Picture Scaling Algorithms explanation ?
(2017-08-22, 06:50)fritsch Wrote: When video starts, it checks the shader that is set - this is lanczos 3 in your case. It takes that shader computes the scaling ratio. If it below those 20% it will fall back to Nearest Neighbour / Bilinear else it will use Lanczos3 Optimized.

Sorry, this is not correct. It is not evaluated when video starts but every time configuration parameters for rendering have changed.
Thanks for correcting this.
(2017-08-24, 07:35)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2017-08-22, 06:50)fritsch Wrote: When video starts, it checks the shader that is set - this is lanczos 3 in your case. It takes that shader computes the scaling ratio. If it below those 20% it will fall back to Nearest Neighbour / Bilinear else it will use Lanczos3 Optimized.

Sorry, this is not correct. It is not evaluated when video starts but every time configuration parameters for rendering have changed.

which happens on video start, too ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
if it has rained, the streets are wet. but if the streets are wet, it has not necessarily rained
(2017-08-27, 16:32)FernetMenta Wrote: if it has rained, the streets are wet. but if the streets are wet, it has not necessarily rained

If you walk out of the house, with your ambrella in arm, you check the sky if it's raining and open it, if it does. If you are on the road already, you open the ambrella when it starts to rain :-) - whatever both answers don't answer the OP's question - as he basically does not know what he wants to ask :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I am sure you understand but for some kind of reason you don't admit that your were wrong. there is a big difference if scaling algorithm is evaluated only at start of playback or every time paramaters are changing. Kodi does the latter. Assume you play some dash source and due to network connectivity a lower res track is chosen. At this time Kodi may switch to hq scaling.
Sure it also happens at start of playback but by omitting half the truth you confuse users and your comment is worth nothing.
(2017-08-27, 18:28)fritsch Wrote: ..... the OP's question - as he basically does not know what he wants to ask :-)
Says you fritsch.

From my first post :
(2017-08-15, 23:20)Luke Cage Wrote: I want to learn when to apply which picture scaling algorithm.
Which : picture scaling algorithm XYZ. When : jagged people and objects.
But I can't find anything about Picture scaling in the Wiki. And in the Tips and Tricks forum there is also nothing. Not in one place.

Is there such an explanation, in one place ?

Also:
When does a change of this setting take effect ? Instantaneously, or is the current buffer emptied first ?
I see 2 questions with plenty of added background as to why the questions were asked.
Which parts of these 2 questions is it that you can't comprehend ?

Instead you gave me some do-this-and-you'll-be-fine-in-most-cases settings to apply.
Which didn't answer my questions.

You even asked me :
(2017-08-20, 19:16)fritsch Wrote: As I still don't know what hardware you use ... I cannot help you further. On Android for example with surface rendering and mediacodec no lanczos is available at all.

I posted my hardware as seen by Kodi. And you didn't follow up on it.
So why ask ? You don't know what you want to ask.
(2017-08-28, 16:25)FernetMenta Wrote: I am sure you understand but for some kind of reason you don't admit that your were wrong. there is a big difference if scaling algorithm is evaluated only at start of playback or every time paramaters are changing. Kodi does the latter. Assume you play some dash source and due to network connectivity a lower res track is chosen. At this time Kodi may switch to hq scaling.
Sure it also happens at start of playback but by omitting half the truth you confuse users and your comment is worth nothing.

You did not read correctly. Let me cite it for you, written in my very first reply in this thread.

Quote:The scaling methods is changed instantly - you see that in the log.

Edit: But hey. We both know, that you know much more about how it works than everybody else (not joking, it's true). But now - the user still has his questions left. So you and me seem to have failed both answering his questions. So then - please help him.
@FernetMenta
I already found the answers to my questions at another forum.

@fritsch
You obviously don't handle the situation very well where somebody (one of your fellow team members) points out a mistake.
Instead you first twist, turn and argue. Then attempt to take what you experience as "the heat" off yourself by redirecting it to me with " - as he basically does not know what he wants to ask :-)".
Which is obviously not taking away the fact that you made a mistake.
You have to learn (some day) that everyone makes mistakes, no matter how experienced they are. And that making the mistake doesn't matter. How you handle it, does.
(2017-08-29, 06:20)Luke Cage Wrote: @FernetMenta
I already found the answers to my questions at another forum.

