Black Level issues
I am reposting this with a new debug log. I DO NOT HAVE ADDONS. Kodi starts with extremely elevated black levels. The problem has nothing whatsoever to do with my displays (their black levels are calibrated). The problem ONLY happens with Kodi, NOT with either of my Blu Ray players, VLC player, or MPC player. Increasing the brightness in Kodi from 50% to 51% causes the black level to get DARKER, which is obviously wrong. I set it to 51%, set that to default, then exit and restart Kodi, then reset to to 50%, after which black levels are correct. This is an extremely annoying procedure to go through. I should just be able to set it at 50% and forget it.

https://www.pastefs.com/pid/21214
Not a debug log unless debugging is on from Kodi starting.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thank you. Here is the link with debug on when starting Kodi:

https://www.pastefs.com/pid/21226
(2017-07-08, 08:42)Robert3750 Wrote: I am reposting this with a new debug log. I DO NOT HAVE ADDONS. Kodi starts with extremely elevated black levels. The problem has nothing whatsoever to do with my displays (their black levels are calibrated). The problem ONLY happens with Kodi, NOT with either of my Blu Ray players, VLC player, or MPC player. Increasing the brightness in Kodi from 50% to 51% causes the black level to get DARKER, which is obviously wrong. I set it to 51%, set that to default, then exit and restart Kodi, then reset to to 50%, after which black levels are correct. This is an extremely annoying procedure to go through. I should just be able to set it at 50% and forget it.

Is this Libreelec? and is it ok after playing a video?

If so i'm sure I read somewhere is a bug in LE, will try and find it

Edit
Seems like it may only be unofficial builds for S905x
Code:
If you use S905X device the screen will be darker than normal on boot. It goes back to normal after you start/stop a video

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/2156-8...#post17290
No, it's win7 with nvidia gpu, and the problem occurs when playing video using h/a (dxva) -- I've encountered the problem too.
Doesn't happen when software decoding -- ie H.265 encoded files with older nvidia's.
(2017-07-08, 15:46)promark Wrote:
(2017-07-08, 08:42)Robert3750 Wrote: I am reposting this with a new debug log. I DO NOT HAVE ADDONS. Kodi starts with extremely elevated black levels. The problem has nothing whatsoever to do with my displays (their black levels are calibrated). The problem ONLY happens with Kodi, NOT with either of my Blu Ray players, VLC player, or MPC player. Increasing the brightness in Kodi from 50% to 51% causes the black level to get DARKER, which is obviously wrong. I set it to 51%, set that to default, then exit and restart Kodi, then reset to to 50%, after which black levels are correct. This is an extremely annoying procedure to go through. I should just be able to set it at 50% and forget it.

Is this Libreelec? and is it ok after playing a video?

If so i'm sure I read somewhere is a bug in LE, will try and find it

Edit
Seems like it may only be unofficial builds for S905x
Code:
If you use S905X device the screen will be darker than normal on boot. It goes back to normal after you start/stop a video

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/2156-8...#post17290

I don't know what Libreelec is, or what an S905X device is. This is not a "Kodi box". This is the official Kodi 17.3 release downloaded from Kodi running on a Windows 7 computer (problem has been present on all 17.x releases). This problem NEVER happened prior to the 17.x releases. As I indicated, the only way I've found to deal with the problem is to go through the tedious procedure of playing a video, bumping UP the brightness to 51% with the Kodi slider, which makes the display DARKER (which is obvious misbehavior), then making the brighter setting the default, then exiting, then restarting, then playing a video, then resetting to 50%. I shouldn't have to go through all this just to watch a video.
(2017-07-08, 15:58)host505 Wrote: No, it's win7 with nvidia gpu, and the problem occurs when playing video using h/a (dxva) -- I've encountered the problem too.
Doesn't happen when software decoding -- ie H.265 encoded files with older nvidia's.

I'll test it several times with h/a off and see what happens;
It's hard to reproduce, as it doesn't happen always, and haven't found a pattern when this happens.
Tbh until now I thought it was something on my end, then I saw your report.
(2017-07-08, 16:21)host505 Wrote: It's hard to reproduce, as it doesn't happen always, and haven't found a pattern when this happens.
Tbh until now I thought it was something on my end, then I saw your report.

Same here. Doesn't happen every time. It's super annoying that I have to check the black level EVERY time I run Kodi, then go through the tedious procedure to fix it.
I remember once I solved it by going to nvidia's control panel, Adjust video color settings/Advanced/Selected With nvidia settings/here you have to choose limited or full color range depending on your equipment (tv, avr).
Then kodi's osd video settings don't have an affect (when h/a is used).

Obviously it's not a kodi fix, ie you leave kodi out of any involvement of video processing.
Good that you've captured a log, I'm trying myself and can't reproduce right now.
Well, I ran Kodi several times with h/a off, and the problem didn't reoccur. However, I do NOT consider the problem to be "solved". I had the same initial results when I posted the previous thread, and the problem was attributed to add-ons. After I deleted them, I initially thought "oh good, problem solved." No, it wasn't. I will only consider it solved after SEVERAL weeks of watching movies on both my displays, making sure black levels are ALWAYS correct, and there are NO hiccups with h/a turned off. As it is, Kodi clearly has a bug.
Update: It doesn't occur with h/a off. For some unfathomable reason, a few weeks ago I suddenly needed to adjust the brightness down to 44 from 50. I have no idea why.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black Level issues0