Need Advice for Prime/Netflix/Kodi/Android
Hello everyone,

after beeing a lurker for many years, i finally registered to get the input of all you knowledgeable people around here.

Currently (and for quite some time now) i have a Fire TV 1 Set up as my entertainment device. While it does everything i'm asking, it recently started to slow down. I have to restart it 2-3 times a day since youtube or Netflix playback is slowing down and getting choppy. After a reboot everything is fine again, but it's starting to bug me. I want to replace it with something that's got enough oomph so i don't have to close background apps to have youtube working.

What i "need"
- Amazon Prime Video
- Netflix
- Kodi with local database (streaming media only, no live tv)
- currently 1080p (for future proofing 4k would be nice, but i've go tno 4k TV yet so...)
- Youtube Android TV App (i hate the kodi extension. The Android TV App is way better)
- Decent Remote

Basically, i'd like The Android TV Apps for Netflix, Prime and Android as there frontend is easier to use for the wife. Most Kodi Plugins are functional but not very "pretty". Kodi should play 1080p with reasonably high bitrate (biggest BD Rips are about 30G for a film. I can look at the exact bitrates and file formats when i'm back home later). I do not need any HD Audio, Surround Atmos or such things. My setup is currently Stereo only and will be 5.1 as a maximum later this year.

What i've gathered from other threads as options:
- Wetek Play2/Hub (the Play2 is "only" 50€ more expensive, so it feels like the better deal)
- Xiaomi Mi Box (half the price of the Wetek Hub)
- Some Nuc/BeeBox/Brix x86 device (Seems to be impossible to get the android apps to work, plus expensive)
- ODroid C2 (I've got no problem with DIY, but the price seems unreasonable. With a case, sd card and Remote it's more expensive than the WeTek Play2)
- Already tried the RPi3, it's not powerful enough and again, no android apps...

So, what is the recommendation to fullfill my needs for the slimmest budget possible?
Amazon (Prime) Video is what will throw a spanner in the works here, so either get a 2 device setup for Prime / Android Apps and then a cheap AML S905(x) running optimised LibreELEC Kodi Krypton or spend the coin and buy a NVIDIA Shield for an all in one Integrated package.

Ease of use for the Wife & Family = buy a NVIDIA Shield.

"enough oomph" and then some = buy a NVIDIA Shield. Wink

Spend the extra money, do it right and then sit back and relax.

From START HERE:

Q. I need a Kodi box that can play 1080p or 4K DRM copy protected video streams such as Netflix, HBO etc. ?
NOTE: Unless you have a HDMI connected Dolby Digital Plus Audio receiver, expect 2.0 Audio only from DD+ DRM streaming Apps running on Android TV platforms. Only very specific devices can run the Amazon Video App properly.

1080p/4K Android Netflix / Amazon Video is only possible on media players boxes that include Widevine L1 & HDCP 1.x/2.2 support in device Firmware.
  • NVIDIA Shield (4K + HDR Netflix / HDR Amazon Video)
  • Xiaomi Mi Box (4K Netflix)
  • Amazon Stick/FTV1 + FTV2 (4K) (Amazon Video)
  • Intel / AMD x86-64 computers with GeForce GT 1030 or later Nvidia graphics card solution running Win10, using either dedicated Apps or a Web Browser.
  • WeTek's Core (1080p Netflix, audio is 2.0 only)
  • WeTek Hub & Play2 (4K Netflix - using Marshmallow Firmware)
  • Apple TV4
  • MECOOL M8S Pro + (S905X) (1080p Netflix with 3rd party Android TV Firmware)

(2017-08-21, 11:15)wrxtasy Wrote: Amazon (Prime) Video is what will throw a spanner in the works here, so either get a 2 device setup for Prime and Android Apps or spend the coin and get a NVIDIA Shield for an all in one package.

So, if i keep the FTV for the rare Prime occasions, it's a toss between Xiaomi and WeTek?
Any reason to spend the 100$ more for the WeTek Play2 over the MiBox?

I'd really like to get most stuff done with a single box. My Experience with the Android version of Kodi on the FireTV was great. If either of those boxes runs Kodi in Android, or Dual Boots, that would be the way to go really.