@fritsch
You obviously don't handle the situation very well where somebody (one of your fellow team members) points out a mistake.
Instead you first twist, turn and argue. Then attempt to take what you experience as "the heat" off yourself by redirecting it to me with " - as he basically does not know what he wants to ask :-)".
You have to learn (some day) that everyone makes mistakes, no matter how experienced they are. And that making the mistake doesn't matter. How you handle it, does.

Thanks very much for your summary. In fact you are right "I can't handle situations very well" when someone does not read _all_ my replies (especially the first one) and judges based on the third follow up.

fernetmenta Wrote:Sorry, this is not correct. It is not evaluated when video starts but every time configuration parameters for rendering have changed.

which exactly happens on video start where rendererer configuration is changed and where additionally settings are loaded, which might be a "Lanczos 3 Optimized" for the video that you want to play (else you could not save scaling settings per video, which are stored in db) and for the other part I gave the answer in the very first post:
fritsch Wrote:The scaling methods is changed instantly - you see that in the log.

So when you use "facts" - judge correctly. Also as you cannot judge about what kodi really does, I am not sure your judgements holds very long ...

What you did not get was the following:
Starting a video is an action user does, but pressing the video button is not the trigger for checking which scaler to use. When playback starts the renderer is reconfigured, so its configuration is changed and that in combination with the above triggers scaler change. This is what fernet said in his reply (streets, rain, etc.). So technically: it has nothing to do with starting of video playback, but with rendering change - and this is caused on the way to video playback.

Basically I feel sorry for simplifying the technical reasons, to make it easy to understand as I thought why should I confuse users with "the renderer" <- nobody knows what kodi's "renderer" is - is the gui renderer meant, is the hwdecrenderer meant, what is a hwdecrender?

But I feel argueing with you does not lead to anywhere. If your question is solved - we are fine and happy.

Next time I will reply: Everytime kodi's renderer is reconfigured!

Then user will ask: Aeehh, yeah and when is it refoncigured, what is the renderer?

Then I will tell you, whenever you change the scaling settings (during video playback) or also when you for example start video playback, which restores your saved scaling settings and reconfigures the renderer.
(2017-09-03, 08:26)fritsch Wrote: Then user will ask: Aeehh, yeah and when is it refoncigured, what is the renderer?

Then I will tell you, whenever you change the scaling settings (during video playback) or also when you for example start video playback, which restores your saved scaling settings and reconfigures the renderer.

Again not complete. Video parameters can change on the fly without user interaction. Another trigger maybe display configuration, i.e. you switch the app from one monitor/projector to another.
Jep and there is one more, you don't mention ... I think you got the point.
(2017-09-03, 08:26)fritsch Wrote:
(2017-08-29, 06:20)Luke Cage Wrote: ...
@fritsch

Thanks very much for your summary. In fact you are right "I can't handle situations very well" when someone does not read _all_ my replies (especially the first one) and judges based on the third follow up.

Thanks for confirming what I wrote.
Do you understand the first line of your own post (named "the third follow up" by you) which I quote below ? The one that refers to the reply you name "(especially the first one)". So what you're saying is that I did not read your reply that linked wrong code. And that I judge based on you telling me that it linked wrong information anyway. Sounds pretty psychedelic to me.

Just to wake you up (if that's possible at all) but at least to make you less outdated, I was describing the way you handled the situation when pointed at by your fellow team member that you made a mistake. Not about anything prior to that. I seriously doubt your ability to comprehend anything.
(2017-08-19, 16:16)fritsch Wrote: For Video Player the above linked code is the wrong code. The scaling methods is changed instantly - you see that in the log. Depending on which decoding you use (hw or sw) I'd suggest Lanczos 3 Optimized - in combination with "Use HQ scalers when scaling above 20%".
I feel this thread is slowly degenerating and now off topic.

The thread is closed.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Picture Scaling Algorithms explanation ?0