Alpha?? Seems more like a RC
I'm not opposed to having the SVN version as part of the version. For instance, ffmpeg release versions are of the form 3:0.cvs20070307-5ubuntu4, which to an end user makes no difference, they still only have to apt-get install ffmpeg. At the same time, a simple apt-cache show ffmpeg lists the necessary details. In the end, it saves the developers a lot of time and makes no difference to the end user.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

To me as a developer, v2.1a1 or whatever is completely meaningless. I'd have to actually lookup in SVN what that means. To a user it's meaningful - that's the version they grabbed, and the version they expect to be able to report bugs about and get support on. If we had an army of support personnel this wouldn't be an issue, but when I am supporting users directly I need to know what it is I'm supporting, and revision number gives me exactly what I want, immediately. It's just one less impediment to me offering support.

It seems to me the simplest solution is to simply dump the SVN revision number in the release version number. This has the additional bonus that if and when nightlies are packaged up it keeps versioning the same across the board.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

OK. So the final name would be something like:

xbmc_2.1a1_svn12185-0ubuntu1_i386.deb

xbmc = package name
2.1a1_svn12185 = version_revision
0 = no root debian package
ubuntu = ubuntu package
1 = first ubuntu package released of this version
i386 = 32bit intel binary
just to make that point clear;

the day we store ANYTHING in the registry is the day i REALLY leave this project (i know, i've said it before and that failed miserably but that IS a show stopper).

and yes, definitely include the svn revision. even if in a somewhat discreet way
And ideally the SVN revision should be displayed on the sysinfo screen. Not sure if there's a way to include it automatically in the source via SVN trickery or whether it has to be scripted prior to build?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Which svn version is being targeted for deb construction? I'd like to start the AppleTV development and begin identifying issues to be solved and it would be helpful to start on a similar basis.

Thanks
Scott
Last I heard, they were looking to tag a version today.
The deb will be made from 12195 which has been tagged as 2.1a1-candidate. You can checkout from:
Code:
https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net:/svnroot/xbmc/branches/2.1a1-candidate/
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Alpha?? Seems more like a RC0