Edit: Since the Shield seems like the way to go, some questions:
I can only get it as a bundle with the game controller i don't need (220€ new). When going used, those things seem to hold their value incredibly well. There seem to be different verisons (2015/2017??) is there any difference that i should care for? I'm looking at the 16G version because NAS Wink
(2017-08-21, 11:18)domsch1988 Wrote:
(2017-08-21, 11:15)wrxtasy Wrote: Amazon (Prime) Video is what will throw a spanner in the works here, so either get a 2 device setup for Prime and Android Apps or spend the coin and get a NVIDIA Shield for an all in one package.

So, if i keep the FTV for the rare Prime occasions, it's a toss between Xiaomi and WeTek?
Any reason to spend the 100$ more for the WeTek Play2 over the MiBox?

I'd really like to get most stuff done with a single box. My Experience with the Android version of Kodi on the FireTV was great. If either of those boxes runs Kodi in Android, or Dual Boots, that would be the way to go really.

The Wetek will dual boot LibreElec, and also supports dynamic refresh rate in Android. Don't think the Mi box supports either of these. Why are you discounting the Wetek Hub out of interest?
(2017-08-21, 11:18)domsch1988 Wrote: Any reason to spend the 100$ more for the WeTek Play2 over the MiBox?

Ease of use = Mi Box, its Wireless Voice remote is superb for Android TV Apps, runs Kodi Krypton pretty well too. AC WiFi is excellent if you have a decent home WiFi router. If not a reasonably cheap USB to Ethernet adapter can be used.

I've even been playing with this setup for nice smooth 1080p Mi Box Kodi video playback:

"Sync playback to Display" - with cheap Android Hardware

DIY Dual Boot LibreELEC / unofficial Android TV (Nougat) on the cheap:

$38 MECOOL M8S Pro + (S905X) (1080p Netflix with 3rd party Android TV Firmware)

As I said before if you want a single Android TV box with speed and ease of use. Bite the bullet and buy a NVIDIA Shield.
You get what you pay for.
Anything else is a compromise.

Be aware WeTek Hub / Play2 current has major problems (hopefully fixed real soon) with Android TV Netflix:

http://wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/ca...androidhub
http://wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/ca...ndroid-wp2

Our posts overlapped. Here the Edit from above:

Edit: Since the Shield seems like the way to go, some questions:
I can only get it as a bundle with the game controller i don't need (220€ new). When going used, those things seem to hold their value incredibly well. There seem to be different verisons (2015/2017??) is there any difference that i should care for? I'm looking at the 16G version because NAS
(2017-08-21, 11:44)noggin Wrote: The Wetek will dual boot LibreElec, and also supports dynamic refresh rate in Android. Don't think the Mi box supports either of these. Why are you discounting the Wetek Hub out of interest?
I'm in Germany. I can't find a local dealer for the Hub. After shipping and import taxes the play2 (which i can get from amazon) is only 10$ more expensive. I figured the added Power would be worth the added cost.
For WeTek you buy straight from WeTek HQ shop in Portugal, within the Eurozone:

https://wetek.com/ww/en/

(2017-08-21, 11:51)wrxtasy Wrote: For WeTek you buy straight from WeTek HQ shop in Portugal, within the Eurozone:

https://wetek.com/ww/en/

Oh, great, didn't realize they are from the EU.
The difference between the HUB and Play2 still is pretty insignificant really. I just saw, that a DVB-C Tuner is only 10$ extra. Any input on how good the TV function is? Does it offer PVR functionality and is the tuner accesible in Kodi? Although not planned, if the Tuner works decent (i currently use the TV's biuld in tuner which is... lets say a few years old) this might seal the deal for the Play2...
Play2 + WeTV App WeTek use for PVR usage = not user friendly and pretty buggy. EPG is a right royal PITA. Personally I along with many others hate the WeTV App. WeTek Android Marshmallow Android Firmware is a bit buggy as well, like broken 10bit HEVC video playback.

This all changes when you easily flash this Android TV (Marshmallow) ROM from @Ricardo which includes a TvHeadend server. Kodi Krypton and refresh switching all works properly with that ATV ROM.
You then use Android TV - Live Channels for casual TV viewing or SPMC (Kodi Jarvis) for Kodi PVR usage.

