Adding .M4V to music library
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll test the new built once you share the link. Looking forward to get this sorted and M4V files supported with Kodi.
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Steve here is another test build for .m4v files
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/windo...AD-x86.exe

I'm hopefull this will work, but have not been able to try myself.
Yes, this is working. Well done and thanks!

Somewhat related question / request - when I select these M4V files (part of my music library), they actually play music only and not the musicvideo. MP4 files play musicvideo. Can you also help fix this?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
Thanks for feedback, that can go forward to the release.

Musicvideo.... sorry I'm going to say no. I just don't have enough time to do all the things there are to do, so I decided some time ago to stay away from the moving pictures stuff Smile

It could be something trivial I know, but I'm not going to start digging. If someone spells out the changes (like Scott did in this case, well almost) then I will raise them, but I really can't take it on. I will support anyone that wants to take that task on in any way I can, and I know there is a user with some tech skill very interested in the music video stuff, so maybe they will manage to do something.
(2017-08-18, 16:50)steve1977 Wrote: Yes, this is working. Well done and thanks!

Somewhat related question / request - when I select these M4V files (part of my music library), they actually play music only and not the musicvideo. MP4 files play musicvideo. Can you also help fix this?

I think you just need to add a new system rule to playercorefactory.xml. Copy the system one into your userdata and edit it by adding a new rule:
Code:
<rule name="M4V" filetypes="m4v" player="VideoPlayer" />

scott s.
Thanks, great, this is now working. Is this something you'd suggest to make default or keep the manual edit?

I noticed two more things - conscious that this is an anyways an unsupported - though very great - feature:

1) The musicvideos (M4V) take quite a few second to start playing. It feels that it is caching them first, which I am not clear on the why. This is not happening with music files (M4A or MP3), but also not

2) At the end of playing the musicvideo, it does not progress to the next music file (if next is music) and also not to the next musicvideo file (if next is musicvideo). For example, I cannot watch a full album of musicvideos. In old versions of Kodi, this was - by accident (?) - supported.

Any additional thoughts appreciated!
No idea about 1) and tempted to blame the proprietry Apple format of .m4v Smile

Is 2) just about settings? Try enabling the "Play next video automatically" in Settings>Player>Videos, of course that will effect all video playback.
Thanks for your message. Helpful as always.

I enabled as suggested, but unfortunately not working. It plays the musicvideo clip, but then "stalls" at the last second and shows a blascreen with a circle wih a 0 in the middle.
Oh well, that was just a thought.

Funny moving picture stuff.... out of my comfort zone Smile
This is operating at the edge of what you can do in Kodi.

However, in looking at some things I found a bug in Kodi 18 (0809 nightly) compared to Kodi 17.3 release that is causing a hang.

This has to do with mixed smart playlists. Background: Kodi has the ability to create a smart playlist of type "mixed". The filter selection rules are applied against both songs and video "music video" content and the results are displayed in the media container.

Mixed playlists are available both within the "music" window (MyMusicNav) and "videos" window (MyVideoNav). How these mixed playlists work is dependent on which window they are opened in.

The hang occurs when the mixed playlist is opened in the "music" window. In this instance, the views show all items in the playlist, both songs and MV videos. When the user presses the "info" key, if a song is focused the "songinformation" (DialogMusicInfo) dialog is opened. If a music video is focused the "movieinformation" (DialogVideoInfo) dialog is opened. This works in both 17.3 and 18.

If the mixed smart playlist is "played" both songs and music videos are queued. In this case if the "musicplaylist" (MyPlaylist) is opened, all items (both songs and music videos are displayed). In Kodi 17.3, when the user pressed the "info" key, if a song is focused the "songinformation" dialog is opened (same as in the music window). However, when a music video is focused the "songinformation" dialog is also opened (instead of the movieiinformation dialog as in the music window). In general this works OK (may need some skin coding support). But in Kodi 18, when "info" is pressed while a music video is focused, Kodi immediately hung (windows pops up a "program stopped responding wait / close" dialog).

Not related to this hang, but when you play a mixed playlist in both 17.3 and 18, if you open the "videoplaylist" (MyPlaylist) window, only the music videos are listed (and pressing "i" brings up "movieinformation" dialog).

Note that when "play next song automatically" is ON, when a mixed smart playlist is loaded in the music window, selecting an item will queue both songs and music videos into the musicplaylist.

scott s.
Thanks for sharing. I am still on 17.3, so assume this big doesn't impact me?

Actually what I am trying to accomplish used to work in the past. I don't know whether this was 16 or 15 or ancient times, but it is something that was supported. I used to be able to just play a song of a "musicvideo album" and it did play the full album with all video clips (part of the music library). Any idea what has broken this undocumented feature?
(2017-08-22, 02:20)steve1977 Wrote: Thanks for sharing. I am still on 17.3, so assume this big doesn't impact me?

Correct

(2017-08-22, 02:20)steve1977 Wrote: Actually what I am trying to accomplish used to work in the past. I don't know whether this was 16 or 15 or ancient times, but it is something that was supported. I used to be able to just play a song of a "musicvideo album" and it did play the full album with all video clips (part of the music library). Any idea what has broken this undocumented feature?

Tested on 17.4. I added "mp4" to musicextensions in advancedsettings, added a music source folder containing mp4 files and scanned into the music library. I entered album node in music window and scrolled to a music video album (album in which all files are mp4). I selected the first entry (track). All files were added to the musicplaylist and at least the first 2 tracks played. I did have an extended "busy" dialog between musicvideos, in scanning a debug log I see
Code:
14:32:39.845 T:3288   DEBUG: FactoryCodec - Audio: FFmpeg - Opened
14:32:39.845 T:3288  NOTICE: Creating audio thread
14:32:39.845 T:3288  NOTICE: Opening stream: 0 source: 1024
14:33:01.400 T:3288   ERROR: CVideoPlayerSubtitle::OpenStream - Unable to create subtitle parser
so on that thread it seems like something is stalling until it gives up on the subtitle parser. Not sure if this was introduced in 17.4. Update: retested in 17.1 RC and I get the same delay/error in log.

scott s.
Thanks scott for testing. So, it eventually moves from musicvideo 1 to 2 for you? The bug you perceive is that it hangs for a few seconds in between? This isn't great, but already a bit better than what I am seeing. Any idea how this could be fixed?

I don't know in what version (maybe 14, 15, 16), this used to work flawless.
Yes, it does queue all the music videos in the album into the music playlist, and plays them according to the current in-use playlist settings ie, shuffle, repeat one / repeat all / repeat none.

But like I said, playing video out of the music library isn't supported so you get what you get.

I have made my peace with it and have music video in the video library and it works well for me. Main thing I would like to see is option to use taglib on video mp4 or mkv files to get metadata, instead of having to use 3rd party app to extract metadata for nfo files.

scott s.
Bringing this back up as it seems that development is moving on to musicvideos? Would really love to get "play from" to work for M4V files.

Happy new year 2018 to all music lovers!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding .M4V to music library0