Different Recording and Timeshift Directories
After some googling I found we can change the default recording directory on linux from /var/lib/video by setting VIDEO_DIR in /etc/default/vdr but it also now places timeshift files in there. Is there a way to specify a different directory for timeshift files?

Thanks
Which vdr server version do you use?
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
(2017-08-14, 02:26)hoppel118 Wrote: Which vdr server version do you use?

Version 2.2.0 on Xubuntu
OK, with vdr version 2.2.0 I did it the following way:

under "/var/lib/vdr/setup.conf" you have the possibility to configure the path for the TimeshiftBuffer. "vnsiserver.TimeshiftBufferDir" is what you are looking for:

Code:
vnsiserver.Timeshift = 2
vnsiserver.TimeshiftBufferDir = /srv/dev-disk-by-label-timeshift/timeshift/
vnsiserver.TimeshiftBufferFileSize = 74
vnsiserver.TimeshiftBufferSize = 222

If I remember right, you can set it up the following way:
  • vnsiserver.Timeshift = 0 -> Timeshift off
  • vnsiserver.Timeshift = 1 -> Timeshift to RAM
  • vnsiserver.Timeshift = 2 -> Timeshift to HDD
  • vnsiserver.TimeshiftBufferDir = /path/to/your/timeshiftbuffer
  • vnsiserver.TimeshiftBufferFileSize = X -> BufferFileSize per vdr client
  • vnsiserver.TimeshiftBufferSize = X -> BufferSize for all vdr clients

For TimeshiftBuffering I mounted a 222GB ssd to "/srv/dev-disk-by-label-timeshift/" and "/srv/dev-disk-by-label-timeshift/timeshift/" is the path where vdr has the rights to r/w. I have three vdr clients. Every client is able to generate a BufferFile with a size of 74GB.

under "/etc/vdr/conf.d/00-vdr.conf" you have the possibility to configure the path for your recordings:

Code:
[vdr]
--video=/var/lib/video

There was a change from version 2.0.2 to 2.2.0. It's not possible to set the variable "VIDEO_DIR" in "/etc/default/vdr" with vdr 2.2.0.

Don't forget to stop the vdr service before editing the files and start again after editing the files. Wink

Maybe it's possible to configure some (or all) parameters at the vdr client gui. But for me it's not possible to do this at the client side, because the vdr client gui under the kodi pvr settings (client specific) is not working with AndroidTV or Win10.

Greetings Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
(2017-08-14, 13:50)hoppel118 Wrote: OK, with vdr version 2.2.0 I did it the following way:

under "/var/lib/vdr/setup.conf" you have the possibility to configure the path for the TimeshiftBuffer. "vnsiserver.TimeshiftBufferDir" is what you are looking for:

Code:
vnsiserver.Timeshift = 2
vnsiserver.TimeshiftBufferDir = /srv/dev-disk-by-label-timeshift/timeshift/
vnsiserver.TimeshiftBufferFileSize = 74
vnsiserver.TimeshiftBufferSize = 222

If I remember right, you can set it up the following way:
  • vnsiserver.Timeshift = 0 -> Timeshift off
  • vnsiserver.Timeshift = 1 -> Timeshift to RAM
  • vnsiserver.Timeshift = 2 -> Timeshift to HDD
  • vnsiserver.TimeshiftBufferDir = /path/to/your/timeshiftbuffer
  • vnsiserver.TimeshiftBufferFileSize = X -> BufferFileSize per vdr client
  • vnsiserver.TimeshiftBufferSize = X -> BufferSize for all vdr clients

For TimeshiftBuffering I mounted a 222GB ssd to "/srv/dev-disk-by-label-timeshift/" and "/srv/dev-disk-by-label-timeshift/timeshift/" is the path where vdr has the rights to r/w. I have three vdr clients. Every client is able to generate a BufferFile with a size of 74GB.

under "/etc/vdr/conf.d/00-vdr.conf" you have the possibility to configure the path for your recordings:

Code:
[vdr]
--video=/var/lib/video

There was a change from version 2.0.2 to 2.2.0. It's not possible to set the variable "VIDEO_DIR" in "/etc/default/vdr" with vdr 2.2.0.

Don't forget to stop the vdr service before editing the files and start again after editing the files. Wink

Maybe it's possible to configure some (or all) parameters at the vdr client gui. But for me it's not possible to do this at the client side, because the vdr client gui under the kodi pvr settings (client specific) is not working with AndroidTV or Win10.

Greetings Hoppel

Thank you, I tried your suggestions it and it worked perfectly!

I think I had to use the old Confluence skin in order to configure the client through the Kodi interface; but I remember I could not find any video/timeshift directory settings in the menus. The conf entries will do just fine though
Great, have fun! Wink
Bye

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Different Recording and Timeshift Directories0