Its pretty good for an all in one ATV PVR lite package. @Ricardo is the most switched on Android TV ROM developer I've seen. Smile

I would not buy the WeTek Hub for Android TV at all. 1GB RAM is too limiting for Android. The IR remote is complete rubbish too.
1GB RAM for LibreELEC it is fine, especially with the Hub's Gigabit Ethernet and AC WiFi.

Speed: Play2 vs NVIDIA Shield. Shield will be noticeably quicker.

PS. Found a 10% Discount Code for WeTek device from the other WeTek threads:
Discount code: SAS1052 valid till 31 August.

(2017-08-21, 12:10)wrxtasy Wrote: Play2 + WeTV App WeTek use for PVR usage = not user friendly and pretty buggy. EPG is a right royal PITA. Personally I along with many others hate the WeTV App. WeTek Android Marshmallow Android Firmware is a bit buggy as well, like broken 10bit HEVC video playback.

This all changes when you easily flash this Android TV (Marshmallow) ROM from @Ricardo which includes a TvHeadend server. Kodi Krypton and refresh switching all works properly with that ATV ROM.
You then use Android TV - Live Channels for casual TV viewing or SPMC (Kodi Jarvis) for Kodi PVR usage.

Its pretty good for an all in one ATV PVR lite package. @Ricardo is the most switched on Android TV ROM developer I've seen. Smile

I would not buy the WeTek Hub for Android TV at all. 1GB RAM is too limiting for Android. The IR remote is complete rubbish too.
1GB RAM for LibreELEC it is fine, especially with the Hub's Gigabit Ethernet and AC WiFi.

Speed: Play2 vs NVIDIA Shield. Shield will be noticeably quicker.

PS. Found a 10% Discount Code for WeTek device from the other WeTek threads:
Discount code: SAS1052 valid till 31 August.

Thank you so much! So Play2 it is. I accept the Shield might be the better Android box, but having the Stock ATV Rom at 100€ less is just to good to pass on. Having the option to potentially watch TV with it is a bonus i'll have a play with when it arrives. No big deal if it's not that great.
(2017-08-21, 11:05)domsch1988 Wrote: What i "need"
- Amazon Prime Video

I may have missed something, but AFAIK none of the Wetek devices supports Amazon Prime Video and will never support it.
(2017-08-22, 09:41)lama0900 Wrote: I may have missed something, but AFAIK none of the Wetek devices supports Amazon Prime Video and will never support it.
Correct. I just came to the conclusion, that paying 100€ extra for Amazon Video is to much. I'll just kep the FTV for the rare occasions i need it. It's still working fine for that. Only Youtube and Kodi have been getting slower and slower...
IF a good used deal for just the Shield with remote, without game controller and all the fancy stuff pops up, i might get it. But currently, used prices are only a few bucks below new.
(2017-08-22, 10:03)domsch1988 Wrote:
(2017-08-22, 09:41)lama0900 Wrote: I may have missed something, but AFAIK none of the Wetek devices supports Amazon Prime Video and will never support it.
Correct. I just came to the conclusion, that paying 100€ extra for Amazon Video is to much. I'll just kep the FTV for the rare occasions i need it. It's still working fine for that. Only Youtube and Kodi have been getting slower and slower...
IF a good used deal for just the Shield with remote, without game controller and all the fancy stuff pops up, i might get it. But currently, used prices are only a few bucks below new.

I had a lot of problems with Amazon Prime Video on my shield. Paid Marvel seasons didn't play sometimes for example...so I would not use Nvidia shield again.
(2017-08-22, 12:23)lama0900 Wrote: I had a lot of problems with Amazon Prime Video on my shield. Paid Marvel seasons didn't play sometimes for example...so I would not use Nvidia shield again.

Good to know. I don't buy things on Amazon, i only watch the free prime stuff. None the less, it seems the fire tv is the only option for Prime then. Since it's sub 5% of our watching time anyways it doesn't bother me much, and saves me 100 bucks.
I don't get why amazon is so restrictive in that regard though. One might think they'd like to get as many people watching as possible...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need Advice for Prime/Netflix/Kodi/Android0