Bug TMDB Movie Scraper has problems with title abbreviations
So I have come across a bug, where TMDB Movie Scraper simply cannot find the correct movie, when the movie name is an abbreviation of the form

Examples:
Code:
E:\Movies\R.I.P.D. (2013) [1080p]\R.I.P.D..mkv
E:\Movies\I.T. (2016) [1080p - BluRay]\I.T..mkv

If the periods in the names are removed, "RIPD.mkv" and "IT.mkv", then it does find the correct movies.
But the movie names do contain periods, so the scraper addon should be able to handle these.
Filenames are less important IMO when looking for a successful movie scraping.
If renaming a video file is the solution, then it's a very small price to pay.

On the other hand, you can also try a manual search for a movie when (re)scraping doesn't work automatically. No scraper is 100% flawless.
(2017-08-16, 18:53)Splike Wrote: So I have come across a bug, where TMDB Movie Scraper simply cannot find the correct movie, when the movie name is an abbreviation of the form

Examples:
Code:

If the periods in the names are removed, "RIPD.mkv" and "IT.mkv", then it does find the correct movies.
But the movie names do contain periods, so the scraper addon should be able to handle these.

Have you tried "R.I.P.D. (2013).mkv" and "I.T. (2016).mkv"? I wonder if having a period right before the extension is causing issues.
(2017-08-16, 18:53)Splike Wrote: If the periods in the names are removed, "RIPD.mkv" and "IT.mkv", then it does find the correct movies.
If that's what you really want, then why not add the files with the periods removed, then rename the movie titles in Kodi using the library editor script to include periods. Once done, export the library as this will create NFO files with the edited title names. Then if you ever have to cause to remove and add the library again Kodi will use these NFO files with the edited title name when building the library.

Well, that's what I would do anyway Smile
Because of the fact (presumably) that many people use periods in their file names to replace spaces, Kodi automatically replaces the periods with spaces when there are no actual spaces in the file name (before passing it on to the scraper). So the scraper only sees e.g "R I P D" as the search term and the search fails to return the right movie.

If you are keeping the movie files in their own folders, and those folders have a space in them before the (year) as in your examples, I would suggest selecting the "Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title" option in the Set content dialog, as this will make the scrapers use the folder name rather than the file name, and the periods should be retained as periods thanks to that space. The extra information after the year will be ignored.
(2017-08-16, 20:03)Klojum Wrote: Filenames are less important IMO when looking for a successful movie scraping.
If renaming a video file is the solution, then it's a very small price to pay.

On the other hand, you can also try a manual search for a movie when (re)scraping doesn't work automatically. No scraper is 100% flawless.
(2017-08-16, 21:47)kennywayne07 Wrote:
(2017-08-16, 18:53)Splike Wrote: So I have come across a bug, where TMDB Movie Scraper simply cannot find the correct movie, when the movie name is an abbreviation of the form

Examples:
Code:

Have you tried "R.I.P.D. (2013).mkv" and "I.T. (2016).mkv"? I wonder if having a period right before the extension is causing issues.

I would prefer to have the files only contain the name of the movie and nothing else. And the folder should have all the extra info. But it seems like the scraper does contain a few bugs, since it doesn't work as expected. Even with the "Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title" option enabled.

(2017-08-16, 22:27)Dumyat Wrote:
(2017-08-16, 18:53)Splike Wrote: If the periods in the names are removed, "RIPD.mkv" and "IT.mkv", then it does find the correct movies.
If that's what you really want, then why not add the files with the periods removed, then rename the movie titles in Kodi using the library editor script to include periods. Once done, export the library as this will create NFO files with the edited title names. Then if you ever have to cause to remove and add the library again Kodi will use these NFO files with the edited title name when building the library.

Well, that's what I would do anyway Smile

Interesting. I will take a look at that soultion, If I don't get it working otherwise. Thanks.

(2017-08-16, 23:12)scudlee Wrote: Because of the fact (presumably) that many people use periods in their file names to replace spaces, Kodi automatically replaces the periods with spaces when there are no actual spaces in the file name (before passing it on to the scraper). So the scraper only sees e.g "R I P D" as the search term and the search fails to return the right movie.

If you are keeping the movie files in their own folders, and those folders have a space in them before the (year) as in your examples, I would suggest selecting the "Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title" option in the Set content dialog, as this will make the scrapers use the folder name rather than the file name, and the periods should be retained as periods thanks to that space. The extra information after the year will be ignored.

So I removed my library and re-added it with the "Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title" option selected. Interestingly enough, R.I.P.D. is added to the library correctly, but I.T. is added as "I Saw The Light" from 2016.
They have the exact same names as in my example, so I really don't know why it behaves like this.

Also, thanks for explaining what the option "Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title" does. It would be nice if there was a description in Kodi, explaining this. Maybe it should be renamed to "Movies are in separate folders that contain the movie title"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TMDB Movie Scraper has problems with title abbreviations0