Solved Kodi crashes most of the time, when SteamVR starts
i'm having some problems with Kodi inexplicably crashing in some situations. it is reproducable 80% of the time, when i start SteamVR, but also occurs in some other situations.

here's a debug log.

and here is the (german) info from the event log:

Code:
Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: Kodi.exe, Version: 17.3.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x5925f940
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: MMDevApi.dll, Version: 10.0.15063.447, Zeitstempel: 0x9e5f269f
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x0003f202
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x1c20
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d319db12a532d9
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\Kodi.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Windows\System32\MMDevApi.dll
Berichtskennung: f46f1931-a6ff-46fb-a316-6555a3e06108

maybe someone can point me towards a solution for this.

here is my setup:

Kodi v17.3
Windows 10 x64
i7-7700
Asus ROG STRIX Z270G GAMING Mainboard
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X

let me know, if you need any more info.
The last line of the log WndProc: Focus switched to process C:\Spiele\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\bin\win32\vrmonitor.exe appears to handoff all activity to another process, and is at that point, the issue. Check the process, (Kodi) are closing with something like process explorer, or if the handoff is fragmented, this sounds more of a windows multi-tasking issue.
Thanks PatK for your suggestion, but i was able to further narrow down the problem:

SteamVR changes the default audio device after launch, and i was able to also reproduce the crash, by changing Windows's audio-output-devices (e.g. disabling devices or changing the default device). Most of the time such a change would cause Kodi to crash.

I think, i've also found a fix for this problem. I've disabled "Keep audio device alive" in Kodi's settings, and after restarting Kodi, i was not able to reproduce the problem anymore.
I hope this tip is the solve; it's an easy fix for something that would appear to vex brain cells.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi crashes most of the time, when SteamVR starts0