new user
So guys I used to frequent the wmc forums back in the day when I started using media center in 2005 and xml guides.
Since then only one computer upgrade and cant even remeber what my curent system is, it just works and that is fine by me.

But we are building a new house and figured it's time to upgrade, only to find media center is no more WTF!

So that leads me to this site, if my old skills serve me right I am so far heading in the right direction by the looks of what i have read so far, but I now wear glass's have less hair and want to sit in front of a pc way less so want to get to where i need to go quicker before I get even older Sad

Just like my old trusty wmc I simply want to record a few TV programes from a guide on two or three tuners, skip the adds, play some locally stored video content or from a nas, look at family photos and play some music, will have a server somewhere in the house and am running a few cables around the place to a couple of tv's etc. I figure a new smart TV will do some of the other stuff we do on the wmc.

So before i start reading the pages to see whats best suits me in a preferably off the shelf small box does KODI do all this and a bit more?

Do these really small boxes I see around here do a good job and can they have at least two tuners?

Thanx for a place to learn Wink
This thread in the hardware forum has a lot of info about picking the right hardware for the job : https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
Kodi will playback your local content no problem, as well as doing a halfway decent job with pictures and music.

In regards to watching and recording live-TV, Kodi is just a front-end to another application which will do this. You will want to read up about PVR (wiki) and check out the corresponding forums at https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=167

EDIT: small additions, typos
Well, let me first say welcome.

The first thing you should do is read through the Start Here thread: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

Second, if you are going to ask about hardware, you need to do that in the appropriate sub-forum, specifically the Hardware sub-forum.

Third, you need to be more specific about what you're asking. What "small boxes", Android, NUC, Arm that runs LibreELEC? No one here is a mind reader and asking such a general question is not going to get you any answers.

As for tuners, again, too general. Are looking for built in, USB tuners, stand-alone tuners, what?
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Hey - welcome. I did this myself about a year and a half ago. Thankfully we removed and replaced all of the baseboards in the new place so I was able to run (2) cat6 cables to every room and location where a TV may eventually be.

What hardware do you currently have? What is a budget? What are the end goals? What is required for the WAF/HAF?
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
new user0