Unable to "search" with H265 video
I use KODI as the media server software. Thanks for providing this great apps. It work flawlessly with H264 video.

However, when it host H265 video. My TV (LG 84LA9800) cannot "search" (e.g. no fast forward). The TV can only play the whole video from the beginning, cannot resume from the last stop position.

I used to use another server apps (called Playback) to host, however, it's been stopped developed for a long time, and finally not quite working well on Sierra. With Playback, the TV can "search" the H265 video. So, it's not the video's problem.

I use XBMC long long time ago on the original XB, but I am very new to KODI on Mac. Do I miss anything? Is there any setting I can do? Or it's normal because KODI doesn't support this function yet?

Million thanks in advance if anyone willing to provide me any direction!

---------------------------------------------------

OSX Version 10.12.6 (16G29)
Platform , LG TV 84LA9800
Version of Kodi 17.3. (20170524-147cec4)
Detailed Instructions to Reproduce the Problem (Simply host the H265 video and TV unable to use fast forward)
FULL Debug Log (since I suspect it's not a bug but may be setting / function issue, so no log yet).

GUI Problems (GUI normal)

Playback Problems:
Video codec and container (H265, container .ts)
Audio codec and container (AAC, container .ts)
MediaInfo output ( goggle mediainfo for where to obtain it for your platform)
You may also be asked for a sample.

Other things that may be useful:
System hardware specs (Mac Pro 5,1, W3690, 48GB 1333MHz ECC RAM, R9 380, videos stored on an internal WD Red 6TB HDD, Kodi and OS run from Samsung 840 Evo)

Architecture x86_64
I doubt its related to the mac version of kodi. Any chance to test kodi on something else (windows or linux) to verify that it behaves the same? Just to clarify - you use kodi as upnp server only - right?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I only use it as upnp server. The video is played on the TV, not inside Kodi.

Just run a quick test, Kodi itself can play the H265 video on my Mac flawlessly, I can jump to any time marker by a simple mouse click.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will test and report back a bit later (my kids enjoying some 3D movies now, I don't want to disturb them). I will install Kodi on Windows 10 via Parallel, and see if the TV can control the H265 playback properly.
Tested, OS irrelevant, Kodi on Windows 10 perform exactly the same. My TV notify me that the fast forward function is not available when playing the H265 4k movie that's hosted from Kodi upnp server.

Direct play from HDD is fine.

Play from another upnp server apps also OK.
Not really a kodi problem then, more a problem with the tv?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-08-20, 00:24)nickr Wrote: Not really a kodi problem then, more a problem with the tv?

But when I use Playback as the upnp server, the TV can do fast forward normally. So, it is somehow Kodi related.

Same TV, same video file, same computer (as host), same hardware, same OS, same network, same TV internal player. The only change is the upnp server (from Playback to Kodi). Then fast forward / resume from last stop position function suddently become not available. Since the only variable is the upnp server apps, so I think it is Kodi related.
Kodi's upnp server is not a particularly good implementation. Use playback.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks for the suggestion. Since Playback is stopped update for few years already. Wasn't working quite well in current MacOS (not stable), so I am looking for alternatives. Kodi can do the job more stablely, but lack of one important function. I will decide if I should go back (if that can work), or keep Kodi and avoid H265, or run both upnp server apps at the same time. Anyway, once again, thanks for creating this fantastic software, and reply to my question. Hopefully Kodi will keep improving and fix this issue in short future. Cheers!
Try Universal Media Server (supports rar'ed files), or you could try use software like Plex, which might have better upnp implementation than Kodi..but generally sucks otherwise.
(2017-08-20, 12:42)Soli Wrote: Try Universal Media Server (supports rar'ed files), or you could try use software like Plex, which might have better upnp implementation than Kodi..but generally sucks otherwise.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try Plex long time ago, didn't quite like it. It used up lots of system resource for basically nothing (during idle, may be doing indexing, but really no other server apps need to do that). I may try that again to see if there is any significant improvement.

Also, will have a look of Universal Media Server. Cheers!
Why not just buy a cheap computer and put Kodi on it, and plug it into your tv via HDMI?
(2017-08-21, 06:15)nickr Wrote: Why not just buy a cheap computer and put Kodi on it, and plug it into your tv via HDMI?

Because I want to keep everything simple. My wife, my kids, especially my parents, they can barely use the remote to choose correct channel / movies. If add an extra computer, I bet they will simply give up. And "voice control" me to do everything for them Confused

Also, my TV only has 3 HDMI inputs all used by other devices, if add one more, it's not just choose correct channel and enjoy, but need extra switch etc. Will make the whole system much more complicated.

Hopefully when the XB1X comes out, it can do the job properly, then I can make it the "default" 4k video player, and 4k gaming machine. So that one HDMI input can do both job. At this moment, XB1, PS4, and a TV box already used up all HDMI inputs.
OK well what I described is how kodi is designed to work. If you want to use upnp to your TV, and kodi isn't doing it for you, than you need to find a better upnp server.
Oh, I get what you mean now. Coincidentally my original upnp server apps is calling "Playback", which cause some confusion. I understand what you mean now. Will look for other solution, Thanks for your reply and suggestions. Cheers!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to "search" with H265 video0