v19 Bing: Photos of the Week
Is there a way to disable the bing overlay? Or is that text baked in into the image?
Hi! I'm a real newbie with Kodi things, but one of the first things I tried was your screensaver plugin.

I'm running version 1.0.6, directly downloaded from the official Kodi repository, and I'm running Kodi 19.4.0 (Matrix) on a Raspberry Pi Zero W 2 (with the default skin Estuary; theme, colours, font etc. all set to default) and I have the same issues as were reported back in 2021:
  • Screen shows "info" instead of the name of the pictures currently being viewed
  • Warning on the logs for "Skin has invalid include: contentpanelslide", followed by "ERROR <general>: Control 101 in window 13000 has been asked to focus, but it can't"
Unfortunately, it's the first time I take a look at anything related to Kodi-specific code (and I hate Python, to make matters worse!), so I'm afraid I cannot add much more than the comments above, and also my full logs, if you wish to take a look at them: https://pastebin.com/SrywWcma

Note that commenting out the <include>contentpanelslide</include> line on your skin's default.xml naturally gets rid of the warning, but that's not really relevant to fix the errors.

I first thought that contentpanelslide was either deprecated in 19.4, or not supported yet, or, alternatively, not supported under the Estuary skin.

But the Kodi Wiki clearly uses it in an example: Panel_Container (wiki)

And it was not flagged as deprecated; instead, the Kodi Development 21.0 for Binary and Script based Add-Ons still links to pretty much the same example as the Wiki: https://xbmc.github.io/docs.kodi.tv/mast...iner_sect1 (note: that link is version-independent; at the time of writing this post, the development version for Kodi was 21.0).

Then I thought that maybe the issue was that I've set up Kodi to use British English, and perhaps your screensaver only supported American English? But when browsing for the presence of the relevant *.po files, it was clear that you support pretty much every language under the sky  Angel

So clearly I'm on the wrong track here. Do you have any suggestion about what I should do?

Thanks again for doing this plugin!
Not sure what the issue is.  The "contentpanelslide" should probably be removed.  i assume it is some sort of animation used in the past.  I do see from the log that xbmc.getLanguage(xbmc.ISO_639_1, True) is returning stuff that's strange.  On your log

Code:
https://www.bing.com/hpimagearchive.aspx?format=js&idx=2&n=8&mkt=en-DE
and when I tried I get

Code:
https://www.bing.com/hpimagearchive.aspx?format=js&idx=2&n=8&mkt=-us
That isn't the cause of your problem (I don't think your system is getting the images for some reason) but might be worth investigation.

scott s.
@Gwyneth Llewelyn @scott967 

What is the issue? log prints a noticed about an unused window? 

The included animation is a leftover and will be removed... however, it is benign and does not impact your system or use of the screensaver. If you are having issues please describe the problem. THX
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
@Lunatixz — indeed, as you say. From my previous email:
  1. Screen shows "info" instead of the name of the pictures currently being viewed
  2. Warning on the logs for "Skin has invalid include: contentpanelslide", followed by "ERROR <general>: Control 101 in window 13000 has been asked to focus, but it can't"
The first is possibly related to what @scott967 found out: possibly the URL for the link to get the images and associated data is being incorrectly constructed. While the image, by itself, doesn't require any special localisation (an image is, after all, just an image), Bing sends related text (namely, the image's caption) in several different languages (not many — and English is clearly the default — but it's a few). This is very likely what is not working and, as a consequence, we just get the actual box saying "Info" (or sometimes even just "", i.e., just the two quote symbols with nothing in-between). Others on this forum might have no issues since they rely on a different language (which gets downloaded correctly).

As to the issue related to the contentpanelslide, aye, if you're not using the animation, it should be removed. It's just a warning, sure, and has no direct impact on Kodi. However, as you can see from the posted logs, it is followed by an error. As said, I'm not really familiar with the whole Kodi ecosystem, but my best guess is that the failure to load the contentpanelslide has, as a consequence, some sort of small window/panel/element associated with it that cannot get the focus (possibly because it hasn't been correctly instantiated). Does that make a difference and/or an impact on Kodi? My guess is that it doesn't, but... there is a reason why Kodi flags it as an error as opposed to merely a warning. Just because you cannot see any difference, it does not mean that there isn't any impact; for example, Kodi might allocate some sort of memory buffer in advance, expecting that it will be instantiated correctly at some point. When this doesn't happen (due to lack of the animation panel thingy), 'something' is not working as it should, and, who knows, perhaps that memory buffer is never reclaimed by the system — meaning that every time the screensaver launches, a tiny little bit of memory never gets released back to the system; and, over time, that tiny little bit grows and grows, until eventually Kodi crashes.

Mind you, that is only speculation, of course. Because I use an underpowered Raspberri Pi Zero 2 W with only 512 MB of on-chip RAM, I see those kinds of memory-running-low-crashes much earlier than a 'normal' system with several GBytes of RAM to spare :-)

BTW, the reason I picked your screensaver by default is because it is available from the official Kodi repository, and, as such, a much more trustworthy source :-) There are other similar screensavers for Kodi elsewhere; I tested out Mark König's Bing Pictures Screensaver, which, however, only has a 19.X version available from the non-official kodinerds.net repo. It works flawlessly, so you might take a look at the relevant bits of code he used. It's not exactly a copy of yours, mind you; it lacks some features (such as a smoother transition) while adding some others (like pasting the current time in very big letters over the image). Nevertheless, it doesn't post any warnings or errors, and the Bing caption for the picture does work — and is even printed in the correct language. I'm sure it's worth taking a look at it Smile (I did!)

Cheers and thanks for all your work & efforts!
Thanks for the suggestions; I can assure you this error IS benign... and the offending line of code will be removed.

As for other Bing screensavers, I was unaware and don't see the need to review or make comparisons. I'll be more than happy to review any feature suggestions you have.

Thanks again.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
Right the missing include is not a problem.  I thought there might be something wrong with "xbmc.getLanguage" based on the url that was getting logged but when I started playing around with it I think it is OK and really a problem in core as how language gets set.  But in going direct to the bing url in browser, I didn't see that the "mkt=" query parameter really made a difference; at least it didn't prevent getting a response.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bing: Photos of the Week2