My dreams and odyssey of Live TV in Kodi (just want to vent)
First off this is not a Kodi problem it is a cable tv problem. And maybe i am an idiot.

I have been using OTA for live TV since 2013, the same time I began using xbmc/kodi.
I started out with an eyeTV hybrid on a mac mini and one tv.

A year ago switched to a HDHomerun connect and added 2 TV’s. I started with the Hdhomerrun kodi addon. It worked well for what it is but I really missed the ability to time shift (pause and rewind). So I switched to Tvheadend. At the same time I switched to LibreElec on my two chromeboxes and a raspberry pi 3. I am now a big fan of Libreelec! Tvheadend has worked well but setup was a challenge and I still need to add icons.

Last week I got he hair brained idea to go back to Cable TV (spectrum). So after much research and reading I ordered a Hdhomerun Prime. Picked up a cablecard and installed the unofficial Hdhomerun PVR app found on the Hdhomerun Kodi forum. The prime arrived and as the excitement of full DVR capabilities, fun graphics, easy to use guide and time shifting was building in my mind, it all came to a crushing disappointment.

Every channel was DRM!!!!! What the F***! The only channels that work are the locals we already had for free OTA. Shit!

I sold this glorious plan to my wife. How am I going to explain this? What am I going to do now?

So after more research, I am returning the prime.
One of our TV’s is a Roku TV, so I tested the spectrum app on it and it worked well enough ( no time shifting, $#@%%^&!). So I picked up a Roku Stick for one of the other TVs. Went back to Tvheadend with the OTA for local recording and time shifting.

Not ideal to say the least but we will give it a try for now and see.
My wife is not thrilled but is accustom to my kodi adventures, she is the best I still get to sleep in bed with her, for now.

If you have any other suggestions or ideas they are much appreciated.

Thank you for allowing me to vent.
Get a set top box that can access those channels and use a capture device. Mythtv supports this.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Use OTA, hdhomerun and Emby for time shifting. The unofficial hdhomerun add-on supports time shifting I believe.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
@nickr
that is an interesting idea i never ran across before.
i did a quick Google.
can you recommend any specifics?

Thank you
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD_PVR
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
@bry
thanks for the reply.
1) tried emby but was very unstable on a mac disappointing.
2) The unofficial hdhomerun add-on requires hdhomerun DVR subscription to get the guide.
Do you know if time shifting works without the dvr service?

EDIT: quick test and found the "unofficial hdhomerun add-on" does in fact work with the guide and time shift with no DVR subscription.
thank you for that going to give it a try.

@nickr
thanks for the info.
If I may ask…
I do not understand how a set top box, hauppauge hd-pvr, mythtv and kodi all come together.
Or do I misunderstand what you are suggesting?
Thanks again

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My dreams and odyssey of Live TV in Kodi (just want to vent)0