully realise their ideas first before you go helping yourself to them!!!

I think the fact that it is a hobby project makes the betrayal even more personal and harder to take. Hundreds of hours spent crafting something that you feel extremely proud of, so you want to share what you've done and then someone lifts your ideas immediately, it really cheapens the time and dedication put into a project.

It is like if you had spent time hand carving a set of wooden chess pieces and as soon as someone saw them they made some crappy 3d printed replica. Some would say you should take it as flattery, but all it really does is makes it feel like what you have painstakingly crafted is being treated like some worthless made in China junk.

With all that said, I think this is way more an issue about trust and courtesy rather than licenses and restrictions. It really is a shame that there are a small minority who seem to struggle with the concept of attribution and the common courtesy of politely asking first. Seeders versus leeches I guess...
Arctic Fuse - Alpha now available. Support me on Ko-fi.
It's obvious by the posts their is a history I'm unaware of, one beyond the scope of the first post.

IMO All work should be respected for the time and effort taken... on the other hand ideas publicly posted on an open forum are up for grabs.

Sent from my SM-G935T
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
@Lunatixz: that would be this: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2598278
I've only seen ranting and complaining, but not a word about what exactly was taken and where it was being ripped off to. For all we know he is talking about a feature in the colorbox script that he asked to be added and that popped up in a skin mod (which is not ripping off ideas).
(2017-08-13, 21:49)Lunatixz Wrote: It's alarming that you've spent a better part of the year taxing the forums with skin and development related questions... Yet turn your nose to those community members that provided you the learning blocks required. You've received an abundance of help all while never releasing a single project..

(2017-08-14, 19:53)BigNoid Wrote: I've only seen ranting and complaining, but not a word about what exactly was taken and where it was being ripped off to. For all we know he is talking about a feature in the colorbox script that he asked to be added and that popped up in a skin mod (which is not ripping off ideas).

@BigNoid it has nothing to do with colorbox I personally thought I had given colorbox a lot of credit as I posted updates while making the skin.. badaas may not anymore after this post but has been very helpful working with me to get things added as his script bring a lot of features to the table.
The part of being ripped off relates back to the link jeron posted.. someone brought it to my attention it pissed me off I got over it and changed my stuff.

The part of who and what really has no matter to the original post I was just asking to protect me self in the future. And apparently I didn't think the thought completely through as it was pointed out in the first few posts.. and after release I really don't care what is done to it... I just wanted to release what I had been working on as a whole something new..... So no I am not going to tell who or what because that's not the point.

@Lunatixz as I am guessing you looked at my post over the last year to get this information. And in the once part to me explains why I asked this question to begin with... I am not a programmer.. I am a freakin electrician by trade... I have been learning to skin over this time frame which is why I have not released anything sooner I am slow at coding. The skin side I finally am comfortable with but the skin side can only do so much so that's when you and I started conv I literally am starting from nothing trying to learn python add features I think would make my skin stand out... And yes you and I have exchanged ideas and you have helped alot along the way guiding me to what I need to learn next to do what I wanted to do.. and thought maybe I haven't shown my gratitude enough I really go thank you as I would still be lost.

But with that to all hear on the form the guys most replying to this thread my question was not meant to be a stab at anyone. As most of you have actually given me advice over the past year at some point.. or as badaas has added things to his code to get some of my "ideas" working. I thank you all.

And as I see I will just stay under wraps with all going forward until I am actually finished and ready for a public release as you have made the point once it is out there weather public or private it is out there and there is no protection. Heck it all the work I have put in over the last year probably isn't worth the time no ways.

But this is my public apology to thoses of you I have offended. I didn't think this question would have gotten the feed back that it did. I actually thought it would just be a simple no and that would be all. So I sorry if it seems I am Leaching off of all of for my personal gain. This it far beyond the truth I has actually really excited to share and very proud considering I am a dumb electrical to had produced what I did.

Anyways thank you all for your thoughts, guidance, time and being there for me to help me get as far as I had.
Shield TV | Windows 10 | Mariadb | Mii Box
Evolve Ecosystem Repo | TV Melodies | Madnox Holiday Mod
There is a core problem of establishing when computer program B is a derivative work of computer program A. Goes back in the US to the battle between Lotus 1-2-3 and Paperback Software VP Planner. Over time courts have defined "tests" to determine when a derivative work exists. On a practical basis, I don't think a Kodi skinner will have the resources to get a court ruling that could be enforced. I suppose the best to be hoped for is prohibiting the second skin from being added to the official repo.

In the realm of "ideas" I think software patent is a better route than copyright, though the question of what is patentable in software is also contentious.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
official skin and add-on license?0