[Retro] Hardware upgrade or downgrade (Pioneer SX3700)
Our KODI server in our living room connects to our television via HDMI from a fanless NVidia GeForce 210 1GB video card. Audio is then sent from our Samsung TV to our "home theater in a box" Sony DAV-TZ140 via analog RCA cables. Sadly the DAV-TZ140 doesn't have HDMI or optical audio/TOSLINK IN (HDMI out only). I have access to a retro Pioneer SX-3700 and was wondering if it would provide better sound than the DAV-TZ140? Interestingly both models indicate they take speakers with 8ohm impedance. I'd lose the center channel and sub-woofer with the SX-3700 but I'm thinking it could drive much better speakers?

Obviously with the "home theater in a box" we're not sound connoisseurs. It would be nice to have 5.1 surround, but despite the DAV-TZ140's claim to provide this I think it only happens with DVDs played in the box, not from the analog signal coming from the television.

Our television has both optical audio and HDMI audio out. At some point I'll probably pick up an HDMI receiver, but for now that cash is going to a couple of 6TB drives and a new server setup.

Should I try the SX-3700 in place of the DAV-TZ140 or is it just better to wait longer until I can budget for a receiver with HDMI IN and better speakers?
Current KODI box:  Corsair Spec-01, Gigabyte H67MA-D2H-B3, Intel Core i7-2600, Corsair H60 (2018) AIO Water Cooler, 16GB RAM, 120GB Samsung SSD 840 + 8TB Seagate ST8000VN22-2EL, GeForce GTX 970 Video Card, running Xubuntu 20.04 and connected to a Samsung LN40A330 TV.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Retro] Hardware upgrade or downgrade (Pioneer SX3700)0