Help choosing a box
I've looked at the other threads on here and have really just gotten confused more than anything else.

I've bought two boxes from different places that turned out to be junk and I just want a simple box that I can essentially plug and play in order to use Kodi to watch video files (mkv, avi, mp4) that I have on a USB drive. I like the Kodi interface and so while I know most blu ray players already have a USB port that will allow this I have a lot of files and want the nice skin with the cover art to scroll through and all that.

Can anyone suggest an easy to use, good quality (I'd spend up to $150 or so for the right product) box that I can plug in, connect an HDMI cable from it to my TV and be good to go?
You're really not telling us enough to make any kind of determination as to what device to recommend.

If all you want is is run Kodi, then something like a RPi will do. Even with the devices that you already own you might be able to salvage them by flashing or dual booting with LibreELEC.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough

I have an iDroidNation box and one of those $30 preloaded ones from Amazon. Both aren't terrible although the one I got from Amazon won't let me install Kodi 17 and iDroidNation won't respond to my emails asking a basic question about the power cable

I like the idea of a box that functions much like a blu ray player or a PS4. I switch to that input on my TV, power up the box and get a menu with Kodi, Netflix and whatever else (or, in the alternative, if it's even easier and more efficient, a box that immediately boots into Kodi although I previously had an Azus mini comp that did that and I could never do updates or anything)

Speed and power are key as nothing frustrates me more than buffering since some movies I'll be watching are movies I have on an external drive that is connected to a PC on my home network.

Hopefully that helps a bit more
Suggestion - Install FTMC, its a fork of Kodi Jarvis optimised for older Hardware and there are even versions for Rockchip and AMLogic (AML) devices:

FTMC 16.x.x

Otherwise if its Kodi only you want, have a look here:

AMLogic S905(x) - LibreELEC / OSMC - Kodi Krypton - 4K Options

If that still does not suit...make a list of which Audio and Video (& Apps) options are most important to you and look in here:

START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated August 2017)

I looked at the "Pick the Right Kodi Box" thread and that's where I got confused because I saw all these different options for downloading stuff but what I'm looking for is someone to point me in the direction of a box that has what I need instead of different things to download

Sorry if I'm coming off as difficult and/or dumb but I kind of am when it comes to this stuff
Personally I suggest you just grab a Plug n Play Vero 4K that runs Kodi Krypton on the OSMC(linux) OS.
It will do exactly what you want out of the box and more, and you will not have to battle with Android OS limitations if you decide to add multiple USB Hard drives. There is also a responsive Support forum for that device as well

If you want to save money its DIY with an AMLogic S905/S905x box and plug in a Wireless remote as I suggested in the...

AMLogic S905(x) - LibreELEC / OSMC - Kodi Krypton - 4K Options

(2017-08-15, 20:11)thatclassicmaterial Wrote: I looked at the "Pick the Right Kodi Box" thread and that's where I got confused because I saw all these different options for downloading stuff but what I'm looking for is someone to point me in the direction of a box that has what I need instead of different things to download

Sorry if I'm coming off as difficult and/or dumb but I kind of am when it comes to this stuff

You really only have two main choices to make. Hardware, and Operating System. You've already decided Kodi. Some of the hardware runs some OS or only one OS better than others. That's maybe what's looking rather complicated but it's not that bad. Lots more details and I'll try to help:

What kind of files? ISO? MKV? MPEG?

Do you care about 3D?

How about 4K? HDR?

Are you expecting to use the device for full Neflix and/or Amazon resolution (which means 4K & HDR) or just basic HD?

How much space do you need to hold those files or are they already on an external drive - if so what kind of external drive?

Are you expecting anything special from your audio? Dolby Atmos or just the basic 5.1 type of technology?
Thank you @wrxtasy

@twinpeaks: all those file types as well as AVI and MP4, no 3D but possibly 4K and HDR as my TV is brand new, internal space is irrelevant as I have multiple external drives (2 at most) and audio isn't a priority

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help choosing a box0