Kodi won't play anything
Very strange issue. When I click play on a movie the progress bar says 100 in the middle of the screen and then fades out and it's nothing but a black screen while the time advances on the movie. The same thing happens with streaming content, it will show the first frame and 100 buffered and then nothing more. And even stranger the same thing happens with music, it looks like it's playing but the bar doesn't advance. Also when I go to shut down, exit, or reboot the PC freezes. Nothing changed between yesterday and today so I don't even know where to begin solving this. Can anyone help?

Kodi 17.4
Windows 10

Log: https://pastebin.com/8m2064Zu

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Try a clean setup for starters. Rename in Windows' %appdata% folder your current Kodi configuration folder, and restart Kodi for a fresh start. Don't install addons, just play a local video and/or music file. If the problem persists, provide another log file.
Did as instructed, the issue remains.

New log file:

https://pastebin.com/RPcfCNJb
Looked at the log file, but can't see you trying to play anything. The issue you are experiencing must be captured in the log, or else it is of no use.

When you do play the movie, tell us the name. It makes it easier for us to search for it.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I think that's part of the problem, the file won't play. I did it again though, the file was A Dangerous Method. Doesn't look like it's in here, but here's the log:

https://pastebin.com/90cQzLy0
What happens then? You start Kodi, then select a movie to play. Press Play and it crashes? Is that correct?

---Edit---
Are you playing directly via Kodi, or using it as a uPNP server?
How old is your equipment. It looks to be about seven years old, but I can't distinguish the video card details. What do you have installed or is it integrated graphics? Check your system information for model numbers.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
When I click play on a movie the progress bar says 100 in the middle of the screen and then fades out and it's nothing but a black screen while the time advances on the movie. If it's streaming it freezes on the first frame. It doesn't crash, it just doesn't play. It's hard to describe, here's a little video of what happens:

https://youtu.be/-RN_QFbSKzA

Ignore the baby in the background...

I'm playing directly via Kodi. Yes, equipment is about 7 years old. Integrated graphics.

BIOSTAR TH61 ITX LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Intel Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge Dual-Core 2.4 GHz LGA 1155 65W BX80623G530 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics
Crucial 1GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model CT12864BA1067
WD Blue 500GB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 16MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD5000AAKX
Strange, the log is not showing that at all. Are you deleting sections out of the log? Are you exiting Kodi before accessing the log?

Intel HD Graphics- Need the specific model.
My Signature
You know what you're right, I was exiting, sorry. Here's a new paste, it definitely shows trying to play the movie now:

https://pastebin.com/57uwxfXh

I'm not sure how to answer the Intel HD Graphics model number question. It isn't the Celeron G530? I'm just copying and pasting the items from my Newegg order in 2012.
Just checking to see if anyone was able to figure out what was going on from that log file.

At this point I'm considering a full blown Windows reinstall but I'd like to avoid that if possible.
Hi Borgnine,

I can see the errors, but they are beyond my knowledge. Hopefully another member will be able to assist.
My Signature
So this is happening again. I did a complete Windows reinstall last time to fix the issue. I'd really rather not have to do that every few months.

Issue is the same as before. When I click play on a movie the progress bar says 100 in the middle of the screen and then fades out and it's nothing but a black screen while the time advances on the movie. The same thing happens with streaming content, it will show the first frame and 100 buffered and then nothing more. And even stranger the same thing happens with music, it looks like it's playing but the bar doesn't advance. Also when I go to shut down, exit, or reboot the PC freezes. Video plays fine through Windows.

I changed the name of my %appdata% folder and tried to play something to create a log:

https://pastebin.com/PCtTzTSx

Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on what's causing this. Thanks everyone for your help.
I would suggest asking in the video forum.  I don't really know anything about the videoplayer, but it looks in your log like DXVA rendering isn't working.  In the video player settings you might try one of the other options, or maybe in system hardware try full screen or full screen window to see if that results in playing the file.  But the folks in the video forum could probably sort this more quickly for you.

scott s.
The logs show you are using an unsupported audio device and videoplayer is trying to play an unsupported video format.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi won't play anything0