Need Advice for Prime/Netflix/Kodi/Android
(2017-08-22, 12:40)domsch1988 Wrote:
(2017-08-22, 12:23)lama0900 Wrote: I had a lot of problems with Amazon Prime Video on my shield. Paid Marvel seasons didn't play sometimes for example...so I would not use Nvidia shield again.

Good to know. I don't buy things on Amazon, i only watch the free prime stuff. None the less, it seems the fire tv is the only option for Prime then. Since it's sub 5% of our watching time anyways it doesn't bother me much, and saves me 100 bucks.
I don't get why amazon is so restrictive in that regard though. One might think they'd like to get as many people watching as possible...

I've never had any issues playing Amazon Video on the Shield.

As for paying "100€ extra for Amazon Video", it's not just that you're paying for. You're paying for much better hardware, the fact that the Shield gets updates regularly like getting the lastest version of Android (which means update APIs and new features) and a device that will have a much longer lifespan.

Not saying the Shield is something you should get, but it's not just one thing or another that make the Shield worth more. And you can't consider what apps work well or don't on any device since apps get broken and fixed all the time. An app could work well the day you by something and a month later it could break because of an update or because something is broken on the server side.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
The Wetek doesn't officially support android TV, the stock firmware is based on android for tablets. Ricardo's unofficial Android TV firmware is great, but it's based on Weteks buggy android marsmellow, and therefore has huge problems with videos in browsers.
If you get the wetek you should expect to use countless hours trying to fix various problems, and I'm afrid it will never be perfect.
So if you want something that just works, get the shield.
Please understand that I have no beef with wetek, their customer support is great, but sadly its seem every time wetek fix a bug a new bug is introduced.
What everyone has to be aware of is "there is no golden box" just degrees of usefulness, usability and reliability.

If you wanted you could also pick the eyes out of a NVIDIA Shield as well for features demanding Kodi users want regarding Audio as well as Video.
We have not even mentioned PVR's and high quality reliable deinterlacing yet either.

The most important point is to make sure that any long standing issues that any platform has is not going to affect a user personally ?

I dare say using a browser with any sort of Air Mouse on a TV screen is way way down most users lists of priorities with any Android platform.
Personally I would rather be waterboarded Wink

I do agree with one thing and that is WeTek need to pick up their game. Fixing bugs in Firmware lately seems very low priority vs what came before.
WeTek's reliance on 3rd parties like @Ricardo could see the wheels fall off if that bug fixing support ceases at any time going forward.

I'll second what @wrxtasy said.

Everything, and I do mean everything, whether we are talking about hardware or software, has bugs. The object is to find a device that doesn't have bugs (or at least less bugs) that affect you.

Anyone looking for a "perfect device" that does everything under the sun is going to be in for a long wait. This is especially true for any Android device, since not only is it still, relatively speaking, the new kid on the block when it comes being a media player, it also was never originally designed to be a Home Theater media player, so Google has had to a lot of catching up to bring those features to Android.

So just look for something that is in your price range, that's well supported and that has high recommendations (especially here). But keep in mind that just because one person, or even several, don't have issues with a specific device that doesn't mean that you won't. Everyone's setup is different, as are their needs.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need Advice for Prime/Netflix/Kodi/Android0