v17 HLS streams unwatchable due to network buffering
I'm having a couple problems with HTTP live streaming on Kodi. In this particular instance, I am using the Twitch add-on, but the problem is with the HLS playback system (ffmpeg?), not the add-on itself.

The first issue is somewhat minor, but concerning. In my kodi.log file, I'm seeing several errors when starting playback of an HLS stream. A section that says "video decoder returned error" repeats over 100 times in the log. It's possible that it may be failing due to not having received enough video data from the network, but I'm not sure. Either way, it doesn't seem like this should be intended behavior. The video does eventually play, but it takes anywhere from 10 to 20 seconds to start.

The bigger problem I'm having (not sure if related) is with severe network buffering and playback pausing/stuttering/jumping/etc. Essentially, the streaming video is unwatchable. Interestingly, the problem only started happening a couple weeks ago, so I don't know what changed. My internet connection is not to blame, because the problem does not occur when streaming the exact same content through a web browser (e.g., the Twitch website). The problem only happens in Kodi. Furthermore, I've tested it on a few different computers, and the problem is repeatable on all of them. I've tried a few tweaks, such as increasing the cache size and read factor, but nothing so far seems to help.

Here is a pastebin that includes some (hopefully) relevant snippets from my log file.

Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HLS streams unwatchable due to network buffering0