@PatK sharing a library in the same house is now considered Piracy?
(2017-08-15, 07:04)rmrector Wrote: @natethomas Thank you so much for such reasonable thoughts on this matter from someone that is a part of Team Kodi. We've needed it for quite a while, IMHO, because this atmosphere has very much silenced any of us outsiders on the matter of Team Kodi and moderators being "over-zealous" for fear of having discussions binned or our accounts banned outright. It's a borderline witch hunt, and while we obviously don't fear for our lives in this case, the fear of banishment is very real and not at all unwarranted; most of us wouldn't be able to express our thoughts on this so eloquently, making it more likely that our words are taken the wrong way and thus judged too harshly.
+1

Sent from my SM-G935T
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
@natethomas - "party play" would be a nice feature, but as soon as one Kodi instance is kinda "broadcasting" to another, this might cause legal issues. So for such a feature IMO all clients need to pull the media on their own and Kodi simply would handle more or less synced playback
In regards to the legality of a “party play” feature a vr company Bigscreenvr has released bigscreen Cinema that does a similar thing. https://blog.bigscreenvr.com/the-cinema-...cd96e4067c
(2017-08-15, 10:14)da-anda Wrote: @natethomas - "party play" would be a nice feature, but as soon as one Kodi instance is kinda "broadcasting" to another, this might cause legal issues. So for such a feature IMO all clients need to pull the media on their own and Kodi simply would handle more or less synced playback

I honestly don't see this feature happening any time in the near future, so probably not worth debating all that much. I would be curious though, how a person could argue this is any different, ultimately, than inviting a friend over and watching it together. That's technically a broadcast too. And it's ironically close to the tossed out of court lawsuit from the NFL for super bowl parties.
I agree that at times, discussions do essentially get shut down too quickly.

On the other hand though, I can also understand that over time, moderators continually have had to deal with a lot of deliberate intent to shoehorn attempts to promote piracy that I guess a certain amount of paranoia is inevitable.

But regardless of either side, it always begs one question of the average user.

Is it really worth the effort to complain when it is just as easy to walk away and focus on so many other things.
Basically +1 to what Nate said.
We must draw a clear line between actual piracy (ie watching stuff nobody paid for) and the usage made of stuff that was bought by you, or your extended circle.

The 1st one is clearly illegal, while the 2nd is a grey area, whose legality depends on where you live and some other semi-random circonstances.

Bottom-line: As Nate once said, we are not the police Wink
Whatever is grey should be left to court, not us.

Before some trolls come into this, no, streaming stuff you didn't pay for from some random locker is not grey, it's clear-cut piracy. Rule of thumb could be: did you ever met the ones providing the sources?
The problem with the "hard copy" is not an issue, but if i use my own Country Denmark, i can ofc do as nate wrote BUT as soon as the DVD is backed up without breaking the encryption ofc "yea sure we all remember that" but Danish law states i make back up a "single" copy for MY EYES ONLY so if i read the thread right they have backed up their collection so in fact they may not share in the the manner KODI just approved on this goes for most EU countrys
Thank you
English is not my native language; please excuse typing errors.
Grampa Simpson: Unfortunately, like all true stories, this one has a crappy ending. You have a story with an ending.
Grampa, are you sure you're okay to drive at night? Grampa: It's night?
Banned add-ons
What about the physical dvd/BD? Are you disallowed to lend it?
What if the disc becomes unreadable? Assuming you can lend the physical one, you are not allowed anymore to lend the backup, so you loose rights on stuff you *bought*?

We probably shouldn't try, by ourselves, to enforce bad laws written by Hollywood lobbyists either Wink
(2017-08-17, 08:41)Koying Wrote: Bottom-line: As Nate once said, we are not the police Wink
Whatever is grey should be left to court, not us.

The thread was re-opened, so I think we can shut this one down. With that said, I'll never pass up an opportunity to quote somebody else who is quoting me. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
@PatK sharing a library in the same house is now considered Piracy?0