Playing Content On TV???
Ok, thanks for trying.

Conclusion: using Kodi risks killing our AppleTV.
Use a different remote then.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I don't think you're truly understand the concept. Air-Play from your computer is not really what Kodi is about for 99% of people who use it. In most instances people will simply buy something like an Android box or htpc which sits under the TV & is controlled by a remote control, in a similar way to a DVD/BluRay Player. It's not really designed with Air-Play from a computer in mind.
Thanks for the clarification. Let me see if I now get it.

Are you saying....

- Buy some storage device which can be controlled by remote.

- Copy your media to that storage device.

- Install Kodi on storage device.

- Connect storage device to TV via HDMI or other.

- View media on TV.

Is that is?

If not, could you correct it please?

Thanks.
Yes that's pretty much correct. You could also store your media on a NAS as opposed to the local device, either way will work fine.
Honestly, I just don't get why having to buy, learn, connect, and transfer 500GB of files to some new box makes my life easier, not to mention installing, learning and possibly debugging Kodi??

All that just so I don't have to get up off the couch, walk about 12 feet to the Mac to select the next file to Airplay to the TV? Wait, I can create a playlist in VLC that will keep me on the couch all evening.

I'm not arguing or trashing Kodi. If others are loving it, that's great, no complaints.

You were right when you said...

"I don't think you truly understand the concept."

That's it. I really don't.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Sorry to take up your time with this. I've been on the net too many years I guess, and my brain has turned to jello.
It's just another choice & is not for everyone. Some people still like to manipulate files using a DOS prompt, other prefer a drag & drop scenario using the GUI. Both ways work just fine, if you're happy to airplay from your mac using VLC then that's fine. Kodi just gives a more feature rich & better looking alternative. But if you literally just want to watch your content without the 'Home Theatre' experience of Kodi then VLC or any other Media Player will do the job just fine Smile
Actually the concept is more like:

* share your media from your mac via nfs of smb
* buy a cheap (US$40-90) media computer with a s905x chipset
* install LibreELEC (an operating system designed just to run Kodi) on said computer
* Point Kodi at your Mac
* enjoy.

No need to move your storage.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
True, but why do that when you can air-play it from your mac in the first place Smile
(2017-08-29, 15:54)Tanny Wrote: Honestly, I just don't get why having to buy, learn, connect, and transfer 500GB of files to some new box makes my life easier, not to mention installing, learning and possibly debugging Kodi??

All that just so I don't have to get up off the couch, walk about 12 feet to the Mac to select the next file to Airplay to the TV? Wait, I can create a playlist in VLC that will keep me on the couch all evening.

I'm not arguing or trashing Kodi. If others are loving it, that's great, no complaints.

You were right when you said...

"I don't think you truly understand the concept."

That's it. I really don't.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Sorry to take up your time with this. I've been on the net too many years I guess, and my brain has turned to jello.
Ease of use.
As mentioned you don't necessarily need to transfer your files you may be able to share it over your local network, you can then let kodi scrape and organise your files plus give you some nice fanart
Of course, there are various ways you can set up your media.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_video_sources
I am going to put in my 2c.

Kodi is a user interface that is designed to work from the couch in front of a TV versus a chair in front of a computer. Kodi can do many things with different plug ins but it sounds like you are just interested in playing recorded media. Kodi runs on a computer so you need some way to interface with the computer to move through the menus. The fact you have a Mac and and AppleTV I assume you have some smartphone or tablet, Android or iOS will work. There are many remote controls for the major mobile devices that will allow you to interact with your computer. I know the iOS side better than Android. On iOS there is Splashtop which mirrors your desktop on the tablet. Works great you can use the tablet just like you are sitting at the computer, down side screen resolutions start getting funny. RowMote can be a remote or a track pad on your device that will interface with a number of Mac applications. If you don't want to use Kodi but also don't want to get off the couch to toggle VLC RowMote will work from the couch.

To get your media from the hard drive to the TV you need some program running on a computer. That computer can be your Mac or a new HTPC. You can point either of those to where ever your current data files exist. Currently you say you are air playing from your computer to the TV. In reality your are air playing to the appleTV which is connected to your TV. I don't have an AppleTV so I don't have first hand knowledge of how that is set up. Someone else posted that air play is setup as a 2nd monitor. If that is the case simply tell Kodi to open on your air play monitor and use one of the many remotes available to a mobile device to control it.

Last real geeky option is to jailbreak the AppleTV and install Kodi on that. Now you have the remote for the AppleTV and your media on your computer.
There is no jailbreak for appletv4.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playing Content On TV???0