Easycap USB grabber
Is it possible to use (watch and record video) Easycap USB grabber in Kodi?
How can I set it up? I am newbie, so please explain it to me step by step.
My only experience with these devices is that they are cheap and nasty, prone to overheating and generally are not great.
That's just an analog video grabber. You need a proper digital tv tuner and PVR backend software that supports it.

PVR (wiki)
Kodi @ NVidia Shield Android TV, Asrock J3455-ITX (LibreELEC Server), Windows 10, and Nexus 7 (2013)
@maxtherabbit
Yeah, I know, what it is. But is it possible to watch the video, which is being grabbed, in Kodi?
(2017-08-23, 16:25)letomazim Wrote: @maxtherabbit
Yeah, I know, what it is. But is it possible to watch the video, which is being grabbed, in Kodi?

If you set up a suitable PVR backend that can interface with your capture device, then yes. However, Kodi does not handle any access to your capture device, that is handled through the PVR backend.

Therefore, research how Kodi interacts with the PVRs, and depending upon your OS and hardware, find a suitable PVR backend that can handle the capture device in the manner you want. Then, after your device is working natively with your PVR backend, you can set up the PVR client in Kodi to access your PVR backend,

Kodi doesn't handle pvrs or live tv on its own: it interfaces with other software to do so, but you must set up the other software yourself outside of Kodi. Read the PVR entry in the wiki.
@rpcameron
Thanks. I downloaded MythTV backend, set it up, but it seems I have next problem, when I try to start the backend. It fails with message:
Error: Failed to open device /dev/video0
But this device exists and for example mplayer can open it.
(2017-08-24, 17:08)letomazim Wrote: @rpcameron
Thanks. I downloaded MythTV backend, set it up, but it seems I have next problem, when I try to start the backend. It fails with message:
Error: Failed to open device /dev/video0
But this device exists and for example mplayer can open it.

Just because mplayer can open the device does not mean that MythTV (or the user that MythTV runs as) has the permissions to.

Get your backend running, then consider Kodi integration.
@rpcameron
So what should I do to get MythTV running? I don't understand, what problem with permissions there could be. I also tried running the backend as root and it still doesn't work.
You can try asking over at MythTV's forums for help specific to their backend if that's what you are choosing to use.
@rpcameron
Ok, I'll ask there. Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Easycap USB grabber0